• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

I need to know how to tie a 20' trailer stock trailer down on a 30' equipment trailer.

redneckracin

Occupation
Civil Engineer
I'd rain a chain to each leg of the tongue. Does it have torsion or straight axles? I'm thinking regardless, that wheel straps or tire bonnets would be best.

ianholt150

Surprisingly, it has both. It has a walking beam suspension, with torsion axles. So,how would you do it redneckracin? I dont like the idea of using wheel straps because there are too many things to go wrong. I feel more comfortable using chains and just regular 7500 lb. straps.

redneckracin

Occupation
Civil Engineer
Wow that's unique. Those tire bonnets are the cats meow for tying stuff down that is challenging to tie down (low profile cars or unibody cars). I'd feel more comfortable grabbing the axles than anything else so long as you don't get any brake wires or brake lines. Are the wheels open enough to pass a strap through and not cut it? I wouldn't stop at cinching around a tire and tying it down, but it would give me some piece of mind since trying to strap over the top is going to damage the roof most likely.

ianholt150

Yeah. I was thinking of going over each side of the axles with a chain on each side, as well as a chain on each side of the hitch kind of in an "x" pattern, and over the tires with a strap. Thank you for the advice, and If you have any more, please do not hesitate to add it to this forum!

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
To start you'll want some pulling back and some forward. Depending on width of stock trailer vs trailer it's on you can go around the axle and pull back out to the side of the trailer. I do that on our air compressors. Pull against the tire as this will help pull down, to the side and back or forward. Pulling against the tires also helps keep some tension on it as well as act like a chock.

If the trailers are similar width I'd go from the arm of the torsion axle on one side across to the other thus cross chaining it. I don't trust jacks so if you have some blocks you can set the tongue on do that. In doing so you can chain down as hard as you want and it won't give on you or punch through the floor of the trailer it's loaded on.

Cross chain the tongue and cross chain the rear axle pulling away or towards each other so as to keep them tight. Also, if you have some scrap 4x4 lumber or 2x4's you can stack go ahead and chock the wheels as well. Toenail them into the trailer it's loaded on. Anything we haul that's on wheels or can roll gets chocked.

Hope that makes sense. Let me know if I need to clarify.

redneckracin

Occupation
Civil Engineer
Happy to help. I have a bumper pull horse trailer that is going to need a trip to the scrap yard so I have been pondering the question myself. The bigger issue I think is going to be how to get it on the trailer without a loading dock.

I like the wheel chock ideas junkyard and the tip about the block instead of the jack is an excellent one too.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
Same concept. I'd still stick blocks under the corners and let it off the jack. It really doesn't change anything. Ignore the neck and chain at the corners where you blocked it up and chain the axle.

ianholt150

OK. I think that that is what I'll do, since it is a long way from where I live to where I am going. If you put blocks under the corners, would that reduce, or completely eliminate, rocking back and forth of the stock trailer, since it is a single jack, instead of dual jacks. Thank you, redneckracin, and Junkyard!