• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

I Need to put new wood on this trailer deck. Advice please.

crane operator

I predrill through both the wood and the steel with a slightly smaller bit.

I don't countersink, the screws will pull themselves down.

If its just a 3,500 lbs car trailer, and you're going to be hauling the skid somewhere every day as a landscaper or something, I'm going to guess you're going to be shopping for a new heavier trailer soon. Most of those light car haulers are made for a 3,000lbs car, and don't handle everyday use.

clydesdale6

It turns out that the axles are Dexter 5.2k or 6k. I won't know exactly until I pull the outer bearing off. From that point, you can distinguish between the two. But, that is much better news for me.:)
Yes, the trailer decking screws seem to be the industry standard. They suggest countersinking, but I could always try without it first.

Camshawn

Occupation
retired
I just drilled pilot holes on the recommendation of my trailer mechanic buddy. Only issue is now I need to replace the deck, 30 yrs in the rainforest of the wet coast.

JLarson

Occupation
Owner- civil and heavy repair/fab company
I've done more decks and deck reinforcements then I care to think about. I buy however many boxes of trailer floor screws, a box of bits and some new torx bits and we go to town. Put tapping fluid or paste on the screws helps.

gwhammy

i'm thinking the only difference between 5200 thru 7000 lb. axles is the tubing thickness. The lighter can have six hole wheels also. I built a 24 foot gooseneck in 93 that has a heavy expanded metal floor in it. I still use that trailer and other than a few holes it's still a good usable trailer. Hard telling how many miles on it, probably the best trailer I ever built. Cross members on 16 inch centers. I use pine in all other trailers now and always replacing boards.

clydesdale6

Well, I need to revive this thread that I started last year. Last year we got behind on this project, but all the lighting is now done and we are planning to put decking on it when the winter is over. The trailer is likely a 10,000 lb trailer and it is 16 feet long. My friend with a mill can cut down oak for me. So, what is my best move? Oak and then soak with sealer, then the self tapping screws? Thanks for helping me get back on track with this.

clydesdale6

I first gotta get wood on the deck. What are the clamping washers that Dmiller suggested? I cannot find such an animal on the internet.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Can do it any of a number of ways, primary idea is to set the retainer bolts At EDGE of yet not into the Steel Work shelf the wood will rest upon. Larger Diameter Thick cross section washers as a 5/8 SAE on a 1/2" bolt with a secondary 1/2" washer to retain that larger diameter outer edge washer OR a secondary choice, 1.5-2" x 1/8" strap Steel drilled for the 1/2" bolts. This becomes a Pinch system to clamp the board to the flange of the trailer supporting steel.Image (20).jpg

Seems too simple but works simply and easily, seeing more commercial trailers done that way, NO drilling Steel or using self tapping bolts.

westerner

I maintained several old equipment trailers. They all had the deck attached as DM shows above.
Dang sure more work to install originally, right? Takes two men.

Too slow, too expensive. Bring on the self tapping screws and a big old kid to push the screwgun....

I used Apitong on my last trailer deck jobs. By far not the cheapest but certainly the longest lasting. The one I replaced had oak and it had rotted through in about 10-12 years.

I actually just saw that referenced last week by a "custom" heavy haul trailer company. My first time hearing of it, they definitely had some big claims for it. Something like 2-3x life of oak?

Delmer

Apitong is a tropical hardwood. It seems it's harder to find and more expensive away from the coasts, local hardwoods are cheaper and easier to find, so not much market, so it's more expensive, so local is cheaper and easier to find...

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
We use what wood we have. I cut Red oak in 2007, had it milled 2-1/4" thick for the dump bed on my 26000 LB gross dump (in the avatar). I milled enough to replace it.
2011 we had a 10,000 year flood tore the storage building apart. My extra oak & quite a lot of other stuff went down the river.
2015, I was hitching chain moving blocks for an antique tractor pull. Phone rang, I answered & immediately disappeared through the deck. At that time I decided steel deck was the better solution.
I stood 1-1/2 X 1/4" flat on edge & put 3/16 one piece in to replace the wood.

Pressure treated is extremely corrosive. I would avoid it.

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
White oak is used here. Black Locust is claimed to last forever, "10 years longer than stone".
I have a pile of black locust to deck a 22500 LB equipment trailer. It is 2006 built, decked with White Oak. Ask me in 17 years how it lasted.