1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Installed an intake heater on my CT322

Discussion in 'Compact Track/Multi Terrain Loaders' started by Kxnate, Feb 28, 2019.

1. Kxnate

Kxnate Well-Known Member

So the month of February has been brutal in Montana, really cold and lots of snow. The old girl doesn't like starting in single digit temps above and below zero even while being plugged in without many glow plug cycles and lots of cranking. So, since I didn't really want to nuke my starter if I could avoid it, and I don't have the ability to park it inside, I've been racking my brain trying to figure out how to get it to start easier, excluding ether. Then it hit me, my Cummins pickup has an intake heater and that system seems to work great as it starts in below zero temps without even being plugged in no problem. So I thought why not put an intake heater on the skidsteer? Have used it the last 2 nights after getting home from work, and she fires right off now.
    :D
    :D
    20190227_173937.jpg

kshansen likes this.
  2. mg2361

mg2361 Senior Member

Equipment Mechanic/Technician
    That's awesome:D! I wonder if Deere will carry those....LOL:p?

Kxnate likes this.
  3. Kxnate

Kxnate Well-Known Member

I should probably patent it before they market it as an $500.00 accessory :D

mg2361 likes this.
  4. thepumpguysc

thepumpguysc Senior Member

Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
    :D.. I thought I was gonna scroll down & see a "grid heater" set-up.. which woulda been WAY KOOL..
    The ole' hair drier trick does work tho.. GOOD THINKIN'..
    Basically, that's all a grid heater does.. just at a MUCH higher temp..

Kxnate likes this.
  5. kshansen

kshansen Senior Member

Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
    One suggestion, wipe it off real good before sneaking it back in the bathroom or wifey might catch on!

Kxnate likes this.
  6. Kxnate

Kxnate Well-Known Member

Lol, definitely

kshansen likes this.
  7. Jmichaelis11

Jmichaelis11 Member

Good to know I'm not alone, my CT322 is not a huge fan of anything below teens in the winter.

Kxnate likes this.
  8. Kxnate

Kxnate Well-Known Member

The hair dryer makes a huge difference!!

Last edited: Mar 1, 2019
  9. kshansen

kshansen Senior Member

Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
    If I had time to do enough searching I bet there is somewhere on the inernet thing that would explain in detail why that is so. Basically with a compression ignition engine you have to raise the temperature in the cylinder above the ignition point of the fuel. I bet there is a fine line from making lots of white smoke and getting that fuel to burn. So raising the intake air 20 degrees just puts you over that threshold.

Had an old Mack tractor that would not start after being parked over night in below freezing temps and to make it worse the batteries were not exactly fresh. As luck would have it the Mack was loaded with a blacktop spreader and those spreader operators always had one of those large weed burner propane torches to clean off the machines at the end of the day. Had operator fire up the torch and take a couple fast passes along the intake manifold and that puppy fired up like it was the middle of August!

10. Kxnate

Kxnate Well-Known Member

Yeah I knew sucking in that 0 degree air was just putting the fire out so to speak, and that warming up the air it was sucking would help a ton, just wasn't really sure if a hair dryer was going to be enough or not but turns out it works like a charm.

11. DIYDAVE

DIYDAVE Senior Member

Friend of mine swears by putting an unlit propane torch, into the aur filter housing, with the valve turned on about halfway, while cranking, will start just about any small diesel. I never tried it, but can't see that it would do any harm, as ether can...;)

12. Camshawn

Camshawn Well-Known Member

Just remember, plastics can melt and distort with too much heat..and ok to melted in no time. Ask me how I know.
    Cam

13. Birken Vogt

Birken Vogt Charter Member

I was out in the sticks, so far in the sticks it was like an adventure movie, with a Mitsubishi S3L2 with a bad glow plug relay or something.

I remembered all these threads so I thought I would try everything "they" always said.

Unlit propane - no go
    Gasoline on rag/poured into manifold while cranking - nothing
    Flammable brake cleaner sprayed into intake - nothing (this kind of brake cleaner is very similar to gasoline)
    Lit propane torch directed into manifold - immediate easy start. Actually it was cold enough that I took the torch away too soon and it started to stall, add the torch back and it took right back off again

14. Kxnate

Kxnate Well-Known Member

Yeah, I only put the blow dryer on "warm" not "hot" so as not to hurt the plastic.

Camshawn likes this.