• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

IH 175C travails.

MarcusZ1967

Occupation
Do-All
This is the double piston setup on the tilt cylinder.

20180423_130135.jpg taking apart.

20180423_130515.jpg center sliding out.

20180423_141419.jpg 1 1/2 hrs later.

20180423_142106.jpg crane is cheating smartly....

boone

Interesting pics of the double piston cylinder. I remember reading in the manual or looking for seals that there were two cylinder options. Now HEF has pictures of both for the 175!

Ouch, looks like someone was trying to push a tree with the cooler. Did it come with a grill?

MarcusZ1967

Occupation
Do-All
Yup... and a small patch at that area of the 1/4 IN grill..... I'll get a picture tomorrow. We have an oil cooler off an old CNC right angel shear we might adapt for this.... smaller, but not gonna be running the machine 10/5 ....

Marcus

MarcusZ1967

Occupation
Do-All
Ok, I got the trans cooler fixed. Started running it. 1/2 hr later started to overheat 218-220 range. Let it cool, added fluid.
Kept on overheating. Picked up some Irontite(?), ran it thru engine / rad.

45min after refilling back w/ fliud. Yup, oh again.

Time to pull the rad!

This is what I see.....20180730_114345.jpg

Small amount of material left (was sitting on core area). Was MUCH MORE!

20180730_114446.jpg

Time to core it now..

MarcusZ1967

Occupation
Do-All
Hah! Finally found it! The Z-Bar linkage came out in 1955 in a patented design on the H* payloaders. Always questioned when the z-bar came out, since I seen cats following it's geometry on the 9?3 series loaders.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Typical of our old machines and filling with straight water in 'Poor' times instead of maintaining coolant, also make certain the core is not loaded with oily dirt EXTERNALLY shoved in from the engine fan blowing leakage and dust into it. That got mine loaded up pretty thick on my AC.

MarcusZ1967

Occupation
Do-All
Typical of our old machines and filling with straight water in 'Poor' times instead of maintaining coolant, also make certain the core is not loaded with oily dirt EXTERNALLY shoved in from the engine fan blowing leakage and dust into it. That got mine loaded up pretty thick on my AC.

We borrowed a hot/steam pressure washer. Yep. The bottom of the rad was packed, just the hardest placement to wash out without removing it from the machine.

That plate over 1/2 the cores is because of a small (low gpm) sump pump. Rodding out the rust first then gonna run a soap solution with some Irontite flush.

MarcusZ1967

Occupation
Do-All
Mind the fins on the core, don't want to fold them over much if any.
Yep, watched for that. Steamed it, then ran it some more. Still OH! So I pulled out the rad and steamed from both sides. Meh what the heck, I'll pull of this top tank and check it out ........ OMG! Piles of rust flakes! The pict above is a SMALL remainder of those. The first time i hooked the sump pump n turned on, less than 30% cores flowed. So I started with 1/16 stanless..... bent and bent again. Time for some piano wire.... now only 3-4 cores are blocked totally. I'm making a new top tank (picts coming). I'll prolly back flush the motor before reinstall.

MarcusZ1967

Occupation
Do-All
Thanks DMiller!
Sheetmetal we got down pat lol! Outside plant for machining. The table that it's setting on is an Amada 667II CO2 laser. I can cut up to 60" x 120", 3/8" mild steel tops.

So, the boss and I ran up to Zimmerman Tractor today.

20180810_154849.jpg

Amazing parts yard they have! Unfortunately, all we could find was a diesel/hydraulic tank and the rear frame. Was looking for track chain but their parts guy was out. Wonderful time anyway! We wandered around for hours.
Sweet 'lil TD-7E out front but too much $$.

Last edited:

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Yours have the 7.5 pitch rails? or the early 7 pitch. Could be either where Dresser still used the 7.5 for a time on other machines and are still available aftermarket, most Undercarriage parts for these were available from aftermarket sales due to Dresser becoming Dressta.

MarcusZ1967

Occupation
Do-All
They are the 7.5 pitch and 37 link. I found some on ebay but......... lol

After looking at some of the pull off tracks, ours doesn't look so bad...

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
On dry pin rails the wear limit is around 1/8" or .120-.125 some less. If not been turned can extend the life of the rails but will cost you around 1/2-2/3 what replacement rails will. Pick any pin on the rails, as the chain lays out measure from either lead or tail face edge of that pin to the same face of the fifth pin away, divide by four is the way to determine wear. Shoe grousers will be OK if greater than 5/8" tall as OE was close to 1 1/4". Excessive pin to bushing wear will allow the rails to snake where when bad that shows out as they crawl over the idler in a turn allowing the rail to walk off. Excessive roller wear will allow the roller flanges to ride on the link pin bosses, that will eventually hammer long enough and the roller flange will chunk or the bosses will erode.