1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

IH2T55 scraper

Discussion in 'Scrapers' started by malcolm, Nov 29, 2008.

1. malcolm

malcolm Well-Known Member

This one is in NewZealand in originol condition after 50years is there any more around

Attached Files:

• 2t55.jpg
      2t55.jpg
      File size:
      59 KB
      Views:
  2. stretch

stretch Senior Member

gopher
    Sure wish that thing was looking better...:(

3. WabcoMan

WabcoMan Senior Member

Heavy equipment parts manager
    Is that an ex NZ Roadmakers machine or is it the one that used to live up Dargaville way ?
    Its a fairly late one - the draft arms are attached lower down the bowl than the earlier Heiliners.

4. brian falcone

brian falcone Well-Known Member

5. brian falcone

a freind from down under sent me these pics of this giant international harvester scraper....i have a few more pics too.looks to be based off the old payhaulers

6. brian falcone

7. RDG

RDG Senior Member

Multi skilled plant operator for 40+yrs
    IH 2T55 Scraper

The other scraper is an International 495 Payscraper powered by IH DTI 817 engine.

8. surfer-joe

surfer-joe Senior Member

Rare, Don't think I've ever seen one here in the states in this setup. Seen the tractors, but not set up as scrapers.

9. malcolm

malcolm Well-Known Member

495 payscraper

yes it is based on a payhauler 4 were bought into new zealand for the Benmore hydro dam in the 60s by the ministry of works (government) now on display at benmore cheers malcolm

10. WabcoMan

WabcoMan Senior Member

Heavy equipment parts manager
    495 PayScraper

Malcolm,

There were considerably more than 4 of these beasts brought into NZ by the Ministry of Works for use on the Benmore Hydro scheme.
    The actual number is close to 15.
    (MOW auction disposal records of 1973 show 11 up for sale alone):pointhead

11. Paydozer

Paydozer Member

Diesel Mechanic
    Ministry of Works 495 Payscrapers

There were at least 15 495 payscrapers in use at the start on the Benmore Dam - they were still putting in a full days work on the upper Waitaki Power project around Twizel the last time I saw - worked on them in 1971/72 - cannot remember how many were left working then - must be getting old.They were being replaced with 295 payscrapers about this time - 15 again I think - Ministry of Works being Goverment had to spread new equipment around all the dealers - Goughs - Cat had the dozers and larger dumpers and loaders - ISP - smaller Wabco dumpers - 35C and International seemed to get the scrapers.

12. Mr Euclid

Mr Euclid Member

Assuming their wasn't anymore imported into NZ, which is pretty likely, I think a few even made it to the late 70's/early 80's as I recall seeing one in Baker Constructions livery working on the Clyde Dam.

Will see if i can find a picture or two of them at Benmore.

Cheers

13. Mr Euclid

Mr Euclid Member

MOW 495 Scrapers

Yes my records indicate 15no. as well.

Picture attached is the only one I could find and shows a few of them climbing the dam ramp at Benmore. You can tell that they must be old as they all came in the red paint scheme that IH used in the early days.

Cheers

Attached Files:

14. Paydozer

Paydozer Member

Diesel Mechanic
    Long forgotten.

A very nice shot - not much chance of seeing anything like that again in NZ.
    There is talk of a Lower Waitaki power project but it has run into problems with all the do gooders so will probably never go ahead. For the time the Ministry of Works fleet of 495 scrapers must have been one of the biggest if not the biggest 495 fleet around. In all the books and magazines I have got the 495 does not come up very often and when it does only in small numbers - maybe someone can prove me wrong.

15. surfer-joe

surfer-joe Senior Member

There were some large fleets of 495 scrapers in Michigan and Ohio, Illinois and Indiana back in the day when steel mill and other factory and highway construction was going on. Big fleets of 295's as well and there were some nice fleets out in the plains states and Colorado. Don't know much about the west coast tho. There were huge fleets of Euclid and Allis Chalmers scrapers working, Those were the days!

16. Kiwi43

Kiwi43 Member

15 495's were purchased for Benmore Dam these had full Payhauler cabs, I suspect the only ones built like this 10 were rebuilt for use on the Upper Waitaki Power Project and repowered with new 817-B engines I believe IH only produced 89 495's

17. RZucker

RZucker Senior Member

Mechanic/welder
    Those WERE the days! I remember Dad running TS 24 tandems out here in the early 70s on I-90.