• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

I'm thinking of buying one of these....

Natman

https://elliottequip.com/products/boomtruck-cranes/10-18-tons/1870cp-boomtruck/

Used, from a buddy who followed my lead out of construction (actual work) into to watching people work from the comfort of a seated position. I sold him 2 of my rigs (17 ton Terex and then my Manitex 22101S, and he went on to develop quite the business for himself. This 2007 ( no DEF BS) Elliott is pretty unique in it's configeration. Out and downs, a seat, continuous rotation, in a 17 tonner, kind of an oddball. New ones are now rated at 18 tons. It is being currently worked, but the old guy he hired is re-retiring, and it will be surplus as he still has 3 other rigs. 50K. No leaks, IH chassis with their small 6 banger diesel and a six speed, the same setup I had in my Terex 17 ton. It may actually get into the double digits during highway travel! A narrow 17'+ span on the outriggers, and being rear mounted pretty far back on the chassis would allow it to get into tighter sites, and make the most of the 70' of boom. It also has a 40' 2 part jib. It's a little rig, compared to my 30 ton National, but would be somewhat adequate as a backup to the Nat, and useful for the smaller jobs where my rig is overkill.

Especially like the job I had Friday....a 2.5 hour drive one way, in Mackay Idaho, to set trusses on a shop that didn't need more then 60' of stick. This area is totally unserved by anyone except those of us in the "big" cities several hours away. My 40+ years of living in this area, and my appreciation of it's scenic beauty, especially from the air when I'm flying, makes me think it's going to do nothing but continue to slowly expand/get built up. I have a buddy with land at the local airstrip, right by the main highway into town. Parked there, with a sign on it, would make me the logical choice over paying travel time from the city. The Elliott would also serve as a backup (for the smaller jobs of course) when the National was down. The thought of a 50K write off is attractive also. My next thing to do is check with my insurance guy and see what my rates would be with one driver but two rigs.

crane operator

I'd check pretty close what international engine is in it. If its a DT466 or 530 inline 6, I think those are good engines. If its a "maxxforce" engine, I think you want to stay away. I think the "maxxforce" engines started in 2008, so it shouldn't be one of those.

Is it just a single axle rear? No tandems? I'd check and make sure it will scale in idaho. I know a lot of the bigger elliot sign trucks won't scale as a single axle rear here in mo.

Elliot is known as having really good sign trucks, when they started making boom trucks as "cranes", they were really out of their element. I don't know of anyone that had one of the early boom trucks, that really liked them. I know a salesman that sold quite a few early on, and everyone that bought one, sold it, and didn't buy a new elliot to replace it. Most went to a national or manitex.

Natman

It has the DT 466. Good point on the single axle, which it has, I guess I was just assuming it'd scale OK here, like my 17 ton Terex's did. Their larger units don't interest me at all but for some reason this oddball one does, kind of like picking the ugliest dog at the pound, which I've done a few times. The Manitex 101S is the smallest boom truck i know of with a seat and down and outs, other then this thing.

IMG_20200612_164114015_HDR.jpg IMG_20200612_104216884_HDR.jpg Here's a pic of my "big" job north of Mackay, 5 hrs of driving that day, for these little trusses on a small building. And a pic of what happened on the drive home, having 4 less tires/1 less axle wouldn't hurt for these long drives/little jobs.

crane operator

Looks like it was a little hard on the fender bracket too. Hot weather is hard on tires. Low tire pressure gets them also, and its easy to pick up a screw/nail/ rebar on all the jobsites.

I actually think you are better off with tandems and a little less weight on each axle, than a single axle loaded up heavy.

That Mack sure is a pretty truck. Are you sure you want a international?

having 4 less tires/1 less axle

You could look at it this way also- in the second rig, you are adding 6 more tires, two more axles, and doubling all your maintenence and moving parts. Engine, hydraulics, batteries, lights, wiring, the list goes on and on and on. :)

hosspuller

You could look at it this way also- in the second rig, you are adding 6 more tires, two more axles, and doubling all your maintenence and moving parts. Engine, hydraulics, batteries, lights, wiring, the list goes on and on and on. :)

I believe Natman is thinking of commuting, er.. flying to p/u his trade tool parked near the airport. Business Expense ! ;)

Natman

A quick talk with my insurance man quickly brought me back to reality. Not to mention an additional expense of another rig to license. Crane op's point of gaining, not losing additional rolling hardware is brilliant, I hadn't thought of it that way! As far as having it as a partial backup when my National is down, with all the money I'll save by not buying it, I can afford to just not work until it's back up.

The fender and it's attach bracket isn't going back on, I have good mud flaps and don't much care about the bottom of the bed so no big loss. I'll just continue to make the drive in the National, for the half dozen (at most) jobs I have in the area per year.

There is more work in the area then that, but that's been my share of it the last few years. But, I do plan on asking my friend with a hangar right by the highway, if I could put a professionally made advertising sign on it. 20 bucks a month, paid in advance every year, I think he'll jump on it, it's just dead space, can't even park anything there. That will give me even more to complain about, when I get all the crane work in the area! I do know I am the only operator who also recreates in the area, the other ones just see any work there as an annoyance, from what I'm told, I jump on it.

Tradesman

Occupation
Contractor
I was wiped out every night this week and didn’t get around to replying. I liked my Elliott and would of considered another one but my closest dealership was just awful to deal with, but over the years that I had it I found the Elliott support people in Omaha awesome.
You likely are right not too get another one, because then you’d likely hire someone to run it and then you’d end up working for your employees instead of yourself. LOL.

Natman

I can buy a lot tires annually for the National, just for what the insurance and registration would cost me for a second rig. I also have the National so customized to my needs, that I'm spoiled. Onboard ebike, coffee pot, SAT radio, central air, on and on. I guess it's why I only have one plane also, one is enough, I've come to my senses.

John Griffin

I keep thinking about buying another smaller rig myself. I have two tms300 35ton grove cranes. They are pretty slow to drive around. So often we just need some lifting capacity but don't need anywhere near what these cranes have. I looked at a 12" dbh poplar tree laid over on a shed this week. Its a 45 minute car ride one way. Its over a small mountain that 10mph is the best I can do with the tms300. I'm able to get 40' working radius from it. I keep thinking about buying something like a 22101s for this kind of job but it seems like more overhead and maintenance.

Natman

I drive 65 MPH in the Mack pretty easily, with cruise control and AC, and Sirius sat radio. And two cup holders. So a comparatively plush, fast ride. Every time I see a 60, 80 or 120 ton Grove/Linkbelt, or similar, laboring along at 50 MPH or so, I rethink my desire for a larger crane. Until the next time I run out of chart or get a call for a job I can't come close to doing and have to pass on! At the other extreme, I see the 22101S is now being offered on a single rear axle chassis,, and with an auto tranny and a snub cab, it'd be real handy for around town. My old 101 was great for off roading, high ground clearance, better then my National in that respect. I think they are really pushing it on a single axle though, and bet it handles poorly, on the verge of being dangerous. I know my 17 ton Terex's (I had two) with a single rear, were pigs, if I saw a curve labeled 45 mph, I'd slow to 40, and still have to really pay attention. With the dual axle 101 or my current ride, I can hit the 45 mph curve at 45-50 and not really feel like I'm pushing it. I know a lot of boom trucks are wrecked, while driving, not oiperating.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
There are a lot of positives for a niche market machine, a few negatives but if others are already covering those bases they may not see a need to introduce efforts into your market share.

Reactions: DB2

Natman

I just did another 4 hour job in the area in question, plus billed them 4 hrs of travel. That makes 4 jobs this year across the desert, not like I'm out there once or twice a month even. One good thing, for some reason a small gas station has diesel always cheaper then anyone in my area, 50 cents a gallon cheaper then my home town! So I always time it to be on empty when I go out there, always a little tricky as there is a 65 mile stretch with no services.