• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

IH 175C Track question.

Mud Dauber

Please tell me every thing I need to know about making "street pad" more aggressive, ie steel size, welding rod to use, new bar location on pad.

Machine will be used for pushing and piling trees, soil pushing and piling, will be my FARMERIZED version of a D8K.

TIA.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
First and foremost Do NOT get too aggressive with Grousers on a Loader. A 175C is a Loader tractor NOT a Dozer even as you want it to be where should have low pressure three or if swapped later two bar grouser shoes. Keep them UNDER 1"-1 1/2" overall height and match them at least on the outer grousers of the shoes. Dozer Grousers of 2-4" are just what they state for DOZERS. Straight Line Pushing and NOT carrying a loaded scoop in a turn to place the material either in a spoil pile or truck.

Go the extreme route and be ready to repair/replace lower rollers, front idlers and repair side thrust damage on the truck frames. Been there done that and KNOW NOT to do that again.

Have used and seen used 1" rebar. 3/4" rebar, have actually welded correct weld on grouser stock to existing shoes, use 7018 and if can either preheat each shoe prior to weld with a torch to get them to release entrained moisture in the shoe metal. Ground and weld to EACH shoe even if on the machine ESPECIALLY when on the machine otherwise can cause other issues pin/bushing bearings in the rails/suspension, etc. Most grouser supply companies will specify type of weld or rod or wire and preheat if any to be applied. Most steel supply shops/weld shops have access to catalogs and providers of actual grouser stock.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Suggestion, start a New Post on the Track Loader page, quite a few old hands there with IH/Dresser units and a WEALTH of help.

Welder Dave

Pushing tree's I bet a 175C could push over a tree as big as a D8 could when you lift up the boom for more leverage. If you just got the machine, try it out. You may not have to do anything to the grousers. It's a heavy machine. Be careful if the ground is soft, loaders will sink.

Bls repair

Occupation
Equipment operator,mechanic
Keep a eye on the trees you knock down for dead or broken branches . Many operators have been hurt or killed by falling branches.