• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

" If it wants Off , Let it off "

Ronsii

Occupation
s/e Heavy equipment operator
If that is an actual container trailer there are no straps or chains. They are secured with pegs that lock into the same holes used for lifting only on the bottom

Correct: that is an actual 'can' chassis, the problem came into play when he didn't flip the dogs to lock it down... then he proceeded to drive like he always drives (balls to the wall) coming out of the warehouse area with a sharp turn onto the main road while the rear tires on the chassis rolled(jumped) over the inclined island and launched the can rolling across the road and slamming into the curb... good thing there wasn't something in that lane ;)

JDOFMEMI

How does that even happen? The front of the truck doesn't look like it hit anything and I can't see how having to lock up the brakes would cause that loader to come foreword so hard and fast it would jump over the gooseneck and wind up on the cab

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

Looks like a case of better brakes than chains.

It did not help that the height and angle of the loader rear end lined up perfectly with the gooseneck and the tires straddled the narrow neck, then bounced up over the trucks drive tires.

I have seen that happen, but without the fatal outcome, with a old 988, 87A on a narrow neck Cozad. It broke 2 chains, pulled 2 hooks through the side pockets, and slid a good ways up the neck when the driver stopped at a stop sign on a downhill grade. The chains were 3/8 transport chain, and that is one of the reasons I use only grade 100 chain.

I also like my wide neck Murray, as it is a lot less likely to let something over the top.

RollOver Pete

Occupation
Operating Engineer/mechanic
This was to be a gravy Saturday morning move.
WA500 with an inoperative parking brake and only 2 :eek: chains holding the thing down.
The driver supposedly blew a l/f steer and went off into the center...
Imperial Ave (Hwy 86) @ Keystone in Brawley/El Centro to be exact.

I didn't personally know the driver but we've waved to each other here and there going down the road.

I just don't understand how an experienced lowbed operator could be so damned lazy?
Two chains on a 60-70K lb machine = suicide in my book.
Maybe that explains why I seem so darned slow.
I would have had 4 1/2" grade 100's and 3-4 3/8" 100's holding the thing down.

I feel bad for his family as this accident was 100% preventable.
Clairmont Equipment Rental will be run through the ringer thanks to this bonehead.

They say that the driver had about 15-20 minutes to think about what he had done before he died.
A bullet to the head would have been much faster

10433570_801805399850597_477122450_o.jpg10420640_801805413183929_1723106763_o.jpg10429548_801805383183932_481967380_o.jpg

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Very sad!

Inoperative parking brake and only two chains? I'm not a lowboy operator but would not even want to move a skid-steer like that, no less a WA500. Even tied down with the 4 1/2 inch and 4 3/8 inch it would still be a little touchy.

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
The outcome is terrible. A family left hurting. I wonder if being it was a Saturday move it was the normal low bed driver or a substitute because no worries, DOT won't be out on Saturday. I find it real scary that any experienced low bed driver would chain that light.

fixou812

Occupation
Millwright Equipment Mechanic Welder
dont let this off

Well I've been having troubles posting pictures lately.
So this is a test pic.
some one from a delivery service came to pick this up
to ship it to the rebuilder.
he was driving an f250 with aluminum bed
One foot aluminum removable sides and tail gate.
no chains or binder s. But bicycle straps... no wood either.
I gave him an old tire.
I wrote my name in the cylinder with you paint marker.
how would you like that coming thru your truck?

Attachments

• 20140428_123055.jpg
    20140428_123055.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 751

fast_st

Occupation
IT systems admin
Wow, that beam really flipped the truck hard when it got to that end. Looks like the dolly got cocked? That had to hurt. Should be titled 'huge beam drops truck'

Scrub Puller

Yair . . . I can't pick if that is a steerable dolly or not.

It looks pretty much to me as though it is just strapped to the beam which is perfectly okay if the beam and dolly are made to be welded/bolted together rather than relying on some pizzy little chains.

On the other hand it could have been remotely steered from that pickup with all the aerials and just chained to a turntable/bolster. Again I wouldn't do it that way . . . I would want some form of positive attachment, it isn't hard to add some transportation lugs during manufacture.

In either case speed was a factor, he was travelling too fast and it was probably just as well he went out of shape and hit that bridge rather than a car load of kids.

Cheers.

qball

Occupation
local 150 operator
Around here, Chicagoland, it is common for all tracked machines to be tied down with a binder from the inside cornet of a track pad to the trailer frame rail. Four 3/8" binders and 16 little track pad bolts are all that holds a machine on a trailer. Makes me sick.

FSERVICE

watch that video again look at the trailer hit the barrier wall!!!! that's what takes out the dolley from under the beam:( just bad driving

Deeretracks

Occupation
Shop Foreman
watch that video again look at the trailer hit the barrier wall!!!! that's what takes out the dolley from under the beam:( just bad driving

Nope, the dolly was dogtracking before impact. The tail of the beam should have never been farther right than the tractor. As scrub pointed out the dolly wasn't attached securely enough to hold it in line.

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals

It appeared to me that the dolly was tracking to the drivers side at the start and then started right and kept going to the barrier. My first thought was that the support vehicle on the left was steering the dolly and never brought it back to center, but I could not see any steering controls or wheel movement either. Looks like the dolly was twisting in the chains the more I look at it.

fast_st

Occupation
IT systems admin
if a beam falls on a highway, does it make a sound and how loud is it.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
I'm thinking that the driver nailed the throttle hard as he was going through and coming out of the corner. The dolly wheels look like duals and if you look there is no room between the dolly frame and tires for them to steer. Also you don't see them steer as they enter the corner. You can seen the dolly stay at the abutment and the beam slide off the front of the dolly onto the road.

I'm thinking the root cause of the accident is the person who set up the transportation plan and the driver who set out with the wrong equipment. I will have to agree that the truck got slammed hard when the beam released the twist into the truck frame. I wouldn't want to have had to ride that cab over when it started to turn turtle.

tcachee

Was surprised it took the weight cause the truck's rated at 1.5 T and i think the Case is bout 2.5 T. Took some steep hills in 1st tho and the truck was extremely top heavy:confused: