• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Injector Pump is off, Won't line up.

rutwad

I was able to get the injector pump off the Case 530CK. But I have something wrong
  • Valves on front cylinder are closed.
  • I see the marks on the clutch or whatever it is
  • Injector pump shaft sitting at 11 and 5 o'clock with dot at 11
  • I see both marks in injector pump window away from engine
  • Dot inside injector pump is at 5 o'clock position.

If I turn it to the 11 o'clock position, the marks will align inside the pump window toward the engine. But shouldn't I be looking at the one away from the engine?

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Isn't that a Stanadyne pump? That shaft should have a tab on the end of it that's offset off of center, lines up with a matching offset/center notch inside the pump, it will only go together with the tab lined up with the notch, can't get it wrong. Or am I missing something here? :beatsme

bvfdfire

Occupation
project superintendent for highway heavy construct
The dots have to line up, its off-center so that it can't timed 180 out.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
The dots have to line up, its off-center so that it can't timed 180 out.

Yes, that's what I was thinking, the shaft can only be installed into the pump in one position and one position only, the tab and notch will not allow it to go together in any other orientation, no? Or are we talking about a Stanadyne that has the shaft removed from the timing gear?

bvfdfire

Occupation
project superintendent for highway heavy construct
Is the throttle lever wired back? if not, the governor plates could be dropped down enough to not allow complete seating.

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
Just line up the dots.. if the shaft in the engine dot is at 11:00.. get a long screwdriver and turn the inside of the pump to match..
AND use the window by the name plate on the pump to set your lines..
Did you set your lines inside the pump BEFORE you pulled it?? if so.. whoever did the rebuild, didn't check the timing before sending it back, otherwise, they would have already been inline and ready to install..
Good luck and let us know how it works out.

rutwad

Pictures. Please look.

I agree with you all. But when I align the offset and dots on the shaft with the pump, the timing marks on the side of the pump are 180 degrees off. That's why I'm confused. The shaft hasn't been pulled from the tractor, so the gears and shaft should all be correct. This isn't the same pump that was on the tractor. My dad ordered a rebuilt pump.

How can I tell if the governor plates have dropped? And what would allow them to drop when not on the tractor vs. the pump installed? I started removing the pump without throttle tied back. I actually had slid the pump part of the way off the shaft, far enough the umbrella seals were just visible. Then I read the throttle has to be tied back, so I did at that time.

I have pictures to load if I can get them resized.

THANK YOU FOR THE INFO AND ANY MORE GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!! My father's health is declining. He has owned this backhoe 40+ years. It was actually delivered the day he and my mother (passed away 3 years ago) were married in 1970. He has replaced a lot of parts on the front axle and ordered 2 new front wheels and tires. He wants to see it run again, mostly for sentimental reasons. The man that my dad had remove the pump did so over 3 years ago. He could not get it running, so I tried (I'm NO mechanic). I didn't have any luck either, so it has sat waiting on promises from mechanics to come out and fix it. It appears no one is coming so I am desperately trying to fix it for my dad. We have a Cat 416C, so this older Case is just for him.

Attachments

• Case 530 059.jpg
    Case 530 059.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 1,081
  • Case 530 058.jpg
    Case 530 058.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 1,079
  • Case 530 051.jpg
    Case 530 051.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 1,075
  • Case 530 055.jpg
    Case 530 055.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 1,086
Last edited:

rutwad

If you can tell from the pictures you can see both marks on side of pump. You can see marks inside clutch housing. And you can see the dot on the shaft at 11 o'clock, inside injector pump at 5 o'clock. Really confused.

rutwad

Thanks. I just opened them with Paint and reduced to about 25%. I hope the details are still viewable.
Rutwad, here is a link to a FREE picture resizer that I use. It is available for windows and macs both. It is super easy to use and you can select any size you want the resulting resized picture to be. 600x400 is the maximum size for these forums. http://bluefive.pair.com/pixresizer.htm

Last edited:

hosspuller

Wait ... you said: " ...The man that my dad had remove the pump did so over 3 years ago. He could not get it running, so I tried (I'm NO mechanic). I didn't have any luck either, so it has sat waiting on promises from mechanics to come out and fix it. ..."

Any chance this man installed the pump 180 degrees out of time? ... before you pulled it? So that's why the engines hasn't been started??

rutwad

I really don't know anything about this, so please forgive me for continuing to ask questions. lantraxco, when you say "timing gear" I assume you are talking about a gear that the front of the pump shaft is connected to. The shaft wasn't removed from the backhoe, so won't it still be set correctly?

thepumpguysc

Occupation
ALOT OF UNKNOWNS..!!!
First of all.. the pump you showed in the pic.. 3042 is for a 450A tractor with a 207 engine..
The pump for a 530CK is a 2550 with a 188 engine..
Another thing is.. the weight retainer "could have" been put on 180* out of time..
1 way you can check is.. while the pump is off the engine.. put air to the outlet on the head at the 7:00 position.. looking at the back of the pump..
turn the inside of the pump, in the correct direction of rotation.. when it stops. that's #1 start of delivery.. and the lines SHOULD BE in the window..
I hope this helps and didn't confuse you any further..

rutwad

Old pump

This is the pump taken off originally. So will this different pump work?

ALOT OF UNKNOWNS..!!!
First of all.. the pump you showed in the pic.. 3042 is for a 450A tractor with a 207 engine..
The pump for a 530CK is a 2550 with a 188 engine..
Another thing is.. the weight retainer "could have" been put on 180* out of time..
1 way you can check is.. while the pump is off the engine.. put air to the outlet on the head at the 7:00 position.. looking at the back of the pump..
turn the inside of the pump, in the correct direction of rotation.. when it stops. that's #1 start of delivery.. and the lines SHOULD BE in the window..
I hope this helps and didn't confuse you any further..

Attachments

• Case 530 046.jpg
    Case 530 046.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 1,033
Last edited:

thepumpguysc

Occupation
The pump you have now is for a 207 engine.. you have a 188.. the pump has the same internal parts as the old pump except the governor spring.. AND the fuel is turned WAY UP..
about 30% over your original pump.. not good.. if you get it to start, theres a good chance you'll melt a piston in the very near future and she's gonna black smoke like a freight train..
You never mentioned if you had lined up the lines BEFORE YOU removed the pump..
Check the position of the weight retainer, using air to the 7:00 hole, [looking at the back of the pump]..turn the pump w/ a screwdriver counter clockwise, looking at the front of the pump..

rutwad

I did manage to get it started once about 4 years ago. It blew more smoke than a freight train and only would run at WOT. So I left it alone. When I removed the pump, I did have everything lined up. However the first guy just took it off without lining anything up.

My dad erred in getting the replacement pump. The old pump was tested afterwards and said to be good, so I will put it back on instead. But it sits at the same position as the new pump, so lines will not align on it either. And the throttle isn't tied back. Guess it needs to go back to the pump shop to have that fixed.

Only thing I have thought of, could I have mistaken the intake and exhaust valves? What if it is TDC on exhaust stroke, that would make the engine 360 degrees off. So if I turn it 360 degrees, the marks in the clutch housing would still be viewable but the pump shaft would be 180 degrees from current position, correct?

Does anyone know which valve is intake and exhaust on the 530? I based it on the front most valve being exhaust and next the intake.

Thanks again. I want to get this running no later that this weekend! Hopefully I am on the right track.

Tinkerer

Remove the valve cover, front one if it is a two piece cover. If you are on true TDC you will be able to wriggle both rocker arms up and down on the valves for #1 piston. Unless they are so far out of adjustment (tight) that they can't move. Being that tight would be quite unlikely.

rutwad

Alright!! I am excited with all the helpful information!! Hopefully I can get my father's backhoe up and running very soon. I am sure I will be back here shortly with more questions, but at least things seem to be progressing.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Remove the valve cover, front one if it is a two piece cover. If you are on true TDC you will be able to wriggle both rocker arms up and down on the valves for #1 piston. Unless they are so far out of adjustment (tight) that they can't move. Being that tight would be quite unlikely.

Agree with Tinker here. If it is at TDC on #1 BOTH valves will be loose on #1 cylinder. No need to know which is which. And yes a diesel can run if pump is installed 180% off, been there know that!