• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

I wonder whatever happened to this rig?

Blocker in MS

As far as styling goes, they seemed to be ahead of the curve. That was a great looking truck really. I am going out on a limb and say something like the oil embargo maybe? The fuel usage got Cat’s loader and IH’s tractor in the end did they not?

Truck Shop

It died because it had no mileage, plus many other various problems. But that monstrosity IIRC is either in the Ford museum or covered with a tarp in the back lot. I remember reading that
the tractor was still around somewhere in the rust belt- Even though it died a natural death not long after it left the drawing board some of the ideas made there way to the CL9000 C.O.E.

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
It died because it had no mileage, plus many other various problems. But that monstrosity IIRC is either in the Ford museum or covered with a tarp in the back lot. I remember reading that
the tractor was still around somewhere in the rust belt- Even though it died a natural death not long after it left the drawing board some of the ideas made there way to the CL9000 C.O.E.

Yeah, like the seasick cab suspension. Drove one for a bit in the early 80's. I preferred being beaten to death by my GMC. At least I knew which way was up.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
I was told of a milk truck running on the Enumclaw plateau in the early seventies that had a experimental turbine. I was told got 2 gallons per mile. I was told it didn't last long as they swapped out the turbine with a diesel. I remember seeing the truck in about 1974, but it had a diesel by that time.

Syleng1

Occupation
Welder- farmer
I love the old videos- thank you for sharing. Even though this truck did not make it forward to today. A lot of items moved forward and did get used in production trucks.
In an earlier post about Cats...The emissions got the Cat diesels. Compliance is the reason for a lot of engines going away in big trucks.

again- thanks for posting.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Just watched the Big Red video and saw this near the end:
ford truck.png

And it made me think of this one that Tesla is supposed to start making:
Tesla Truck.png

Truck Shop

With all the futuristic stuff posted above it's time for a fitting cartoon.

JD955SC

i thought the ideas implemented in Big Red were very interesting and the styling of “futuristic” stuff from the 30s-60s can’t be beat. I love learning about that era

JD955SC

Kenworth played with gas turbines back in that era too I believe.

I believe most manufacturers of cars, trucks, locomotives etc experimented with gas turbines. Unfortunately fuel efficiency just wasn’t there, because personally I’d love one in my truck.

Truck Shop

I believe most manufacturers of cars, trucks, locomotives etc experimented with gas turbines. Unfortunately fuel efficiency just wasn’t there, because personally I’d love one in my truck.
One thing the gas turbine produced was heat and it would defrost the windshield in seconds. But the other thing that was not so good and that was the delayed throttle response. Pretty slow on take off,
at stop light on the early Chrysler turbine cars you basically had to power brake it to get through the green light before it went to amber caution.

JD955SC

One thing the gas turbine produced was heat and it would defrost the windshield in seconds. But the other thing that was not so good and that was the delayed throttle response. Pretty slow on take off,
at stop light on the early Chrysler turbine cars you basically had to power brake it to get through the green light before it went to amber caution.

Early jet engines had same issue. You were in trouble if you needed power all of a sudden, especially on short final. It’s also the same reason that on a carrier landing they go to full power as soon as they touch down...the cable will hold if it catches but if they bolter they can’t wait on the throttle response.