• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

I gotta know what gives?

Welder Dave

Here's another perplexing question...

Why is cheesecake called cheesecake and not cheesepie when it's clearly more of a pie than a cake? Cake doesn't have a &^%$#@! crust! :rolleyes:

Welder Dave

What's the deal with feet?
For most multiple body parts going from the singular to plural form just involves adding and an s on the end. Finger-fingers, toe-toes, arm-arms ,leg-legs, eye-eyes, ear-ears, lung-lungs, ball- well you get the idea. It's very common with other words as well. Yet foot somehow becomes feet. Why aren't they called foots? How do the two o's suddenly become two e's and no s on the end? I'm sure many people have had sleepless nights over this. There are exceptions though such as when you go for supper may wonder who foots the bill. Why isn't it, who feet the bill? It doesn't work with other double o words though. More than one fool becomes fools and is foolish. Why isn't it feel, because that word was already used? Is it so no one can become footish? Feelish would make you sound like a creep but it should be croop. Creep would indicate you have other croops with you. If you buy one wrench it's a tool but buy more than one and they are tools. Why not teel? It was already used too? Did they jump the gun on handing out words? What if a fool only had one tool? Would that be called toolish. It would great if someone asked to borrow a tool you don't have. You could say you're toolish. Would you really want to lend out your tool anyway? What would you call a fool who is feelish with their tool, Footoofeelish? That doesn't sound so bad. You can have an obsession with feet but it's called a foot fetish. Why isn't it called just a feetish? Is foot fetish a compromise because they never considered this a possibility? How could they not with the whole foot/feet conundrum? How come James Bond is a double O agent and not a double zero agent? How do two zero's become two O's? It goes against everything proper especially considering he's British. I need me some chicken pot cheesepie!

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
What's the deal with feet?
<snip excess words>
How come James Bond is a double O agent and not a double zero agent? How do two zero's become two O's? It goes against everything proper especially considering he's British. I need me some chicken pot cheesepie!

Where is Nige when you need him? I mean he calls the country that came up with this language home at least part of the year!

Blocker in MS

Dam ! I'm wrong again. I thought everyone was on pot from the opening post.
Where is Blocker MS ?

I have been watching this little flower bloom all by itself.

I have been caught up estimating some things. Real numbers with real meanings....I prefer abstract values....let the less gifted deal in reality! Hey, that is what Einstein did, no? We true thinkers here be not bound by the restrictions of mere reality!

wornout wrench

Now see, if you guys went to the metric system you wouldn't have feet anymore.

And can I have some pork salsa with the chicken pot cheesepie