• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

I got a quote today for a crane hire

skyking1

It used to be, the structure companies would deliver to a shored excavation. I have done many large grease interceptors that I could never handle with the excavator that way.
Today they quoted us a 2000 gallon 23,000 pound base and 11000 pound lid that they will deliver OK, just not to the excavation.
I toyed with the idea of renting a Cat 349 excavator and setting it myself, but the crane rental was less than half the cost. The whole crane rental was about the cost of the lowboy mobilization for the Cat 349.

Natman

I just set a 19,500 lb. concrete storm water catch basin for an outfit that had several large excavators on the job site. I didn't ask why they didn't use one of them, I assume they thought of it, must have been out of their capacity. I don't know the model numbers of their X's, but it was only 16' from my center of rotation.

skyking1

The problem is the stack of structure height plus truck bed plus rigging, the higher you go the worse an excavator capacity gets. I could get creative and probably get that with a 400 if I built a bench out of the dirt from the excavation. Then you have to set it down and walk down, get up on it again.

skyking1

Job went well today. I have no crane or structure pictures as I was the rigger, signalman, lift director, chief cook and bottle washer. Crane was late, which was fine because *plumbers*. They diddled around with a string line etc.
The structure details had picking points inside, which I counted on having. Oh no, not so much. We got the clutches off the outside barely, I had a really tight box.
They sent out a brand new 2020 Manitex TC60131
https://cranemarket.com/new-2020-manitex-60-ton-tc60131-boom-truck-crane-for-sale-id12526

It went from this:
PXL-20201216-161343936-MP.jpg

To this:
PXL_20201216_224827497.jpg

I brought some plywood from home to cover the holes and set castings and grade rings on there to discourage uncovering them :)
We'll get to hook up to it in about a month.