• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

I need help guys deciding on a bucket!!

NVtracks

Hey guys!

I am getting ready to receive my first track steer, a Takeuchi TL150. I am buying it used from United Rentals and it is coming with a used Bradco 72" tooth GP bucket. I have the option of buying a used Bradco 66" smooth GP bucket as well for an extra $632.

My question to all of you is: Do you think I would be making a mistake spending that much on a used bucket that is narrower than my machine which is 73" wide? Will it make that much of a difference vs. a 72" or even 80" bucket? I know several of you have talked about grapples and making sure they are slightly wider than the machine as to clear out any debris in front of your tracks. Is this the same for a bucket? I am debating just buying new and getting a wider bucket, but I will need to spend another $400-500 bucks though. After writing a hefty check for the machine, along with the few attachments I have to have right away (Blue Diamond open face brush cutter, BD grapple, and pallet forks), I am not really wanting to fork out a bunch of extra money, but will if its the better way to go.

Also, as anybody ever bought the extended warranty that United Rentals offers? Do you think it is worth it?

Thanks guys!

James in Nevada

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
I don't know if it's a fair price or not as the price of attachments isn't my area, but my opinion is you would not be happy with a bucket that's not as wide as the tracks, no matter if it's a used bucket or a new one. :)

Tags

There is no way you should be getting a bucket that is not as wide as the machine. It should at least have a 78" bucket, but could easily handle an 84". Those TL150s are a beast and will tear up a bucket not heavy enough for it. Plus if the bucket isn't wider than the machine all the material you dig in will fall into the undercarriage constantly a d will lessen the life of the tracks an rollers dramatically. I would ask for a credit for the bucket a d either buy your own or have them supply you with a properly sized one. Just my opinion, hope it helps...

NVtracks

Wow, Tags, you think even the 72" tooth bucket is too small? I wasnt expecting to hear that. I sure appreciate the info and advice though because I really dont have any experience with this. It makes complete sense that I should have a bucket wider than the tracks.

What do the Takeuchis come with when bought new?

Last edited:

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
I advocate a wider bucket at least a couple inches. Reason being is as you push through material or excavate having a bucket that is a little wider helps keep some of the material from falling in behind the bucket and into the tracks. Bradco is a good bucket. I bought a new 84" Bradco extend lip bucket for my TR320 CASE shortly after I got the machine. I can still push material over the top of the bucket at will. The TL150 would do the same. There is no doubt the machine will handle larger buckets. You can find 80" buckets (if you don't want an 84"), they are a little more difficult to find, but they are out there. I have no idea why they would sell you a 66" bucket for that machine. That is dumb as is a 72" bucket for a TL150.

Another reason is if your a contractor time is money. Why run a machine the size of a TL150 with a small bucket. Your paying to run a 100 hp machine that weighs over 10K, get the most out of your machine. Run the most bucket your machine can effectively handle. There are times for a smaller bucket, such as excavating hard material, that is why one bucket seldom works if you do a variety of work. However generally especially with a machine in this weight class, you need to optimize the bucket for the job.

Last edited:

Tags

KSSS is right on the money, I believe that machine is spec'd by Tak to run almost a 1 yd bucket.

NVtracks

Thanks guys for the info and advice. I have backed out of buying the smaller 66' bucket. I think I will still end up with the 72" tooth bucket for now simply because otherwise, I wouldnt have a bucket for the machine when I pick it up. Then I wouldnt even get to play with it!
I figure if I dont like the 72" i can always try to sell it or keep it for certain applications. I will look for some larger used buckets though.
Thanks!

dukeyjoe

Occupation
Derm PA
You can use the 72 in toothed bucket for tough jobs, like digging rock and get a bigger bucket for less destructive work.

stumpjumper83

Occupation
Movin dirt
Like others are saying the 72" is too narrow. I have a Gehl ctl 70 which is the tak 140, and I have 80" smooth and tooth buckets for it. I dunno if I'd mess with the 72, you need to be at least as wide as the tracks on those machines. Bobcat makes a nice heavy duty 80" bucket by the way with the cast attachment plate.

Mark13

Like others are saying the 72" is too narrow. I have a Gehl ctl 70 which is the tak 140, and I have 80" smooth and tooth buckets for it. I dunno if I'd mess with the 72, you need to be at least as wide as the tracks on those machines. Bobcat makes a nice heavy duty 80" bucket by the way with the cast attachment plate.

I'm running an 80" bucket on a TL230, the previous owner ran a 84" bucket on it. He said no bigger but rarely ran a smaller bucket on it. Both buckets have a rezloh edge and do a pretty good job as a multipurpose bucket. My bucket is a Quick Attach, his was a Case bucket left over from a 90xt.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
If they are basically giving you the 73" for free than that's fine, but if you paying more than $500 for it, I would leave it and take the reduction and get a properly sized bucket. Once you spend time in a machine this size you will see what we mean. Its physically too small. Tracks are expensive as are undercarriage components the wider buckets helps protect them to some degree. If you are getting it for free, I would buy a bigger bucket and sell the 73", you really have no use for it.

lumberjack

Here's my MTL325 (Tak TL250/Predecessor to the TL150) with an 84"/1 yard bucket on the dirt it cut/stockpiled in roughly an hour. It handles the weight great, and it cuts well for having a bolt on edge. The machine is 73" wide, I wouldn't want a bucket less than 78" wide for general work. Teeth would be nice for digging, but less than 78" doesn't clear much for the tracks. Obviously if I had a specific job/reason where a more narrow bucket would be beneficial, I would get it. Also as I gain more seat time I might change my opinion.

Like KSSS said, when it comes to cutting/pushing dirt, the 150/250 has no problem sending dirt over the back of the bucket or carrying a full bucket to the top of the pile. Weight wise, the difference between 72" and 84" isn't very much on a machine in this size class. Capacity wise there is a 15% increase to go from 73" to 84".

Attachments

• MTL325 on Dirt Pile.jpeg
    MTL325 on Dirt Pile.jpeg
    129.2 KB · Views: 409

NVtracks

Thanks everyone for the great advice on what bucket to get. I think at this point I am stuck with the 72' tooth bucket that is coming with the machine. I certainly won't say that it is free, because it all cost money in the end, but it is the bucket that comes with it and I will use it at least for awhile. I'm looking forward to getting some stick time before I start buying buckets. KSSS and lumberjack- I will certainly start looking at larger smooth buckets right away though since I decided not to purchase their used smooth 68".
Again thanks for the input. This forum is awesome for us newbees!!