• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

I'm Old and retired!

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Hey bubba! Just remember I don't work Cheap!! At least a case of Stag a week!! Oh and I need to get a welder that will feed less than .035 wire at a lower heat, man that was rough welding this tubing!

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
When anybody west of VT uses the term Sugar Maple, I get nervous.

I did a counter top once for my sister. It was to be ceramic tile, with a Sugar Maple molded edging. I asked if she'd prefer tap holes exposed, or hidden.

I think she misunderstood. She didn't want holes.

Later, she discovered the tap holes were underneath, and was upset they didn't show.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
This was a slab from down in the big city, never was 'Tapped'. Company I bought a used GMC from is PAID by the cities to remove unwanted Old Growth trees from right of ways, they have to toil at removing some 50-150 year old Ash, Maple, Gum, Walnut, Hickory and a few others of significant value. They then slab the trunks for sales or sell veneer grade lumber off. Owner told me sold ONE walnut log for $2200. Boys have quite the racket going! Will have to pin the feathering but should look sweet live edge finished.

IMG_3613.JPG

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
Spalted, it'll be soft. Use a good sealer, and hard top coat
My son found a 6' diameter, 8 foot long cherry burl in the national forest. The tree was already cut. We got a permit to take it. We had quite an expedition to get it. Several men, a trailer, my 56 Power Wagon for winches, and dump body. In the process of moving it, I concluded it was too rotted to be of value. We abandoned the project.
A local furniture maker selling ultra high end furniture had a garage with roll back retrieve it, and built dozens of pieces of furniture, selling for many thousands. He used a penetrating, hardening clear product to firm it up.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Oh I know the soft nature of the slab!! Been working wood since 12, love the Character of the slab the wife actually picked it out. Good solid support frame, not going to be carrying a lot of surface load, will be gluing and pinning the feathered edges then trimming back the ends(8' in length now) then a full set of coatings in either resin or Polyurethane, anything that will soak in and draw out the faults and lines of the slab. Not structural just decorative.

td25c

Nice work DMiller !

I never got the hang of wood working . I would cut it off to short every time & then ponder about how to weld it back together .:( :D

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
Oh I know the soft nature of the slab!! Been working wood since 12, love the Character of the slab the wife actually picked it out. Good solid support frame, not going to be carrying a lot of surface load, will be gluing and pinning the feathered edges then trimming back the ends(8' in length now) then a full set of coatings in either resin or Polyurethane, anything that will soak in and draw out the faults and lines of the slab. Not structural just decorative.

I've been fascinated with wood, mostly the way it was worked 200 years ago since late teens. I dreamed of building my own post & beam house. Never found the time. I did build my own house in a style common in 1780. It includes some hand hewn timbers, but the time investment was overwhelming in my youth. Joinery, (fastening wood without metal fasteners) is a particular interest to me. In my 20's I built some kitchen cabinets with no glue, nails, or other metal fasteners. In the day I wasn't equipped for blacksmith work, so my cabinet hinges were pintle hinges of wood, as a settler here in VT might have done if no blacksmith made hinges were available, or affordable.

When Seth grew to toddler age, I couldn't go to the cellar without him. Either he, or I were certain to lose a hand. Little woodworking has happened since.

Hobbytime

my house and barn are 1850s post and beam, when I first bought the place it needed some work, but not a nail was used for framing in the original build, its amazing how strong the old post and beam buildings were and how well the real craftsmen could put stuff together...

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
My own Great Aunt and Uncle's farm barn was mortise and tenon pinned structure built by either Amish or Mennonite in the early 1900's, as I was young it had a defined lean to most of it as the support stones settled into the dirt of Illinois but was always solid. They passed long ago, the barn stood for a long time before our cousin's husband decided was too far gone to save so tried to push it down and it refused to die. Took him a steady week of chain sawing timbers, driving pins, finally torching the structure to knock it to the ground. I asked him of regret as to not selling the old barn to others that would have salvaged it, he still felt was too far gone to save, very narrow minded.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Property I rented from the company for several years had a house that was nothing special but did have an old barn with the hand hewed beams with pegs holding it together.

Was sad to see a few years after I had built my house just down the road someone in management decided it would save them a few dollars in property taxes if there were no structures on the land. So they had the local fire department torch it! Barn was straight and true and about the only thing it really needed was new shingles, the old ceder shakes were very worn and while living there we had patched the worst spots with roll roofing.

It's a shame to see old structures wasted like that!

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Thanks for the photos. It's nice that you got back to retirement work for your pleasure.