• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

IH 2400 backhoe/loader

tractorpoor

Phil, Thanks for the reply, I will try to get a picture of it. Your right, I believe it is cast iron. Also to note, The motor is still in the chassis. I have removed the implements and the head. The engine is a gasoline c-157. When I pulled the head, cylinder #1 was full of water!! Been soaking the cylinders with spray lube. Thanks again. --Marc

tractorpoor

The 2400a Oil Pan

Well, for some reason, I can't find a way to post a picture here. But I can email them to you if you like. I have started Jabbing at the seam between the gasket and the pan with a paint scraper. --Marc

IH 3500A

If all the bolts are out, the trick is to apply pressure over a area rather than pressure in a small spot. Get things started by hammering in a putty knife, insert a thin screw driver, move the putty knife to a new area. ( Work along the long end of the pan. ) Don't rush things, let the gasket tear on it's own. Take a careful look for silicone sealer, this can be very difficult to break between large area smooth surfaces.

Warming the pan rail with a torch can help.

Phil

Occupation
retired operator and mechanic
3500, you have put that into words much better than I could have. I have never heard of heating a gasket area to help loosen, very innovative. Phil

IH 3500A

Thanks. The key to all of this is to let the material tear by its self. Take a piece of rubber, put a cut in it, then pull lightly and note the speed it tears at. Do the same but pull twice as hard, sure it will tear a bit faster but not 2x faster.

This also applies to a stuck oil filter, put enough pressure to the filter to make it move but don't push harder because it won't help much.

tractorpoor

2400a Oil Pan

I will consider heating up around the oil pan gasket seam, but I am a little apprehensive about all of the old oil and dirt on and around the motor. I'll clean it up and give it a try. I also bought some heavier scrapers that I plan to use to dig into the seam.. I will update you all soon. Thanks again for the good advice. --Marc

IH 3500A

Heat bolt area until warm not glowing red. If you are worried about the pan going boom, run the engine until hot.

dreday

Side Pump

The old 2400 has been chugging along although I've noticed the hydraulics seem to be getting weak. Not sure if it's a pump or bypassing in a valve somewhere but, I suspect its the pump.

Anyone have a spare right hand side hyd pump for a IH2400?

Hey There!

How do you know if your pump has gone bad or if its just like the drive gear, or something else with it? After hooking up a used side pump, there is nothing coming from the 'out' hose. I really want to get the loader finally going! I have lots of pictures of the 2400B's parts and areas where I'm working if that would help. Also, thanks much, I have already learned a lot reading through this thread.

-Andreas

dreday

side pump

So no one has to follow any links :

Attachments

• DSCN0681SMALLforum.jpg
    DSCN0681SMALLforum.jpg
    233 KB · Views: 1,008
  • DSCN0683SMALLforum.jpg
    DSCN0683SMALLforum.jpg
    289.5 KB · Views: 1,016
  • DSC_0191 smallforum.jpg
    DSC_0191 smallforum.jpg
    352.5 KB · Views: 1,006

dreday

Side Pump

Taken off showing pump gear teeth detail and where it was taken off from on the tractor :

Attachments

• DSCN0705forum.jpg
    DSCN0705forum.jpg
    348.2 KB · Views: 1,002
  • DSCN0702forum.jpg
    DSCN0702forum.jpg
    389.1 KB · Views: 997

tractorpoor

Oil pan update.

Just to update you guys on my old oil pan problemo. I had let the stuck engine sit with PB blaster for some time and had just decided to be patient on the pan. Anyway, I finally got that pan off. I was a little nervous about heating things up. If you had seen all of the oil buildup on the motor, you would understand. Anyway, Someone had suggested paint scraper type tools. I did that along with liberal spraying of pb blaster and liberal pounding with hammer onto the scraper. It finally gave, then just knocked it down. Thanks again for everything.

For the engine: Even though I soaked the crap out of it, I still had to pound out the #1 piston. The engine is loose now.

danielm

Wow!
It's been a while since I've checked this thread. Looks like alot of work getting done on these old IH since I've been gone.
I've been in and out of the hospital with health issues so, my IH2400 hasn't seen any action for months. I hope to get back to it soon. Surgery scheduled in two weeks to remove a big chunk of my colon. No fun...

oldone

Service manuals 2400a

I have service manuals for my 2400a if anyone needs info I can scan pages of it and post them for all.

It seems there are very few manuals floating around for these old tractors.

I just can't seem to find the right filter for the right side pump cannister..:usa

tractorpoor

Hydraulic oil filters

Oldone,

Believe it or not, I went to my local Case-IH dealer. They looked up my 2400a and had a hydraulic oil filter in stock for it. Amazing! I didn't know the part number or anything.

Another good one: I went into Oriely Auto (AKA Checker Auto parts) with a part number off of my oil filter. They matched it up with a WIX filter that worked like a champ. In Stock! I couldn't believe it.

danielm

Dang... many months of no use and I find the water pump is leaking pretty bad now.

Also, someone swipped all my fuel and left the cap off. Water/rust in the tank. Bastards!