• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Inexperienced Excavator death Company fined .

stock

Occupation
We have moved on and now were lost....
£80,000 fine following young man's crush death
Date:
15 January 2010

A Wales construction company has been fined after one of its employees had his head crushed at a site in Gloucestershire.

Macob Administration Limited, based in Bridgend, was charged by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) after 23-year-old. Lance Taylor from Thornbury, Bristol, was killed while working on a construction site at Chestnut Walk in Abbeymead, Gloucester on 11 February 2005

Mr Taylor was driving a mini digger − which he was not qualified to operate - and unintentionally hit a lever as he leaned out of the cab window. The digging arm of the vehicle was raised, crushing his head between the cab and the arm. He suffered fatal injuries and was pronounced dead on site.

Gloucester Crown Court heard Macob Administration Ltd pleaded guilty to breaches under Regulation 9(1) and 28(a) of the Provision and Use of Work Equipment Regulations 1998. The company was fined £40,000 for each charge and ordered to pay costs of £29,798.14 today (15 January 2009).

Speaking after the hearing, HSE inspector, Martin Lee, said:

"This terrible incident highlights the extremely serious risks posed by equipment and vehicles on sites if the workers using them don't have adequate training or are not versed in safe working procedures.

"Mr Taylor and other site workers were not all properly trained to use the equipment they were handling and, just as seriously, vehicle keys were routinely left in the machines. As a result, the vehicles were accessible to anyone on site, regardless of their qualifications.

"It is imperative that on any construction site using plant and machinery there are systems in place to control access to the vehicles. Construction site managers need to know which workers on site are qualified to operate the machinery and that their control systems are working effectively."

excav8r

Occupation
Equipment Operator
What a horrible way to go. wonder what he was doing that would of put him between the cab and the boom while still able to touch controls.
A great reminder of the importance of lock out switches and why they should be used at all times especially on open cab machines.
believe it or not but i have seen guys exit mini ex's through the front while they are running and not use the lock out

Digger Dan

Funny I was looking at how close the boom comes to the cab on my Kubota today and was thinking how dangerous it could be, Sad to hear this news for the young lad and his family.

Cat is ALL

Extremely unfortunate, but I never like how the company gets fined for human error. If the company knew he wasn't qualified and said" screw it put him on it," then maybe they deserve it. When any employee puts themselves in stupid situations that could get them injured or killed it makes me cringe that they fine the company ridiculous amounts of money for something that the guy shouldn't have been doing.

stock

Occupation
We have moved on and now were lost....
but I never like how the company gets fined for human error. If the company knew he wasn't qualified and said" screw it put him on it," then maybe they deserve it. When any employee puts themselves in stupid situations that could get them injured or killed it makes me cringe that they fine the company ridiculous amounts of money for something that the guy shouldn't have been doing.

The way the law is structured here all employers are guilty and the only way to minimise the guilt is to do proper training. From site inductions,toolbox talks,safe pass the list is endless.If you can prove that the rules were being followed on the site and it was an isolated incident then your guilt is vastly reduced.We all know that there is no cure for stupidity but if an employer can prove that he had said no incompetent operators allowed then a portion of guilt lies with the injured party.
Under our law a Competent person is one who has received training experience and knowledge to carry out their job safely.

Hendrik

I have an automatic habit of engaging the lock out lever whenever I get off the seat but as the KX41-3 series have a bad design in that the boom swivel will still function even with the lock out engaged I always try to put the bucket on the ground when I am leaving the machine unless I am changing buckets.
I must get into the habit of flicking up the boom swivel pedal when I am not using that function.
Funny how it is easier to learn bad habits than good habits:beatsme

Cat is ALL

That seems like a fair rule stock, I seem to be a little more pro company then pro worker. Not that I think workers should be denied what is due to them, some just seem to take advantage of the system.

heavylift

I'll pull the lock-out lever when some one come up and starts talking about something....

then you have companies that just put warm bodies on equipment...

lynchy

Occupation
Plant operator
worked on job recently,people reaching into unoccupied digger cab to reach across and adjust bucket ram,standing on track with locking lever up!!!!!!!told them so many times,worst offender moved digger by pushing track levers,machine body cross cariage while walking along track as it moved,this from an operator with 1 year experience,do people alwyays have to learn the hard way?????

tootalltimmy

I have heard from my older friends about how they learned to operate equipment. A lot of the times it was just jump on something when the operator went for lunch. If the boss asked if they could run a certain machine the answer was always yes. They would figure it all out once they got on.

Now the company must have training, tool box meetings before each days work, safety meetings, site orientation and it all must be written down and records kept. If someone gets killed and rules are broken there will be fines for sure. Both companies and employees are expected to follow the safety rules or pay the consequences.

John White

Just one slip up and it could cost us our life. I am safety conscious, as I work by mself and no one around if I have a accident. Had a skid steer with a backhoe on it. I had just finished up a job and it was late and had been raining. I was tring to get loaded up before the ground got soft and I got stuck. Had a trailer with wooden boards in the loading ramps. Boards was wet and slick, mud on skid tires and my boots were wet and muddy. Started up the ramp on the trailer and started spinning. Couldnt get any traction. Did a very foolish thing without thinking and being in a hurry. Was at a angle on the loading ramps, decided if I externded the dipper stick that it would put more weight further out, leaned over to push control on backhoe and foot sliped and immideatly raised the skid steer bucket, crushing my rib cage, I managed to get my foot off of the pedal. Broke two ribs. A little more and would have totally crushed me.