• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

information on tank,and scrapping or parting out old equipment

huntin24/7

was wondering about any information on this tank,one of the guys thats gonna be scrap metal for us said the metal in this tank could bring $5.00 a lb,and another said i could sell it to a farmer for $4,000 for a culvert.also we're getting ready to scrap out about 500 tons of metal,and was wondering if it would be better to find out if any people would be interested in buying any parts? we have 3 older cat 977 dozers,cat 955 wheel loader,4 old john deere backhoes, a smaller cat dozers,several old graders older dump trucks and trailers....and tons more

Attachments

• 014.jpg
    014.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 1,755
  • 042.jpg
    042.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 1,656
  • 043.jpg
    043.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 1,801

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
I moved the thread to the demolition forum. In the Equipment For Sale/Wanted forum only the original thread starter can make posts. Good luck.

EarthRockHill

Occupation
Industrial Photographer
There is a lot of people out there that love to buy older equipment and restore them.
Do you have any photos of the CAT 977's?

Try The Historical Construction Equipment website.... they might have an answer for you!!!

http://www.hcea.net/

Jimbo

I have several tanks like that used for livestock water storage at the ranch. It will weigh in the neighborhood of 12,000 lbs, and is not any special alloy, just hot rolled plate steel.
I would recommend selling it for a culvert--far more profitable than scrapping.

tonka

Occupation
Equipment Operator
That tank would make a good culvert, but $5 bux a pound, no way. Even if you process it it wouldnt bring over $2 bux a lb. As for the Equipment please post pics, also you can sell them on Equipment Trader or even Ebay... in parts or whole...

Turbo21835

Right now off the street price for prepared iron, 2ftx4ft, is going for $280 a ton. At that price, assuming it is 12,000lbs, or 6 tons, you get $1,680, before taxes. Some scrap yards will take that out, others will 1099 you on that money at the end of the year.

You mention graders, any that would be a pull behind grader for a tractor?

huntin24/7

ya i have pictures of the machinery...43 pics, is there a way to post a link to veiw them all on photobucket

diggerdave1958

Well hunting24/7 i think u can probley part out some of those machine for more than scrap, and i would love to come and look over some of that equipment i am always looking for a project :D

sawmilleng

Whats the story behind this?

Huntin,
What is the story behind all this stuff? Was it the yard of a privately-owned construction company where the owner simply shut it down when he retired? And kind of forgot about it?

It's a heck of a treasure trove for the right people who want an old project! You should be able to do well by a combination of selling/parting out/scrapping out stuff, depending on the amount of time you have to get the job done. Given time, it looks like it could be a lot of fun!

Jon.

huntin24/7

well it was my grandpa's.Which he passed away this september.So my dad and me are taking over the asphalt paving and sealing part.We were in the asphalt,and demoliton work. he started his company way back,when he got out of the army,to this day we have been in the asphalt,and paving work 48 years.he collected alot of machinery from the army,and other places. back in the 1950's thru the 1980's we were a pretty big operation. but as he got older and his health got worse.he just kinda let it all go.

heres some new pictures of the machinery we're scrappin....

http://s848.photobucket.com/albums/ab43/kyle8010/scrappin metal/

Pecord Exc

:(Really! Ya just had to throw in that last set of pics!! I will mourn with a moment of silence for all that potential just sold for scrap metal....

huntin24/7

I hear ya,it almost brought a tear to my eye,when they cuttin all that machinery up,I tried to find buyers,but i'm new to the internet...we did save one of our 977 cat's,and one of our 950 cat rubber tire loader,and a couple john deere backhoes,and the BIG tank,which i'm trying to find a buyer for it....it would make a good culvert,or goose hunting pit.

fredb

Occupation
former operator
Cat 977 H

Dear huntin24/7
Having looked at your 2 pictures, I would like to ask you a few questions about this 977 H.
Thank you

fredb