• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

IH 500E

Troy4500Industrial

Hey Guys/Gals,

Looking to add to my equipment fleet for building the house and doing work around the property. Love my 580B, perfect for what I do, but now looking at adding a IH 500E with the 6 way blade ... I know its only 40HP, but the price is right and I'm only looking to remove stumps say 8" in diameter and grade down a hill .. maybe get a little ambitious and SLOWLY develop a pond on the property with it haha ... any pros/cons would be awesome to hear, other than "its only 40HP and junk"

Thanks!

Delmer

None. It's just that you have one machine that seems like it will do most of what you want to do quite well. Another machine might be opening another can of worms. Double the hours on the one you have will be a lot fewer break downs than two machines.

Troy4500Industrial

None. It's just that you have one machine that seems like it will do most of what you want to do quite well. Another machine might be opening another can of worms. Double the hours on the one you have will be a lot fewer break downs than two machines.
Good call Delmer! You know how it goes, got that heavy equipment itch ... and my knuckles and wallet must not be bleeding enough to fix it

dirthog

Occupation
heavy equipment mechanic
Worst thing is going to be parts we are actually a Dressta dealer and even the newer generation of machines the TD series and up are hard to get parts for!

Kurly

Occupation
Retired
I'm retired and have a Case 580 C and a IH 500 C. I use the Case to bury horses, put in water lines, loader work, drain tile, help neighbors, have fun as it's like a big brother when trying to lift heavy stuff! The 500 C has good undercarriage but needed steering clutches and upgrades, but was bought real cheap and was a fun winter project. Found all the parts I needed so far. Both are under cover and used occasionally. I only have 8 acres and wish I had more work for the dozer. When I have 4-5 hours in the seat It's great but that's enough on this old body, No cab or seat suspension & oily dirty face. My buddy in the business can work circles around me in his new computer outfit. Still lots of fun for occasional jobs. I always need to wash the dirt down with a few barley pops after running the 500 C.

dirthog

Occupation
heavy equipment mechanic
I'm retired and have a Case 580 C and a IH 500 C. I use the Case to bury horses, put in water lines, loader work, drain tile, help neighbors, have fun as it's like a big brother when trying to lift heavy stuff! The 500 C has good undercarriage but needed steering clutches and upgrades, but was bought real cheap and was a fun winter project. Found all the parts I needed so far. Both are under cover and used occasionally. I only have 8 acres and wish I had more work for the dozer. When I have 4-5 hours in the seat It's great but that's enough on this old body, No cab or seat suspension & oily dirty face. My buddy in the business can work circles around me in his new computer outfit. Still lots of fun for occasional jobs. I always need to wash the dirt down with a few barley pops after running the 500 C.
good for you just wanted to let you know the problems we have even being a dealer for Dressta.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
I got into the Obsolete machine phase due to 'Cheap', is not really so cheap when in a condition cannot use and the parts have to be made, scrounged from wrecking yards, or rebuilt to a usable and not really great point of use. For a hobby it is fine, I do not however intend to add more of them to the herd as the few I have are projects never ended.