• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

IHI 7J will not start

sleekdog2000

I have an IHI 7j that is stuck in the woods. It would not start last week (would crank and produce smoke). Was close to my truck and was able to jump start it. Started normally the next two days. Then it started and shut off 30 seconds later. Cranked it about 30 seconds and it finally started. Started normally the rest of the day. The next day it will crank but not start. A mechanic replaced the fuel pump but still does not start. He then put starter fluid in the air intake (while I was cranking it) and nothing happened. I did that last year and it took off like crazy. Any ideas?

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
Try bleeding the air out..
Loosen the INLET LINE on the inj pump & crank the engine..
Let it pulse to see if air burps out.. then tighten the line up..
Next, loosen the lines AT THE INJECTORS a couple of turns..
Do as many as I can reach, all at once..
PUT THE THROTTLE WIDE OPEN.!!!
Once u get fuel pulsing out of those lines tighten them up..
IDK if that engine has any heater functions.. if so, use it..
Try to start it..

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
Most definitely..
Take them ALL OUT..
Using a battery, battery charger or jump box, apply 12v + to the top of the gp and - to the body..& start counting 1 1000, 2 1000, 3 1000…etc.. until they reach CHERRY RED & take off the power..
DO NOT TOUCH THE GP UNTIL THEY R COOLED.!!
Now u know which ones work AND how long it takes for them to heat the cylinder..