• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Inexperienced and Young Tech Egos

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
The one that always rubbed me the wrong way was, the new guy would ask u about something, u give him the step by step and would immediately walk over to another tech and ask the same question.!! And if he STILL didn’t get the answer he WANTED, he’d keep asking.??
It got to the point VERY QUICKLY that the answer to any questions he’d ask was, Do it any way you want, cuz that’s what your going to do anyway.!!
I had plenty of bosses and company owners that did that when I was younger. They would actually hunt down anyone who would give them the answer they wanted to hear. I had a couple where the lucky winner of that lottery got the job. It was either screwed up or cost way outside of any budget money that was left.

Truck Shop

Some of this has to do with left side/right side of brain perspective, at least for completing the job.
Everyone has their strong and weak points. Electrical repair/trouble shooting some grasp it right
off some struggle. Fabrication is one area-many are great at welding but can't see weak points
in a design. Plus welding/fabrication is a extreme ego area. For some reason men can't walk past
without critiquing others welding skills. A bead of molten metal can bring on a hour long discussion
of how pretty it is-never mind the fact does it really contain any strength. { Oh boy I knew a guy
that could overhead and it looked like a row of dimes, didn't stick worth a **** but it sure was purdy}.

BigWrench55

I spent my whole career working under incompetent management and I had my fill of it. As soon as I am out of debt (1.5 years) I will be retiring from turning wrenches. Then I can afford to take a lesser paying job that isn't so hard on me. And the heavy equipment world can kiss me where the sun don't shine. :D

muddog1975

When I started, I had a respect for the older mechanics, and had a great manager. He told me when the older mechanics talk or try to show you something.....you shut your mouth and come with your hat in had and listen. The old field mechanics ruined me.. showing me short cuts to doing jobs and how to handle situations....cause Field Service gets it done. ...GO FIELD SERVICE!

Slidey

Occupation
HD fitter
There’s a young cub working with us now.

Our dept works with the big gear, 600t diggers so we don’t get many inexperienced people out here, it’s just too “dangerous” despite all the safety precautions on site.

Young bloke who wasn’t even born when I finished my apprentice ship is like talk back radio. Never ending verbal diarrehab.

Eventually he was told, you’ve got two ears and one mouth for a reason..

sfrs4

Occupation
parts admin
I spent my whole career working under incompetent management and I had my fill of it. As soon as I am out of debt (1.5 years) I will be retiring from turning wrenches. Then I can afford to take a lesser paying job that isn't so hard on me. And the heavy equipment world can kiss me where the sun don't shine. :D
It doesn't get any better anywhere else, unfortunately management is now made up of people who went to college to learn what it took older employees 25 years of on the job training, but because they have a participation certificate from an online college they will always think they know more than you, they then employ people to fill positions above you that have the same certificates and verbal diarrhoea thus the circus continues, your best hope is to find somewhere doing something that doesn't require a lot of management input.

chidog

Well if any of you have ever worked a car dealership you would know there's a pecking order in the shops.
Some are worse than others. Working flat rate causes most to keep to themselves, they don't tend to lend or
ask for help. Because in most cases that cuts into flat rate hours depending whos asking and whos answering.
More than likely the X-GM guy above was use to that environment and just hasn't settled down yet.

But as far as egos are concerned {Cat Dealer Shops are the worst by far}. {I have Whites Boots, Short Pants,
A Hickory Shirt with Cat labeled guy wires, and I sh!t Cat Yellow}. Dealt with too many of those types, at the
parts counter, service desk and working the floor.

The best thing to do is tell both if you need a hand don't be afraid to ask. If they are not humble enough
to ask then they will sink on their own or start swimming.
Yes Cat dealer shops, along with the ego's of the fresh out of mechanic school think they know it all's, back in the early 90's. Horrible experiences!
Jealousy and fear of losing their job to a new comer.

mekanik

I have worked with quite a few young know it all mechanics. Once you
know it all you no longer need to learn. I always told the apprentices I
worked with that once they became licensed mechanics they were now
qualified to work and learn on their own. Mechanical repair is a constantly
changing trade and the to learn never stops.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Explained to a lot of newbies, "The Service manuals are on the shelf" to those struggling and would only ask to save their butts. One new kid wanted to know how to properly run a DD Rack, so I ran one in front of him, he said "OK but can you do that slower so I can remember," I sad "NO this is a production shop, read the manual and get some practice, but keep a piece of plywood handy." He did not pickup on that last comment until one ran away with another tech. He always had his chunk a wood on the engine after a tune or rack run after that.

Zewnten

Now they added two "interns" to the shop. Even though they've been through auto school and now they're in heavy diesel school they have no idea how to do anything, no basic troubleshooting with a multimeter, don't listen to anything even "get the **** out of the way before the cylinder crushes you!" They won't buy tools, nothing fancy; set of import angle wrenches and 1/2 drive crowfoots so they can change hoses, they both live with parents and the company pays them so they have money. And wow are they lazy, if you're not after them they just wander off with their hands in their pockets and then the shop manager is after me about why I'm not keeping them busy. He's the one who's supposed to be training them but he can barely handle keeping up with my work list.

Sorry rant over.

AzIron

Now they added two "interns" to the shop. Even though they've been through auto school and now they're in heavy diesel school they have no idea how to do anything, no basic troubleshooting with a multimeter, don't listen to anything even "get the **** out of the way before the cylinder crushes you!" They won't buy tools, nothing fancy; set of import angle wrenches and 1/2 drive crowfoots so they can change hoses, they both live with parents and the company pays them so they have money. And wow are they lazy, if you're not after them they just wander off with their hands in their pockets and then the shop manager is after me about why I'm not keeping them busy. He's the one who's supposed to be training them but he can barely handle keeping up with my work list.

Sorry rant over.

That's an easy fix no tools equals no pay check in any shop I went in and for young guys learning i had one mechanic i learned a lot from he would charge me rent on any tool i borrowed to make me not want to borrow it