1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

I won a Skid Steer at an auction but have just discovered the meter has been tampered with badly.

Discussion in 'Skid Steers' started by samhaley, Jun 5, 2020.

1. mikebramel

mikebramel Senior Member

The meter reading is for the most part just a number and used by buyers to assume the machine is still in good shape/ life left in it. A machine with 10,000 hours on it could be just as reliable as one with 2,000. The real difference is going to be on the hammer price

jacobd likes this.
  2. skata

skata Senior Member

I'd like to know what kind of skidsteer got 10,000 hours on it and still be in decent enough shape to get some money for it .

3. Flat Thunder Channel

Flat Thunder Channel Senior Member

So now get Richie Brothers auction advertisements everywhere. The internet has this sales / advertising algorithm running like a fine tuned machine. I am afraid the original poster is reluctant to share all the details because he is afraid we people would disagree with him and or not buy the machine should he try to re-sell it. The real question is if he follows through with the purchase will he disclose all this information to the new potential buyer? I doubt it. It might have a new hour meter in its future.

Side note I am skeptical of hour meters on any piece of equipment / vehicle (mileage in this case). Some common sense goes a long way in this type of critical thinking. If it is really old with low hours it doesn't make sense. If it is brand new with a ton of hours it doesn't make sense. Let the machine condition / physical appearance do the talking. I will say I have been surprised multiple times. Sometimes for the good / sometimes for the bad. 'Oh wow this classic car really only has 10,000 miles on it!' This was validated when working on the automobile. If anyone told me or I looked at it via internet pictures I would say 'pffft yeah right'. Other times this machine is beat up so badly their is no way it only has 1000 hours run time. Let the machine do the talking.

If anyone is interested I have a 1980's 843 Bobcat for sale with only 1200 hours? Anyone believe that??? JK

Tenwheeler likes this.
  4. kshansen

kshansen Senior Member

Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
    That last part is the reason the 1845C was sold, company also had a JCB Skid-steer that was a money pit from the day they got it but the only way they could get permission to buy a new skid-steer was to sell the oldest one.

check likes this.
  5. kshansen

kshansen Senior Member

Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
    I'll offer you a dollar for every hour on that Bobcat! You deliver to Central NY?

apetad and Flat Thunder Channel like this.
  6. check

check Senior Member

That's the kind of policy you end up with when you hire college boy management.

kshansen likes this.
  7. apetad

apetad Senior Member

Compact Construction Equipment Sales
    There is no fraud on as-is auctions, you better inspect in person or hire someone to inspect first before bidding.

Tenwheeler likes this.
  8. apetad

apetad Senior Member

Besides, It could easily be a basket case even with an actual 1200 hours on it. WTF? Auction companies often auction off the flood damaged machines for the insurance company with ZERO hours on them.

9. apetad

apetad Senior Member

Ive seen ONE AND ONE ONLY perfectly good 1845C w/original cummins 15000 hours but only used triple shift with pallet forks it's entire life, and impeccably maintained. Only one in 30 years personally.

10. Delmer

Delmer Senior Member

That depends on the state, if an auction company sells lot #123 "as is, where is" then you buy it as is, where is. If they describe it "1845C with 2,500 hours" then they don't get away with lying by saying "as is" if it's a IH with 5,000 hours. If it's got a broken hour meter, or 12,500 hours then you're probably out of luck, but if it's been tampered with you have a case. If you buy a rusty old something from the old ladies doing an estate sale, you won't have any luck coming back and saying it's not even a Case, any auctioneer should know the difference.

11. Welder Dave

Welder Dave Senior Member

I think it would be based on each specific machine. An unscrupulous seller could make something appear to be much better than it is without telling the auction company. That could be considered fraud and the auction company may have recourse. The price paid could also be taken into consideration.

Delmer likes this.
  12. old-iron-habit

old-iron-habit Senior Member

Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
    I bought a old rather rare D4 on a on line auction a few years ago. When I went to retrieve it a few days later it had a different serial number series than advertised. It was a very common machine. The seller was pissed and called me every name in the book but I refused to take it and contacted Auctiontime.com. They sent a rep out to the seller and confirmed my story. I was cleared with no charge to me. The seller then admitted to the auction house that the office gal had made a mistake. I always thought it was unusual that she got the series wrong to a rather rare series but got the rest of the serial numbers right. A month or so later I seen the machine for sale again with a correct serial number. It sold for less than 1/3 of the first sale.