1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Idlers on Hi-tracks,

Discussion in 'Dozers' started by Scrub Puller, Feb 29, 2016.

1. Scrub Puller

Scrub Puller Senior Member

Yair . . .

What would be the criteria used to determine the idler diameter on Hi-tracks?

To my eyes they always look "out of scale" and on the small side . . .I have heard certain models "scallop" rails which is what would be expected if a chain was running at those acute angles around a tight radius.

Just wondering, that's all.

Cheers.

2. Dickjr.

Dickjr. Senior Member

When I had my D6H , it was routine to have to change idlers ever so often. The rails seemed to scallop because it had 2 idlers to run around. I would use rebuilt CAT idlers with a 1500 hr warranty which they pro rated. Kind of a joke. I can't recall if the flat track units I been around scallop or not.

3. lantraxco

lantraxco Senior Member

I'm sure the engineers make them as small as reasonably possible, probably so that at 100% or so worn they're the tightest diameter the track in good nick can bend around without the links binding? Smaller saves weight and space, maybe saves a link or two in track chain length? The oval track machines they just pretty well matched the sprockets eh?

4. Willie B

Willie B Senior Member

Electrician
    I know nothing of it. I wonder if in oval track machines there is a constant discrepancy between track chain pitch, and sprocket pitch. These machines might have 9 teeth engaged at a time. A discrepancy of 1/8" pitch difference will multiply by 9. The high drive machines benefit from fewer teeth engaged, the difference is less severe.

5. lantraxco

lantraxco Senior Member

As a rule you only have two or three teeth pulling anyway, the rest are along for the ride due to normal slack in the system. As you say though contact time is probably lessened reducing wear somewhat.