• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

If not CAT who then? Are JCB Excavators good?

cjplanthire

Occupation
Plant contractor
yip a daewoo solar 290lcv year 1999 , it sat in a quarry for 11 years loading loose rock into a tesab crusher, not great at fine grading but better than a cat to fill the bucket, sold it for export to africa last year, it was going good but id say was close to retirment!

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
I'll give my $.02.

I have owned 2 - 315CL's, a 321CLCR and a 325DL. I put 4k hours on the first 315 and 1K hours on the second, I never turned a bolt other than wear and service items. The 315's are great machines in my experience.

The 321 had 3500 hrs when I sold it. No problems with that machine other than breaking the dog bones on the progressive link hydraulic thumb. The dealer came out a few times to reset the pressures on the thumb and after breaking two sets of Cat factory dog bones, the Dealer fab'd some beefier ones up in their shop and we never had another problem.

The 325 I put 3K hours on when I traded it in. It was a very good machine, no problems with it and probably my most favorite machine to run out of the hoes I have owned. I demo'd a PC300 and the 325 on the same site before I bought that machine. I liked the 300, although to me, it seemed slightly weaker than the 325 - the kicker was the 300 was $40K more.:beatsme It was an easy decision for me.

That's my experience with Cat trackhoes, worth price charged.:D

DoosanFan

Occupation
Forester
I'll give my $.02.

I have owned 2 - 315CL's, a 321CLCR and a 325DL. I put 4k hours on the first 315 and 1K hours on the second, I never turned a bolt other than wear and service items. The 315's are great machines in my experience.

The 321 had 3500 hrs when I sold it. No problems with that machine other than breaking the dog bones on the progressive link hydraulic thumb. The dealer came out a few times to reset the pressures on the thumb and after breaking two sets of Cat factory dog bones, the Dealer fab'd some beefier ones up in their shop and we never had another problem.

The 325 I put 3K hours on when I traded it in. It was a very good machine, no problems with it and probably my most favorite machine to run out of the hoes I have owned. I demo'd a PC300 and the 325 on the same site before I bought that machine. I liked the 300, although to me, it seemed slightly weaker than the 325 - the kicker was the 300 was $40K more.:beatsme It was an easy decision for me.

That's my experience with Cat trackhoes, worth price charged.:D

Thats still nothing compared to 24 000 hours on a Daewoo, I'm just saying :rolleyes:

D&GExcavating

The only other brand of excavator I would buy is a Deere. Had way too many problems with the komatsu PC-200-6 we used to have, I hate Case excavators (yes I have tried one out), and there isn't another dealer around for anything else

D&GExcavating

Besides you can't beat Cat quality. We have a 320BL with 16,000 hours on it, and the engine and pumps have not been touched. I think the most major thing we've done to it is replace the rails, pads, and rollers

DGODGR

Go for Doosan, around here they don't stop working, also cheapest spares, and if you burst a pipe, they aren't hard to come by because they are British Standard hoses and couplings (hydraulic)... that sort of thing sells machines in Africa that's for sure.

This is a problem, in the US, not a benefit. It is one of the reasons that JCB has had a hard time winning favor in the US (had BST before but I think they don't any more). I'm glad to hear that you like the Doosans. I don't have enough exposure to the brand to have much of an opinion. I will say that the dealership network pails when compared to the big 3 (Cat, Komatsu, Deere). I must say, that with my pre concieved notions about Doosan, I was not too happy when they bought out Bobcat. It seems that the minis, that are sourced from Doosan, have been pretty popular among some on this site.

Stock replied that the Hitachi now has issues with parts availability. If true doesn't that mean Deere would have an issue too? Can you elaborate more on the parts problems you are reffering to (regarding Komatsu & Hitachi)?

DoosanFan

Occupation
Forester
This is a problem, in the US, not a benefit. It is one of the reasons that JCB has had a hard time winning favor in the US (had BST before but I think they don't any more). I'm glad to hear that you like the Doosans. I don't have enough exposure to the brand to have much of an opinion. I will say that the dealership network pails when compared to the big 3 (Cat, Komatsu, Deere). I must say, that with my pre concieved notions about Doosan, I was not too happy when they bought out Bobcat. It seems that the minis, that are sourced from Doosan, have been pretty popular among some on this site.

Well the US has always been different, no offense intended, but ja, the Doosans we get are the Africa/Asia version so they are more climate and maintenance friendly, ie, if you end up with a machine working in remote Ntsikeni miles away from any major centre, a Doosan owner would have no problems if a hose burst, provided there is a tractor spares place close by, which there generally are, somehow...

rezod1

We had three case machines that ran well for years and did well on fuel, the dealer changed and have since switched to komatsu equipment and that has worked out well. Dealer support would be a big factor now and in the future as the computer age is well advanced on us. I would like to hear from any doosan owners about that machine and how it compares to the common brands out there.

plantman.uk

Occupation
excavator operator
JCB....stay away from them, i've been on a few over the years and in my opinion they are bits of junk..JCB=Just Crap Built

Boiled Owl

I'm liking the feedback! Probably wouldn't have considered DOOSAN before. My needs are going to be somewhat different to the pros in the trade as it's incidental to my business of farming. Likely will put less than 200 hrs a year on after 2012. I have an offer pending on a Cat 315CL. Failing that, Hitachi is about 40 miles away and I'm talking to them about a used ZX160.

The JCB's don't seem to be getting much positive feedback. I took it off the list.

Another ? Deere/Hitachi 160's pretty much the same except Deere puts their motor in? According to Hitachi they use less fuel?
An observation: When looking at pictures of online listings Deere 160D with less than say 1500 hours, I noticed the seats were all ripped to shreds? WTF they can't even put a decent seat in them!

guswa

Occupation
mining
My Brother in law has a PC 30 komastsu and has had no problems with it,i think keeping a regular maintance program is important for the longivity of the machine regardless of the brand.

stock

Occupation
We have moved on and now were lost....
I Failing that, Hitachi is about 40 miles away and I'm talking to them about a used ZX160.

The JCB's don't seem to be getting much positive feedback. I took it off the list.

Another ? Deere/Hitachi 160's pretty much the same except Deere puts their motor in? According to Hitachi they use less fuel?
An observation: When looking at pictures of online listings Deere 160D with less than say 1500 hours, I noticed the seats were all ripped to shreds? WTF they can't even put a decent seat in them!

Never saw a Deere hoe except here but I have seen thousands of Hitachi most every one says the same about them great machine, great on diesel, and if minded good for 20k + hours, parts are that expensive for them either.............

DoosanFan

Occupation
Forester
I'm liking the feedback! Probably wouldn't have considered DOOSAN before. My needs are going to be somewhat different to the pros in the trade as it's incidental to my business of farming. Likely will put less than 200 hrs a year on after 2012. I have an offer pending on a Cat 315CL. Failing that, Hitachi is about 40 miles away and I'm talking to them about a used ZX160.

And if you still aren't considering a Doosan, I don't know what more to say... But i will say this, check the price on the Doosans, you will be pleasantly surprised at what you can get. :notworthy

pp13bnos

Good info in this thread. I'm thinking about getting something for personal use. I'm leaning towards Cat, Deere and maybe Case, as they are all within 20 minutes from me. Size is the next consideration. I'm not sure if I should go with a mini, or something that would be a good compliment to my D3C dozer. Maybe in the 25k lb range or so...decisions...decisions... :/

Boiled Owl

And if you still aren't considering a Doosan, I don't know what more to say... But i will say this, check the price on the Doosans, you will be pleasantly surprised at what you can get. :notworthy

Are Daewoo and Doosan the same?

I'm looking in the USA used market. Mainly searching Machinery Trader or Ebay, etc. On Ebay Back in December they sold a Daewoo (2005 year?) Solar 175 w/ around 2200 hours for $42,500 on a best offer listing. Me thinks that was a bargain! But I didn't know anything about them. Right price/wrong time!

I'm looking to buy from an owner rather than a machinery auction or machinery jockey.

DoosanFan

Occupation
Forester
Are Daewoo and Doosan the same?

I'm looking in the USA used market. Mainly searching Machinery Trader or Ebay, etc. On Ebay Back in December they sold a Daewoo (2005 year?) Solar 175 w/ around 2200 hours for $42,500 on a best offer listing. Me thinks that was a bargain! But I didn't know anything about them. Right price/wrong time!

I'm looking to buy from an owner rather than a machinery auction or machinery jockey.

Ohk, Daewoo started out as a joint venture between Hitachi and Daewoo to make excavators for the Korean market. In 2002 Doosan (a Korean engineering company) bought out Daewoo, hence Doosan Daewoo branded machines for a time. Once the acquisition was complete, Doosan was the only name left on the Machines. Doosan has totally upgraded the Daewoo line of equipment, and expanded the manufacturing facilities to handle the great demand.

jason975

Occupation
heavy equipment/ truck mechanic
theyre all the same, they all break, its all in speccing it out, i fix daewoo doosan and i'd recommend their 340 in a heartbeat, their 480's like to leak engine oil (v6 11L) deeres are great, we have 2 450's a 230, and a 550, a pile of cats and a few hitatchis (a new 850 up at detour gold mine).....i personally like the 450 hitatchi, those isuzu engines can go through hell and back

Boiled Owl

LOL they're all junk, just pick one! Best advice I got from a snowmobile salesman.

Still undecided here! Just not finding what I'm looking for. Still several mid 2000 vintage JCB 220 out there priced right in the 4000 to 5000 hr range. Remember I'm looking for this as a sideline to the farm but don't want to be looking for parts and repairs constantly.

Is anyone out there running a JCB220 that can give feedback?