• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

IH2T55 scraper

malcolm

This one is in NewZealand in originol condition after 50years is there any more around

Attachments

• 2t55.jpg
    2t55.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 2,434

WabcoMan

Occupation
Heavy equipment parts manager
Is that an ex NZ Roadmakers machine or is it the one that used to live up Dargaville way ?
Its a fairly late one - the draft arms are attached lower down the bowl than the earlier Heiliners.

brian falcone

a freind from down under sent me these pics of this giant international harvester scraper....i have a few more pics too.looks to be based off the old payhaulers

RDG

Occupation
Multi skilled plant operator for 40+yrs
IH 2T55 Scraper

The other scraper is an International 495 Payscraper powered by IH DTI 817 engine.

surfer-joe

Rare, Don't think I've ever seen one here in the states in this setup. Seen the tractors, but not set up as scrapers.

malcolm

495 payscraper

yes it is based on a payhauler 4 were bought into new zealand for the Benmore hydro dam in the 60s by the ministry of works (government) now on display at benmore cheers malcolm

WabcoMan

Occupation
Heavy equipment parts manager
495 PayScraper

Malcolm,

There were considerably more than 4 of these beasts brought into NZ by the Ministry of Works for use on the Benmore Hydro scheme.
The actual number is close to 15.
(MOW auction disposal records of 1973 show 11 up for sale alone):pointhead

Paydozer

Occupation
Diesel Mechanic
Ministry of Works 495 Payscrapers

There were at least 15 495 payscrapers in use at the start on the Benmore Dam - they were still putting in a full days work on the upper Waitaki Power project around Twizel the last time I saw - worked on them in 1971/72 - cannot remember how many were left working then - must be getting old.They were being replaced with 295 payscrapers about this time - 15 again I think - Ministry of Works being Goverment had to spread new equipment around all the dealers - Goughs - Cat had the dozers and larger dumpers and loaders - ISP - smaller Wabco dumpers - 35C and International seemed to get the scrapers.

Mr Euclid

Assuming their wasn't anymore imported into NZ, which is pretty likely, I think a few even made it to the late 70's/early 80's as I recall seeing one in Baker Constructions livery working on the Clyde Dam.

Will see if i can find a picture or two of them at Benmore.

Cheers

Mr Euclid

MOW 495 Scrapers

Yes my records indicate 15no. as well.

Picture attached is the only one I could find and shows a few of them climbing the dam ramp at Benmore. You can tell that they must be old as they all came in the red paint scheme that IH used in the early days.

Cheers

Attachments

• Benmore 07.jpg
    Benmore 07.jpg
    261 KB · Views: 2,637

Paydozer

Occupation
Diesel Mechanic
Long forgotten.

A very nice shot - not much chance of seeing anything like that again in NZ.
There is talk of a Lower Waitaki power project but it has run into problems with all the do gooders so will probably never go ahead. For the time the Ministry of Works fleet of 495 scrapers must have been one of the biggest if not the biggest 495 fleet around. In all the books and magazines I have got the 495 does not come up very often and when it does only in small numbers - maybe someone can prove me wrong.

surfer-joe

There were some large fleets of 495 scrapers in Michigan and Ohio, Illinois and Indiana back in the day when steel mill and other factory and highway construction was going on. Big fleets of 295's as well and there were some nice fleets out in the plains states and Colorado. Don't know much about the west coast tho. There were huge fleets of Euclid and Allis Chalmers scrapers working, Those were the days!

Kiwi43

There were some large fleets of 495 scrapers in Michigan and Ohio, Illinois and Indiana back in the day when steel mill and other factory and highway construction was going on. Big fleets of 295's as well and there were some nice fleets out in the plains states and Colorado. Don't know much about the west coast tho. There were huge fleets of Euclid and Allis Chalmers scrapers working, Those were the days!
15 495's were purchased for Benmore Dam these had full Payhauler cabs, I suspect the only ones built like this 10 were rebuilt for use on the Upper Waitaki Power Project and repowered with new 817-B engines I believe IH only produced 89 495's