• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

I need some guidance

Blue924.9

Hello everyone, I have browsed this forum many times but this will be the first time posting, I want to say thanks for all the knowledge I have picked up on here, there really isn't a forum like this for equipment anywhere else.

Now on to my debacle, I work for a mostly ag and some construction John Deere dealer, I went to the tech program and graduated 7 months ago. When i started the program i was told that I would not be on the bonus program and there would be a focus on learning the job and learning to do the job right. well by the time i had graduated we were in pretty good need for a technician and there were some management changes as well. I ended up getting hired as a full-fledged technician about 2 weeks after i had graduated, because of this my efficiency gets mixed in with all the other techs at our location. obviously being young and inexperienced i am not exactly setting the world on fire with my efficiency numbers so to speak and because of this I have been under extreme pressure from management to perform quicker. when I do work quicker I tend to have a few more mistakes happen which I think is expected from someone green in the gills. I have been battling management on an on going cycle, first they want me to work faster, then they want me to slow down and focus on learning, and then a few weeks later its work faster and so on. I am wondering if any of you have been in this situation before and what to do or what to expect? I was also wondering if anyone had any work related tips or tricks that they would be willing to share. I enjoy the work and I enjoy the people i work with but all this back and forth and pressure has made the job plain miserable and I am looking for a change. thanks to everyone for helping a young guy getting started in the trade out.

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
We have all been there on one level or Another. Management will always try to force you to do what fits in their need at that time. It is unfair to expect an experienced technician to have the same times as a new guy. Build a network with your coworkers share phone numbers when you get stumped on a job call them asked them what would you do in your situation, these are the findings that I have. I think you will find a lot of your coworkers will be just like us here on the forum , they will be willing to help you as long as you do what they ask, the way they ask and are careful about what you do. No one is expected to know everything about everything that's why this forum is such a great resource, most of us have a lot of experience, just not on every single thing so we rely heavily on each other to fill in the gaps.
There will be the guy that doesn't wanna share any information, there will be the guy that gives you bad information, it won't take you long to figure out who they are, obviously those are not good resources but some of the older fellows and some of the brighter young guys I think will be more than willing to help you out and bring you up in this career. There just aren't enough of us out there where we can do all the work we need to share it with some of you young guys To carry on. In the meantime, don't hesitate to post , there's a lot of experienced guys here willing to help you out if you need.

BigWrench55

Hang in there. This is the most rewarding job I've ever had and I think with time you will feel that way to. Don't be afraid to take advice and criticism. Right now you should focus on learning rather than being fast. Speed comes with experience. And rushing will cause mistakes. I have been doing this for 20years and sometimes not often I will go over the time. My boss will quiz me on it and I will simply say that I will rather be slow and get it right. Rather than going fast and fixing my mistakes and still wind up going over time. If and when managment starts pressuring you to do better and faster. Don't take it personally and just give yes sirs and no sirs and go back to work. Unless you have a understanding boss they aren't going to listen to your reasons. Hang in there, learn something and enjoy yourself. Good luck.

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
FWF said it right.. 1 small flaw tho.. Most/Some jobs wont allow cell phones on the shop floor..
When I was training a FNG & wouldnt cut him lose until 6 months.. I'd check, double check & stand over him until roughly 6 months.. it takes THAT long to be proficient at my job..
So they wanna throw u to the wolves after HOW LONG.?? & w/ just "book learning" & some "hands-on" in a class room setting.??
Another way to look at it is.. your a full time mechanic reaping the pay & bennies of a full time mechanic..
IF u complain to loudly, your sent back to the minors.. Part time w/ no bennies..

Mobiltech

Occupation
Self employed Heavy duty mechanic
This is a tough question to answer without knowing all the details. If you’re taking 8 hours to do a 2 hour job that’s a problem that would make any manager want to push you to speed things up. If you’re taking 4 hours for a 2 hour job that would be acceptable and no one should bother you about it.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
It's OK, all the managers I've been around do that with the journeymen wrenches as well. Just reconcile in your mind that you are working to the best of "your ability" and don't worry about their expectations. Most all of what managers want is just noise anyway.

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
I was referring to calling back to the shop for "help".. to another mechanic..
I used to hate it when they would send "a new guy" out on a job w/o sending a real tech w/ him..
it was embarrassing when one of us had to go behind him & fix the problem..
It NEVER failed.. & "we" would get an EAR FULL from the customer..
It became such a norm that it wouldn't even phase us.{me}
I started siding w/ the customer & would tell them not to pay the 1st bill & who to call{not the foreman} to get it taken care of..{ext.#}
THEN I'd get an earful when I got back, for telling the customer not to pay the 1st bill... Lol

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Got thrown into a flat rate shop right off fresh from trade school, took all the butt chewing's and tongue lashings to build speed then all the same for costing money and not making any. Took me a good four months of Learning to get decent at what I did, getting better just takes time, so if Unsure you are doing something correct enough SLOW DOWN, if has been done before and feel comfortable try moving the pace up a notch, NOT A LOT just a bump at a time. Has worked for Almost ALL of us old farts. BTW Butt chewing NEVER stops no matter how good nor smooth nor effective as that is just the bosses ways.

JD955SC

I went through the exact same crap, and it caused a lot of stress, self doubt, anxiety for me

They back off alot when you get experience. Just hang in there. We hear about “productivity” a lot but in reality is it’s not the working on stuff that is slow it’s cleaning, ordering parts, looking up info, waiting on decisions, having to go help others, dealing with flat rate jobs that aren’t quoted to the fullest extent, etc that slows down every mechanic. It’s the nature of the beast

If they don’t like my pace the worst they can do is fire me and I have a long list of places I can go make money at instead if they want to play that game.

Last edited:

Blue924.9

Ok guys thanks for all the info so far. I am in the shop only, only going out to assist the field techs when they need it [I would like to be a field tech someday] I work in an agricultural store and we cover anything from lawn mowers to 620hp tractors and 1200hp forage harvesters. I do only have 7 months work experience and a 2 year schooling program prior to that. I graduated with a 3.8 gpa and feel very comfortable with the book side of things but we all know here that only gets you so far in the technician way of life. I would like to believe I have made improvements and my performance really depends on the job. I can go from 140 percent or more of book time to 85 percent book time typically. I do have the occasional but kicker like today I had to set up attachments for a lawn mower with very poor printed instructions and ran 208 percent. If I had to do it again tomorrow I feel I could beat time on it but i'm sure i will only hear about the one i was over time on. Starting June 6 which is 1 year they want me to be at 75 percent efficiency which means I need to beat time by 75 percent if I only have jobs at 100 percent which I feel for me is impossible at the moment. Anyhow thanks again for the input it's kinda nice taking with people who understand where i'm coming from

Old Doug

One thing a mechanic needs is thick skin.I would like to have a talk with your boss. A guy starting out needs time to become a good mechanic. He dosent need some one telling him faster ,faster. Keep your toolbox wheels oiled up just in case. My last boss told me i was the slowest guy in the shop but he also said i had less comebacks than any one that had ever worked there.

crane operator

Remember too, your "service manager" has a standard and rating. His bosses want him to show 75% so that they're making money. Don't let the numbers get you all bent out of shape, its a way for the bean counters to justify their jobs and put a measure on how you guys are spending your time.

Don't let them get you all off your game and mess you up. Bust tail, work hard, pay attention, and do a good job. If that isn't good enough for them at only 7 months out of school, you work for idiots and you just as well learn that now so you can be looking for your next job.

The bosses always love to push, it makes them look good to the higher ups when they've boosted the "numbers". Especially in a dealership situation where everyone wants to be a boss.

At 7 months out of school, you're green as grass, they know it and you know it. They hired you, and you can only do your best. If your best isn't good enough, they will let you know.

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
Remember too, your "service manager" has a standard and rating. His bosses want him to show 75% so that they're making money. Don't let the numbers get you all bent out of shape, its a way for the bean counters to justify their jobs and put a measure on how you guys are spending your time.

Don't let them get you all off your game and mess you up. Bust tail, work hard, pay attention, and do a good job. If that isn't good enough for them at only 7 months out of school, you work for idiots and you just as well learn that now so you can be looking for your next job.

The bosses always love to push, it makes them look good to the higher ups when they've boosted the "numbers". Especially in a dealership situation where everyone wants to be a boss.

At 7 months out of school, you're green as grass, they know it and you know it. They hired you, and you can only do your best. If your best isn't good enough, they will let you know.
In my younger learning days, I'm still learning BTW. I would bounce shop to shop. Look for the oldest guy in the joint (who had all his fingers)and park my box by his. I would pick his brain for all it was worth. By then me n mgmt would disagree on something and it was time to move on. That's where I graduated from, old guys who got cross if you were stupid and told you why that was the wrong way or why this way is better. Dont just tell me I'm wrong, explain why. Plus I learned so much more than I can ever repay, things they dont teach. How to run a bead upside down or vertical. How to unstuck seized parts. Hillbilly shortcuts. All these are invaluable, you just have to find those willin to share.

JD955SC

Ok guys thanks for all the info so far. I am in the shop only, only going out to assist the field techs when they need it [I would like to be a field tech someday] I work in an agricultural store and we cover anything from lawn mowers to 620hp tractors and 1200hp forage harvesters. I do only have 7 months work experience and a 2 year schooling program prior to that. I graduated with a 3.8 gpa and feel very comfortable with the book side of things but we all know here that only gets you so far in the technician way of life. I would like to believe I have made improvements and my performance really depends on the job. I can go from 140 percent or more of book time to 85 percent book time typically. I do have the occasional but kicker like today I had to set up attachments for a lawn mower with very poor printed instructions and ran 208 percent. If I had to do it again tomorrow I feel I could beat time on it but i'm sure i will only hear about the one i was over time on. Starting June 6 which is 1 year they want me to be at 75 percent efficiency which means I need to beat time by 75 percent if I only have jobs at 100 percent which I feel for me is impossible at the moment. Anyhow thanks again for the input it's kinda nice taking with people who understand where i'm coming from

That’s another part of it. Our primary product brand covers 30 odd families of products that we deal with directly, and in each of those families there are unique variations. And then there are the other brands we sell and service, of which there are plenty with their own product variations

We are expected to be fast and be experts on everything and the multiple different systems on everything, including stuff we see once a year or once a decade, or the first one we have touched ever. My head hurts thinking about all the stuff I have to know and have yet to learn.

Throw in all the factors I mentioned before and you are going to be spending plenty of time not turning a wrench and not by your choice.

Last edited:

Tenwheeler

There are different types of people and companies.
I worked with some people like Hughdenie ( nickname ) who was a bit older happy go lucky guy. He would help anybody respectable that had an interest. That was not his job as he was a mechanic. He did a lot for people like me as well as the company while doing his own job all along.
Other people are not so nice and say things like: They send people in here and expect me to train them. Then they will give them my job for less money. He was a supervisor and on another job one was a pipe welder. I was impressed by his work and just asked a question. I am a mechanic and above average welder for a mechanic, I thank. His smart mouth reply was way out of line to me. I could never take his job unless I went to welding school and had the ability and experience. He would be retired by then.
I have worked for some companies with a happy go lucky attitude that cranked out a lot of work. Should have said shops. With the same company I was transferred to another shop and the atmosphere changed just like the type of people mentioned. That shop was not nearly as productive. Also worked for a few different companies over the years.
My advise is to keep your current job as long as you can stand it. Sounds like you may have dealer and or factory training opertunities. That is worth a lot.
If they send you off to school apply yourself. Do not go out clubbing with the guys. A lot of them I went through had a test at the end. They said there was no pass or fail. We just want to be sure we are doing a good job with our training program. The party animals usually weeded out of training programs pretty quick.
I was a hot head and was fairly short. I left a company with back and forth directives but could have had a good retirement by now. Do not regret it.
Strive to control yourself in all situations. Start a notebook at home and tell no one. When you get verbal directives on take the time to be educated and do the job jot that down. When you get new directives that contridict that jot them down. Always be polite and do your job to the best of your ability. Take some time and thank about some standard answers for things like you are taking to long. Well I never did exactly this before or I am just struggling with this for some reason. I may be taking longer than we like but I want it to be 100% when it leaves. If it comes back it costs you three times and I want to just do it once. What? Three times? Yes you pay me to do it once. If I rush through it and it comes back you have to pay me a second time for the same job. The time I spend doing it the second time should be making money on a third so it cost three times. I just want to do it right the first time. If you know of anyone that maybe able to help me when I am in a struggle I would appreciate it.
When you get your annual appraisal if they come up with some off the wall junk and want you to sign it. Like not following company guide lines that you were verbally told not to. Just say hum. I need to thank about that. Can I get a copy of this and talk about this tomorrow. Do not let them know you have a ledger but then ask " Well Joe don't you remember when I was working on xyz job and you told me to do it this way?
One that got me was being fussed at for taking the standard allotted time for a service and inspection. Why did it that this long? Well that is about normal. But that truck is brand new. It still tanks just as long to check everything. But it is brand new. Probably had about 10'000 miles on it. Should have asked him if you just want me to pencil whip it and change the oil. Ok Jot it down.
Quality workmanship never goes out of style. I used to talk the books home so I would know how to do the job the next day.

hosspuller

After years in the corporate game, one learns to manage upward too. Doing the wrench turning is only part of a successful career. While you educate yourself, you have to educate those above you on the intricacies of your job.
Your boss, unless a former wrench turner, doesn't see, the manual calls for X part to be taken off and resealed, yet the manual doesn't say which wrench or how to hold a 100 pound part in the air. Every job, the first time its done takes time to figure out. (and time to make that special tool... the bent & cut wrench, or pliers with the welded on tab, etc.) Since you're new, most of your jobs are the first time. You can only assure the boss, you'll do better the next time that job is done by educating him on what you learned.
And, that leads to … don't settle for ten years of experience doing the first year ten times. Look for the new jobs as they come into the shop. They're the risky ones that'll take more time, but are valuable experience that make you valuable to the shop.