• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

i need to buy

maputowhite

3 big 36"dia land clearing balls to use with our anchor chain.

can anyone tell me who sells them or where i can get them second hand.

cheers guys.

ben46a

3 foot round steel balls to be lashed together with anchor chain to be used in landclearing operations. The balls keep the chain off the ground so they dont become as entangled in rocks and roots etc.... Thats my wild guess anyways ;)

HeyUvaVT

i am fascinated by the old methods of clearing with the dozers and chains...anyone with any pics or info or links please post them up!

Deas Plant

Balls for clearing

Hi, Folks,
As requested by Squizzy:

As you can see from the 3rd and 4th photos, using 2 machines to pull a chain or cable for clearing is hardly new - like 1905.

Use of the ball was discontinued in the 1950's DownUnder because it was found that too many trees were being snapped off instead of uprooted, leaving many broken stumps behind which then had to be dug out individually.

Attachments

• Clearing with ball and chain_1.jpg
    Clearing with ball and chain_1.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 951
  • Clearing with ball and chain_1A.jpg
    Clearing with ball and chain_1A.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 978
  • Traction engines pulling trees NSW 1905_1A.jpg
    Traction engines pulling trees NSW 1905_1A.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 951
  • Traction engines pulling trees NSW 1905_1B.jpg
    Traction engines pulling trees NSW 1905_1B.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 942
  • Ball_and_Chain_1_Acmoc.jpg
    Ball_and_Chain_1_Acmoc.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 946

OCR

Occupation
Rancher/Farmer, Wildland Fire Fighter, State snowp
Balls for clearing:

3 foot round steel balls to be lashed together with anchor chain to be used in landclearing operations. The balls keep the chain off the ground so they dont become as entangled in rocks and roots etc.... Thats my wild guess anyways ;)

Hi ben46a,

Actually, I think the balls had a tendency to hold the chain down....

So the chain didn't just slid up and ride over the tops of trees and brush.

If I'm in need of correction here... please do so.

Deas, did you know any of those people in the last picture you posted?

OCR

Last edited:

Deas Plant

Those Balls.

Hi, OCR.
You are in need of correction here. The purpose of the ball was to help hold the chain up off the ground so that it had more height and thus more leverage to pull down bigger trees. How-wever, as mentioned earlier, it also tended to break more trees off instead of uprooting them and so it was mostly abandoned in the late 1950's, at least here in DownUnder, where we are perhaps a little more progressive. LOL..

And no, I don't know any of the people in that last photo. Contrary to what appears to be a commonly-held belief on this site, I am NOT THAT old. I was still going to school when that photo was taken. How-wevver, I have done something in my life that only a VERY few others here have done - - - - - - survived long enough to get to be as old as I currently am. LOL.

OCR

Occupation
Those Balls.

Hi Deas,
Hi, OCR.
You are in need of correction here. The purpose of the ball was to help hold the chain up off the ground so that it had more height and thus more leverage to pull down bigger trees. How-wever, as mentioned earlier, it also tended to break more trees off instead of uprooting them and so it was mostly abandoned in the late 1950's, at least here in DownUnder, where we are perhaps a little more progressive. LOL..

And no, I don't know any of the people in that last photo. Contrary to what appears to be a commonly-held belief on this site, I am NOT THAT old. I was still going to school when that photo was taken. How-wevver, I have done something in my life that only a VERY few others here have done - - - - - - survived long enough to get to be as old as I currently am. LOL.

You are in need of correction here.
That's not unusual... :p

The purpose of the ball was to help hold the chain up off the ground so that it had more height and thus more leverage to pull down bigger trees.
I thought that without the weight of the balls... to hold the chain off the ground... but also down... it might start to ride up over the top of the shorter vegetation... just bending it over... :beatsme

I don't know any of the people in that last photo.
I was still going to school when that photo was taken.
Aha, but you could have known them.... They weren't that old.

Contrary to what appears to be a commonly-held belief on this site
commonly-held belief... :beatsme... :)...................... :lmao

survived long enough to get to be as old as I currently am.
;)...;)...;)

Me too.... And now, at least or at last, .... We're too old to die young...:)...:) With apologies to Moe.

OCR

Deas Plant

Hold-ups or hold-downs

Hi, OCR.
Well, for a start, an 8-foot diameter ball is going to hold the chain immediately adjacent to it 4 feet off the ground, which will allow a fair bit of undergrowth to pass under it, just like the chain climbing a tree as it falls but ALL the time.

I have never seen a 100% kill on a chaining job, not even in lighter scrub or in eucalypt mallee country where there is little if any undergrowth. How-wevver, the intial burn-off after the chaining usually seemed to kill most of whatever shrubbery had survived the chain and subsequent raking and further burning seemed to leave a pretty clean field. That is not to say that there was no regrowth if the area wasn't worked or that blade plowing would not improve the job but consider this.

In lighter going with 2 x D8H's and 600 feet of 2 1/2" chain, we were knocking down anything up to 1,200 acres a day, cutting around 400 feet wide in second gear, in 1967 prices. Even if you have to plow it a couple of times after it was all burned, that would still be pretty cheap clearing for the times. Sometimes in that lighter going, it was even possible to put a crawler tractor and heavy plow straight into it after the first burn, even further reducing costs.

Gone are the days.

I could not have known those people. The powers that be insisted that I spend my days in school, NOT wandering around some soon-to-be-but-not-yet farm out the back of beyond hob-nobbing with government officials and bureacrats. And my parents insisted that I help them on the farm after school, thus further limiting my opportunities for hob-nobbing. Get the picture?

OCR

Occupation
The picture... I got it, I got it:

I thought that looked as though it had ben burnt off... in the first two pictures, Deas.

Get the picture?

Yes..... :p

OCR

Deas Plant

Burnt off???????????????

Hi, OCR.
I see you still have a little to learn about Australian 'forests'. (So do I but I have an inkling in this case.) I believe the scientific term for that sort of eucalypt forest is 'dry sclerophyll forest' - don't ask me why 'cos I don't know. It quite often doesn't have a lot of undergrowth in it which, especially in a black-n-white photo, could tend to give it a burnt-off appearance.

Howzyer edumackayshun progressing, young feller?

OCR

Occupation
Burnt off... Not:

Hi, OCR.
I see you still have a little to learn about Australian 'forests'. (So do I but I have an inkling in this case.) I believe the scientific term for that sort of eucalypt forest is 'dry sclerophyll forest' - don't ask me why 'cos I don't know. It quite often doesn't have a lot of undergrowth in it which, especially in a black-n-white photo, could tend to give it a burnt-off appearance.

Howzyer edumackayshun progressing, young feller?

Yup, first two looked burnt... but on rexamination... I see I went wrong... :eek:

Howzyer edumackayshun progressing?

Progressing???... why, it seems to be going the other way... :confused:... ;)

young feller
.......:falldownlaugh

OCR

Deas Plant

Young feller?????????

Hi, OCR.

Quote:
"young feller "

.......:falldownlaugh

You've still got a few to go to catch me - - - by which time I will have moved on, leaving you still with a few to go to catch up.

Happy chasing.

maputowhite

Thanks for the info guys but do you know where I get these balls?

We have about 20000 ha of bush in northern mozambique to clear.

Deas Plant

Hi, Maputowhite.
May I ask why you want the balls to go with your chain? If you need them to hold the chain down, then your chain is probably too light. In my experience, it is better to use a heavier chain rather than a light one, especially in scrub, as it does a better job of breaking the branches off and laying the whole lot flatter on the ground, resulting in a better burn.

In answer to your query about where to obtain/purchase such items, I honestly have no idea where to look. As mentioned earlier in this thread, the balls we used here in DownUnder were around 8 feet in diameter, more than twice the size that you are seeking and I haven't heard of one in around 45 years.

If you can find some old anti-shipping mines, the bigger versions of them might do the job if you weld swivels into them to attach the chain to. Make sure all the go-bang material is well and truly GONE before you start doing any cutting or welding.

Otherwise: :beatsme :confused: :beatsme :confused: :beatsme :confused:

maputowhite

the reason is the chain is heravy but the waste is clogging & it requires either an other dozer or an excavator to free it up.i heard of the ball thing from an old timer who did a lot of land prep back in the old colonial days in zim.good idea on the mines but i can't find those either.txs 4 the help mate.

Deas Plant

How about using pipe.

Hi, Maputowhite.
Have you given any thought to maybe using a couple of lengths of 24" to 36" heavywall pipe about 6' long? Weld some bracing inside to stop it crushing and end plates solid enough to take swivels to attach to the chain? The end plates might need to be in the region 1" to 2'' thick to take the punishment and your pipe might need to be 1/2" - 3/4" wall thickness - the bigger the diameter, the thicker the wall will need to be.

Just a thought for an alternative.

bruce oz

balls

hello maputowhite, i was thining the same as deas ,i googled and came up with no balls for sale or a maker ,looks like they were made when steel and laubour was cheap ,
it will depend on the bush you are chaining wheather you need the ball ,if you have time ,one dozer goes back and pushes the missed trees, big dozers ,d8-9's with long chain dosnt pull tree ,stop and one goes back and pushes tree ,you will know when one donst come down ,the dozer with most traction will pull the othe backwards for a bit .
smaller dozers just burn the bush and a good blade and clean up everything that didnt burn:notworthy

bruce oz

OCR

Occupation
How about using pipe:

Hi, Maputowhite.
Have you given any thought to maybe using a couple of lengths of 24" to 36" heavywall pipe about 6' long?
Just a thought for an alternative.

Great Idea!!!! :thumbsup

And if more weight were needed... they could be filled with water... :idea

Although... I might need some correction here... :p

OCR