• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

IH 2400 backhoe/loader

tractorpoor

Rust in the tank

on the 2400a There is a drain plug on the gas tank. Bottom Left hand side if you are looking at it from the rear. You might be able to flush the rust out through it. Otherwise, the tank isn't impossible to remove. A bunch of nuts and bolts that connect it to the fenders (and fuel lines on bottom). I did mine because it was rusted and slightly leaking. I was going to replace it, but ended up using a product called POR-15. Put it back on and it has been fine so far.

SnkyJake

Brake issues

My brakes are failing on my 2400. I read it here (or in another thread) that if I saw brass filings in the hydraulic filter, it was brake wear. So I replaced the hydraulic fluid and filter this spring, and yes there was a small amount of filings in the filter. As the summer has progressed, my brakes are pretty much completely gone now (probably a total of 30 hours put on the tractor since the hydraulic oil change).

Anyhow, I am not mechanically inclined - changing the hydraulic fluid was a big accomplishment for me (LOL), so my question is this: Is there a way to adjust the brakes/brake pedals? I looked at the linkage and it looks like they lead into the side of the engine block. If there is no adjustment, I'm afraid of the cost to have someone else fix them would be beyond the value of the tractor. Thanks for any and all help!

FarmboySC

new owner

I just signed up and trying to become a full member. I just purchased an international 2400 series backhoe and the hydraulics is not working very well. So I will soon be asking for some help from all the knowledgeable folks on here. I was referred to this site by a good friend of mine. Thanks every one.

danielm

I just signed up and trying to become a full member. I just purchased an international 2400 series backhoe and the hydraulics is not working very well. So I will soon be asking for some help from all the knowledgeable folks on here. I was referred to this site by a good friend of mine. Thanks every one.

Farmboy, Check the filters, there's two of them. Look at page 2 of this thread.

Welcome to the IH2400 owners club!

Mine hasn't seen much use lately. I'm searching for a 14.9x28 tire at the moment as the left side has dry rotted badly. Looks like I'll be out about $375per tire if I can't find a good used one.

Then I may put her up for sale. Just don't use it much anymore.

FarmboySC

Thanks danielm. I changed both filters again and the boom will swivel but just doesn't have a lot of power when it comes to trying to move dirt with it. The power steering was hard to turn but now it turns like a new machine. If you or any one else has any suggestions about how to get the boom to work properly I would appreciate it a lot. Thanks for the filter tip. It did me back my power steering and the boom does swing now and that is more than it did before. Thanks again.

danielm

You might check the filters again. It may take a while to clean the system up.
Also, look at post by Oldone on pages 3,4 regarding the main and funtion bypass relief valves.
Otherwise, you may have a weak pump.

DirtIsMyName

Hi, I the remains of a 2412 backhoe and have hoped to make it work again. It is really rough, I've never seen it run. I think my best bet is to get a running tractor and mount my loader and backhoe onto it. Would a 574 be a good choice for the transplant?

Mikefromcny

Occupation
Mechanic
Isnt the 574 a farm tractor?

Usually farm tractors didnt have that kind of load in mind when engineered. Stronger front axle, spindles, wider tires, lower center of gravity to name a few.

Whats wrong with yours?

OneWelder

I am guessing - but the 544 probably has a bigger motor , but of the same series also the frame on 544 would be just a long side of the motor - but the 2112 would have full frame to the rear end , it would also surround the motor with the loader mounted permanently to the frame - the front axle would be a heavy cast I beam instead of a tube
As I said I am not sure of this

Last edited:

DirtIsMyName

My 2412 has a lot of potential as a money pit. The motor was locked when I got it but I got the motor apart. When I got to the point that I could turn it over with the starter I tried to get the injection pump to pump fuel and it wouldn't cooperate. I couldn't get the shift levers to move so I don't really trust the transmission too much. I would have to buy a rebuild kit for the engine and rebuild the injection pump to get it to run so I could see if the transmission is any good. If I got the transmission to work then I could see if the brakes worked, etc.

I think the 574 uses the same hydraulic pump and I will make sure it has the mount for it before I buy. I could also swap wheels and front axle if it didn't require an R&D team. The backhoe and loader mount with their own frame that mounts to the rear axle. I guess I need to look at the front mount again, thanks. I will check the rear axle to make the the mount point is a match.

I have my eye on a diesel 574 but I talked to the owner who says the oil pressure gauge doesn't work and it has no parking brakes, now I'm scared. But he says it runs good and he has done a lot of work with it for the last three years. It has a 4 cylinder D239 engine, easily a 50hp tractor. I don't need another potential moneypit. If I can look at it and rule out the worst of the expensive problems and match the mount points for the loader/backhoe, I would buy it. Any inspection tips that would help me?

DirtIsMyName

Thanks for the replies. I took another look at the 2412 and it has massive framing as was mentioned. Pictures of an eBay 574 look like the 2412 framing may bolt-on the 574. I am trying to piece this together in my head and will go look at the 574 this weekend.

The 2412 front axle is also massive and flat where the 574 axle is a drop axle. I will take lots of pictures and measurements with me to compare to the 574 so I can make my best guess about swapping components.

I will take an oil pressure gauge to test the 574. I don't know what I can to to determine whether the 574 transmission is full of emergency brake lining residue.

I found references to the problem of brake lining residue in the transmission and mention that it is a mess to get it out but I didn't find a description of how to actually get the mess out of the transmission. Anyone done that job?

OneWelder

I think you will find it has dry brakes - - two disks that look like small clutch disks on each side
follow the linkage from pedal to a blister or bubble held on by 3 or 4 bolts - it should be on each side just in front of axle tube

OneWelder

to check for junk in trans pull filter off the right side of trans there is a paper element inside - cut it apart and look in the pleats.
the guy should thank you for servicing trans.

OneWelder

I have given this some more thought - My advice would be to park machines side by side and compare . You also need to take length and width measurements to see if you can make loader frame work, I think you may find that is shorter, and dash may end up being lower,

Do I think this is possibly to do -yes - I also think it going to be a lot of work and a lot of modifications

DirtIsMyName

Hi again, I got delayed by Thanksgiving and weather and such but I went to look at the 574 and it looked like it had a lot of potential as a money pit also. The 239 diesel seems like a really worthwhile asset but the injection pump leaks. The frame and front end had been welded in a major way. The electrics were hacked beyond reason. I wasn't encouraged to look too deep but the seller commented that I had taken a more in-depth look at it than anyone else had.

I didn't take measurements beyond eyeballing but I think the hydraulic pump would swap to the axle and the 2050A loader would be pretty easy. ROPS might need a fender swap. 3122 Backhoe clearance on the PTO and 3pt needs a much closer look.

My backhoe valves and hoses have taken a beating with time, I'm not sure if it would be smart to invest further in my backhoe.

A 574 with my 2050 loader might be the future of my efforts, still looking.

birdcoop7750

Hi Guys, I have a 2400A loader backhoe W/157 gas eng.wich I complety rebuilt. Had O/S pistons made up in Calif.
Now I need a parts diagram of the hoe so I can repair the crown cylinder.Tried some dealers on the net but can't access. My cylinder is 3 1/2" dia. Without part numbers can't order kit.
I also had alot of water in hydraulics changed several times finely put in 3 bottles dry gas that helped alot.
Thanks for any help.

danielm

Hi Guys, I have a 2400A loader backhoe W/157 gas eng.wich I complety rebuilt. Had O/S pistons made up in Calif.
Now I need a parts diagram of the hoe so I can repair the crown cylinder.Tried some dealers on the net but can't access. My cylinder is 3 1/2" dia. Without part numbers can't order kit.
I also had alot of water in hydraulics changed several times finely put in 3 bottles dry gas that helped alot.
Thanks for any help.

Let me check locally. There's a very good hydraulic shop near my ranch that has always come thru for me. I believe my same cylinder is seeping and had planned to take it over there when I have the time.

I wonder where the water enters these machines??? I've found water twice now.

jutravis

I just bought a 2405b with a d179 engine in it as a project and found this site. I need some help with a wiring diagram due to mine being all taken apart. There is also missing between the elbow coming out of the fuel tank and the tube feeding to the front of the tractor. Lastly is it a posive ground or negitive? I am looking for the correct alternator and maybe the injector tubes from the pump to the injectors. Thanks in advance for any help!!!

DirtIsMyName

Last edited: