• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

I have 5 how many ya'll have

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
Parts? I can't even get a whole new vehicle. A couple months ago I commissioned the build of a new Quigley 4 wheel drive van. Delivery was to be July 15th. The van got to Quigley for the mods I had specified and it is still setting there. According to the selling dealership in yet another conversation this morning, the factory put a bunch of glass in these vans that does not meet the Federal safety standards. They having been fighting over this for a month and GMC played the "duh" card. Finally last Friday a safety recall was forced by the Feds and now my van is supposed to go back for glass that does not currently exist. Meanwhile Quigley can not complete the conversion as they become the builder of record much like a RV company. So, a fair chunk of my money sets there in their hands and my van is probably not going to be here in time for the Alaska excursion we have planned. I can't imagine how it would be for someone who's livelihood depends on it.

mikebramel

Was told by my hose supplier couldn't even get the hose end, its no longer made......by anyone, a metric 90, so we'll go with an adapter, they still make those, convert it to JIC ends, no problem, ordered it and I'd have it in three days, well two weeks later it still wasn't here, so some phone calls later, shipping screwed up, nothing new, so a week later still it showed up..........wrong part, so another phone call later and I was told, after having to ask three times, it will be 16 weeks before I'd see it and oh yea we made a mistake, the price is four times what we quoted and has to paid up front??

Are you trying to get hose ends for a Poclain

twr

I just went thru a deal with JCB on bucket pins they sent 3 different pins all with the right part number all wrong after about 4 days and a $hit load of freight [there dime] they nailed it, there like Volvo the depo is in Chicago.

AzIron

All I know is if I had a brand new machine that wouldn't run because of parts that was the size of a 385 and cost I would be at the house of the dealer manager at 4 in the morning making him very unhappy or I wouldn't own that machine no more it's that simple I almost got sideways with deere on a backhoe hydralic pump that they replaced under warranty.

Cat has a lot of issues with no parts for new machines at one point there were 4 machines sitting at the dealer waiting on parts for the same exhaust manifold and that was just rental machines know of 2 owner operators that had the same problem held them up a month but one of them got there pound of flesh his salesmen is still terrified when that guy calls.

dieseldog5.9

How about simple parts unavailable, 2010 ram 2500 rear axle brake dust shield, holds the ebrake shoes. 4 aftermarket sources unavailable, called dorman tech line they don't manufacture one.

Dealer part has caliper bracket and shoes and hardware all attached. Back ordered for 3 weeks, the girlfriends camping trip is 1 week.

Finding one on shelf of dealer 2 states away $300, saving camping trip.....priceless.

barrelroll

Occupation
Mill Mechanic
Work has started having Cat do "factory rebuilds" on equipment instead of buying new. No clue how they find the parts so quick to turn them around but the rebuilds only take a couple months.

It's no uncommon for stuff to sit for 6+ months waiting on something dumb that we've replaced 5 times in the last 5 years.

Try working for a major corporation and it's even worse when you have corporate people deciding which parts to stock. $25k control module for a machine that the company doesn't own any more, yeah we'll keep that. Filters for a machine we have 6 of, that will be 2 weeks while it goes through corporate purchasing. You have someone 12 hours away who has 0 clue about equipment telling us what to throw out and what to keep. Let alone being the only underground property in North America with a completely different set of rolling stock than their 6 surface mines. Luckily the warehouse guy will call the shop on parts throw out day and let them go through his dumpster.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Work has started having Cat do "factory rebuilds" on equipment instead of buying new. No clue how they find the parts so quick to turn them around but the rebuilds only take a couple months.
Machines scheduled for a Cat Certified Rebuild are usually planned at least 9-12 months in advance. Cost is typically about 2/3 of a new machine. With that much advance notice parts availability usually isn't a problem however obscure the part in question is. The "standard" parts kit for the rebuild is set by Cat, the dealer has no say whether items will be replaced based on condition - they just get replaced, end of...…. Fair enough I suppose, when the factory is giving new machine warranty on the rebuild.

Georgia Iron

Occupation
Concrete building slab and grading contractor
My new skid steer has went down with 120 hours on it. Def fluid quality the warning says. Drained the def tank replaced the fluid drove 1 hour to dealer to have computer reset so it would run based on dealers suggestion. Got it back to work. 1 hour later same problem. It decels the engine when it happens and no power. They say it is a def sensor in the tank and they will order one and that they are 2 weeks out on repairs.

Weeks and many phone calls go buy. Sensor has not come in yet. Can you call and overnight one in? No they are back ordered. I cant use this machine.... I am bringing it in. "oh you mean its down" ??? No shi!.

Case/new holland/ john deere/ etc all use the same part and it is being rationed out as the factory made a bad batch. We will take one off a new machine if we need to. It has cost me three trips more than likely 1.5 works days lost to driving. And at least 300 in fuel. A tank of def and no a vote of no confidence on the robustness of the high dollar machine. At this point I do not ever want to buy a new one again. I hate the emissions BS and I hate the fact that a computer is needed to work on it.

Last edited:

twr

I ordered a top, middle, and roll around Kennedy tool box for my machine tools. I received top and center, Ups lost my roll around, got the second one look like they loaded it with a grapple bucket, got third they shipped it under D6, the forth one was perfect. Went to put it together the center[they recommended] was 2" wider than the rest of it oh well gave me something to bitch about for a month.

Randy88

Mike I lost track of this thread, no its a Komatsu metric fine thread. The hose fittings are no longer made in 90 degree's.

A lot of the older stuff, most know what's on them for fittings, but quite a bit of newer stuff, nobody has a clue what ends the companies used when they put them together new, for some reason, they don't state for parts what fitting ends are on machines anymore, so if your lucky enough to be the first to blow that hose, you have to first take it off, then take it in and since nobody stocks parts anymore, you then have to try to match up ends, so someone can make a hose for you to go back and put that made up hose on your new machine, while the right hose is being ordered. Around here anymore that's pretty much standard procedure, the days of calling parts and asking, what hose size, length and ends are on such and such hose are long gone, now your told, we don't know, you'll have to bring it in and we'll try to figure out from there.

JCB, I'm not sure how the factory assembles machines, no two machines have the same parts in them and nobody knows what parts you'll get when your order them, I think they send out whatever they have in stock at the time, you need a transmission gear for a backhoe, so the company must go ask someone, hey you remember what transmission we put in backhoes, which has to be followed by, don't think we ever put a transmission in a backhoe, just send them a cam gear for the engine instead. Pins and bushings, forget it, you might as well have them made locally, its physically impossible to ever get the correct one for any machine if you ordered them.

Vetech63

JCB, I'm not sure how the factory assembles machines, no two machines have the same parts in them and nobody knows what parts you'll get when your order them, I think they send out whatever they have in stock at the time, you need a transmission gear for a backhoe, so the company must go ask someone, hey you remember what transmission we put in backhoes, which has to be followed by, don't think we ever put a transmission in a backhoe, just send them a cam gear for the engine instead. Pins and bushings, forget it, you might as well have them made locally, its physically impossible to ever get the correct one for any machine if you ordered them.
LOL....this struck me as funny. Pettibone does this exactly. That is why the parts book that comes with the machine is so important. You could buy 2 of the same model machine with consecutive serial #'s, and they might have completely different cylinder designs between to 2 of them. It is super frustrating to buy parts for them as the parts manuals are not accurate most times.

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
LOL....this struck me as funny. Pettibone does this exactly. That is why the parts book that comes with the machine is so important. You could buy 2 of the same model machine with consecutive serial #'s, and they might have completely different cylinder designs between to 2 of them. It is super frustrating to buy parts for them as the parts manuals are not accurate most times.

Pettibone prints only one part book for each machine that goes in the machine. The factory has a electronic copy for every machine which is available for a fee. Most machine has some different parts as you stated. When I got a new electronic book for my old Super 6-33 it was full of information like whom the original owner was, where it was delivered to, etc. Maybe worthless info, but kind of cool to read 50 years after it was manufactured.

Vetech63

When I got a new electronic book for my old Super 6-33 it was full of information like whom the original owner was, where it was delivered to, etc.
True! They used to incorporate the machine log records years ago. They show everything you can think of...……...the original buyer, all the recorded serial numbers for each component, part numbers for the components, etc....
Those are still available, they just don't include that information in the parts manuals any longer.