• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

In The Market For GPS Rover And Base Station

Beachbum0286

Looking for everyones opinion. I'm in the market for a GPS rover and base station. I have no experience with GPS and am looking for some input. I have priced Trimble Topcon and AGL, in that order they are most expensive to cheapest with Trimble being almost twice as expensive as AGL. What are the advantages and dis advantages of each system? I do see going to machine control in the next couple years, we have mostly late model (2011+) cat machines that currently run lasers and are ready for GPS from what I understand. I'm currently setting up demos with each system but would like to hear what everyone else has to say about them. Thanks for your input.

durtmvr

Occupation
Currently Finish Blade Operator, Previously Genera
Just due to the fact your iron is GPS ready, I would go with the Trimble, although I prefer the Topcon. I believe the Topcon is easier to control, model, navigate, bench, and cuts better grade on machine controls. This seems kind of odd to me because I have always been a die hard Trimble/Geodimeter/Blade Pro/Spectra Physics/Spectra Precision kind of guy. Wait a minute.....Topcon has always been Topcon?

KyleM

Occupation
GPS and Technology Manager
If you are looking to go to machine control in the future you don't want to mix brands as it becomes a real pain. Trimble is more expensive and always will be as that is the segment of the market that they are in, however they will typically deliver newer technologies faster for that price premium. From a base/rover stand-point, you likely won't see much of a difference in terms of accuracies, radio range etc, the variances are in the ease of use and the service that your local dealer will provide. I currently use Trimble and am running an IBSS as it is suitable for my work and have not had any issues with it.

Cheers,