• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

I learned something new today in Oklahoma.

BigWrench55

Got the call yesterday evening that I was needed in Duvol,Oklahoma for a emergency repair. The emergency was I needed to install a o-ring. :rolleyes:
Well I didn't make it. I got shut down at the scale house. I recieved 8 tickets. Two are the same ticket twice. Apparently there are two entities that can write you tickets. My truck passed inspection. What they got me for to shut me down was driving a cmv without a cdl. In Texas I don't need a cdl to operate this truck. It's registered for under 26,000. The trooper tells me that federal law goes by the gvwr and not what it's registered for. So now I am waiting to be towed across the state line so that I can go home. This is the most expensive o-ring ever. :eek:

BigWrench55

What I learned is to sneak into Oklahoma and avoid the scale house. I also learned that the troopers at this scale house are condescending d**k heads. It probably would have went better had I didn't tell them so. I give the same respect that's given me. And I don't much like my employees talking down to me.

BigWrench55

It was something to that effect. I will run it by boss. I wouldn't know how that would work legally. Technically we are for hire, but not in this state. We are merely taking care one of our customers from Texas.

skyking1

^ that is a good idea by any metric. The "not for hire" thing is not going to fly for a service truck, unless you have farms in both states and only work on your farm equipment. Even then, expect a ton of crap from law enforcement at the border.

Learn this week in IA scale south of Sioux City . After they did inspection that included opening compartments on service truck that R134a bottle on my portable reclaimer could not be hauled in service truck cause bottle did not have sticker on it like torch bottles.

BigWrench55

So am I understanding this correctly. Because I crossed the state line it required me to have a cdl?

Oldcatpusher

Those white OCC cars will stop a landscapers 3/4 ton truck pulling their lawnmowers on a 16ft trailer and check them like a semi. Watched them pull over a sprinter van pulling a small car behind it a month back. Pulled my Cat rep over in a half ton pulling a towable air compressor and gave him a ticket for being 400 lbs overweight. He weighed 10,400. They have no mercy. Over 10k lbs with a trailer and you're game to them. They run those state lines hard.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Read up Paul on the Regs, it is NOT licensed or Registration weight, it is the door tag GVWR for CDL Requirement and I have no clue how you avoid it in TX as I could NOT in MO. OK. KS. IA . IL. NB. or CO. driving service trucks or any truck with a company logo on it.

My Previous Employer would NOT listen as to that either until several of my co-workers were stopped and ticketed Off Company Premises headed to a associated site.

BigWrench55

I'm thinking that I avoided that ticket because I don't have to stop at the scales here. And if I do then the Texas state troopers don't seem to mind when I don't. I am a little pissed that my company has put me in this situation. Since I don't have a cdl I don't bother with knowing all the rules. They will have to get me a smaller truck or take me out of this and put me in the shop. I refuse to get a cdl.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Had a Class A since they converted the old Chauffer's licenses here, moved to UT, they accepted my MO Chauffer license to issue theirs, Got back to MO and had to retake ALL my tests to get CDL, have NOT allowed that to lapse since. Hazmat, Tank, Multiple Trailers endorsements. Been utilizing them ALL but tank/HM of recent note, and that is STILL a potential at current position.

terex herder

Read up Paul on the Regs, it is NOT licensed or Registration weight, it is the door tag GVWR for CDL Requirement

They have changed that. It is the greater of either the door tag or the ACTUAL WEIGHT. No more dodging the cdl requirements by overloading a non-cdl vehicle.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
They have changed that. It is the greater of either the door tag or the ACTUAL WEIGHT. No more dodging the cdl requirements by overloading a non-cdl vehicle.

I think that's been the way all along according to the Fed's but I might be wrong. If the truck is rated at 25,999 GVW and you are 26,001 on the road, the man has the authority to shut you down.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
It has started expanding where if overloaded against gvwr rating will shut it down as unsafe use in MO, have heard other states headed that way and that became reasoning the big 3 have increased gvwr tag numbers on heavy one tons. Ends the skaters, they either go full CDL and all the rules or get hung out to dry on undersized vehicle tickets.