• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

I need help with taking the tilt rams off s205

silverram323

Occupation
USPS Truck Driver
The tilt rams started leaking really bad and i need to take them off to replace the seals.

It looks like the best option is to put the attachment plate flat and pull all fitting the bolts.

Does this sound right?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1462121219.161242.jpg

Rustyratchet

Yes just like you have it in the pic. Just take out the keeper bolt knock out the pin. I would loosen the gland nut on the cylinder end before taking it loose that wil hold it in place for you. You probably wont need to take the other end off the machine. I can usually just pull the rod out and leave the cylinder attached. Very simlpe job just be careful putting the new seals in the right order and orientation. Keep everthing clean and it should take an hour to do. When putting the rod back in lube it up good with Vaseline and loosen the lines and it should go right together.

silverram323

Occupation
USPS Truck Driver
I took them off all the way, the rods are bent, i dropped them off a hydraulic shop for inspections, and he will make new rods and rebuild the cylinders.

Rustyratchet

Well that stinks I hate to hear it. I just love it when a simple cheap repair turns into an expensive P.I.T.A.. Good luck.

silverram323

Occupation
USPS Truck Driver
It turns out the head cap (gland) is egg shaped from the rods being bent.

I have seen people talk about a online store that has cheaper parts. Its like parts source or something like that. Any one have a link?

Part number is 6536968 and even google dont come up with anything.

Dealer wants $137.50 for each aluminum cap. (Rip off).

caterpillarmech

Occupation
Field Service Supervisor
So, if the rods are bent, whats the price for the whole cylinder assembly? Some of the cat tilt cylinders were under 300$

CRAFT

Occupation
30 yrs Owner/Operator
Bobcat wants $1100 each.

At $137.50 for the end cap … that sounds extremely Cheap to Me !!! …. the $1100 tag for the complete cyl sounds typical BS of Bcat parts, even for your part of N.America ….

MY Big Question to You Is …. How did the Rams get bent in the first place …. I've done some Pretty mean things to my A300 (same cyl's as yours) and haven't ever bent one, there have been too many times where I way over exceeded the cap of the cyl's and they never bent …..

Not trying to point a neglect finger in your direction, only asking that it should be looked into as to WHY it got bent to reassure it Never happens again ….

lantraxco

Usual cause is debris falling over the back of the bucket and getting wedged between the coupler and the cylinder rod?

CRAFT

Occupation
30 yrs Owner/Operator
Usual cause is debris falling over the back of the bucket and getting wedged between the coupler and the cylinder rod?

You mean Like This kind of Debris ??? …… LOL

Attachments

• HPIM0975.jpg
    HPIM0975.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 67

silverram323

Occupation
USPS Truck Driver
My guy claims it happens when people dont use the bobcat properly..

He said he has seen it alot from concrete guys, they stand the bucket on the cutting edge and drive forward (lilt arms fully extended) and pry chunks of concrete. Prying isn't the biggest issue as its when there driving forward and they hit a solid object and it stops the bobcat and that results in bending the rods. The hydraulic guy said the end caps are way out of spec, and he said he doubts that i bent them as the caps dont get that worn out that fast. I bought it in end of Sept of 2015.

Well im am new to bobcats, and i didnt know alot about them, i bought the newest, with the most accessories for the cheapest price. I also seen a concrete sticker on his truck as i was leaving. (huhhumm) Well it is what it is, and i learn something new everyday..

CRAFT

Occupation
30 yrs Owner/Operator
Were both bent or just the one ??? ….. You can't bend the rams ever going forward … but there is a remote chance to bend going backwards with the rams fully extended, even then as we do this all the time especially in the winter using the tooth bucket to cut ice build up down and hitting a raised object like a manhole cover, but still it would take a mean force to do it ….

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
I'm really trying to figure out how one bends the bucket tilt rods on a Bobcat. As has been stated, this can only be done with cylinders extended. And with Bobcat machines, and pretty much any skid loader, downward pressure on the bucket simply lifts the front wheels off the ground, they really don't have much gravity force on the front end. Not saying your rods aren't bent, just saying I'm baffled as to why.

lantraxco

I've seen operators break out driveways slabs with a toothed bucket straight down on a skid steer. As mitch504 sez, extra crunchy....

silverram323

Occupation
USPS Truck Driver
I'm really trying to figure out how one bends the bucket tilt rods on a Bobcat. As has been stated, this can only be done with cylinders extended. And with Bobcat machines, and pretty much any skid loader, downward pressure on the bucket simply lifts the front wheels off the ground, they really don't have much gravity force on the front end. Not saying your rods aren't bent, just saying I'm baffled as to why.

Willie, I dont know what to tell you bud, I bought this thing used and i dont know what has happened to this unit.. All i do know is, Fluid started gushing out one of the ends and i took it apart from there. Here is a pic of them sitting in my waste basket after removing the fluid. They will not go in any further by hand. The rods appear to be bent out, same way as the zerk fitting.

13183086_10156884953120052_666958932_n.jpg