• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

IFTA

hvy 1ton

How do you go about getting fuel permits from each state?
You can buy them in at the port of entry scale houses. Honestly, I would take the scenic route and/or hang a paper in transit sign and not worry about it. It took us 30-45 minutes for each state's custom harvester fuel permit and you're looking 10-11 permits if you get every one. The paperwork for IFTA is not worth it for one trip.

T320FL

Considering the distance and number of states, have you thought about hiring an 18 wheeler with flatbed to haul it for you?

Mike L

Occupation
Self employed field mechanic
We considered that option but I’ve also got to pay a guy to haul all our household stuff and the overflow of business stuff. One truck was expensive enough, two would be way worse.

cfherrman

Last year a Nebraska farmer told me the time he went to Illinois (I think) and got pulled over for a "loose" chain binder. His farm use only truck didn't hold in that state and the fines were deep. Make sure you talk to someone who really knows before leaving.

mowingman

Occupation
Retired
Have you got a quote to have the truck hauled? I am going to guess $3,000. Wonder how close that is?

T320FL

Having your work truck moved on a semi could be written off as a business expense.

Mike L

Occupation
Have you got a quote to have the truck hauled? I am going to guess $3,000. Wonder how close that is?
When I lost the transmission in Harrisburg PA it cost me $2500 to get it trucked home. That was 1200 miles round trip and we had to put it on a low bed. Now we’re going 2000 miles one way and I’m guessing it’s hard to find a back haul with a low bed.

Mike L

Occupation
Got rained out so I’m home this afternoon trying to get answers to this question. So far the number one answer has been- I don’t know, try calling……. And then I call the next one and do it all over again.

Mike L

Occupation
That’s what I’m thinking. I’ve made it 41 years taking chances and i think I’m going to try it again.

Mike L

Occupation
Unfortunately I sold the boat. Wouldn’t that create the need for additional registration to haul a trailer?

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Will be witnessing this first hand once the Big Blue Beast is road ready and licensed. Already speaking to Graphics providers here for Lettering and numbers for the monster, Key Word Tricky Phrase on the side will be PRIVATE CONVEYANCE, NOT FOR HIRE. I suspect and expect a LOT of question sessions where have written down WHOM I have Spoken With, what they Informed me as to rules, keeping that in the license/insurance file holder in the door.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Unfortunately I sold the boat. Wouldn’t that create the need for additional registration to haul a trailer?

It's probably been discussed but do you own the truck personally as in your personal name or is it owned by your business?

Mike L

Occupation
It’s in my personal name. My business is a dba.

Truck Shop

Will be witnessing this first hand once the Big Blue Beast is road ready and licensed. Already speaking to Graphics providers here for Lettering and numbers for the monster, Key Word Tricky Phrase on the side will be PRIVATE CONVEYANCE, NOT FOR HIRE. I suspect and expect a LOT of question sessions where have written down WHOM I have Spoken With, what they Informed me as to rules, keeping that in the license/insurance file holder in the door.

If your pulling a RV and marked personal conveyance, DOT won't even look at you. I know this guy and his rig
below. He's traveled everywhere to truck shows and just plain traveling. Has never had a problem in any state.
There are lots of class eights pulling RV's these days DOT has better things to do than hassle a retired couple.

001.JPG

Tyler d4c

If your pulling a RV and marked personal conveyance, DOT won't even look at you. I know this guy and his rig
below. He's traveled everywhere to truck shows and just plain traveling. Has never had a problem in any state.
There are lots of class eights pulling RV's these days DOT has better things to do than hassle a retired couple.

View attachment 268834
Would this hold true if with my rv I was taking my for fun d9 to my for fun of course stone quarry;)