1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

I dig best vs trimble earthworks 2d

Discussion in 'Lasers' started by Tim Modine, Nov 14, 2020.

1. Tim Modine

Tim Modine Well-Known Member

That stinks. Those are my concerns with a smaller company putting these things out there. The main reason I went with Trimble. I can call my regional dealer and speak with someone 7 days a week during normal business hours. Hope you get it figured out

2. steve waldner

steve waldner Well-Known Member

This is not what I like to hear .

3. dieseldog5.9

dieseldog5.9 Senior Member

Sounds like there is also another system called I Dig, sold by New England lazer? Trimble is from the Cat Dealer, If I am Getting this correct Chris Milton of Milton Cat is owner of Trimble.

4. Tim Modine

It’s a great tool to have in the tool box. Work smarter not harder. It’s worth every cent!

5. IDIGBEST

IDIGBEST Active Member

excavator
    I went there two weeks ago. I got Bud working perfect and he said he forgot to put a remark on the form or take down what he had said. He's very extremely happy with the system I made a mistake on the anger I'd have to say. Something was broken save the mother replace that it runs like a champ. And he absolutely loves it.

6. fourwheel1

fourwheel1 Member

excavating & farming
    Update...we got the system up and running properly couple weeks ago, Phil came in with a whole new system to install if thats what it would take. Found it to be a bad monitor, installed new one and he spent couple hours fine tuning and showed us how to run system. Works like it should and have dug several basements without grade checker.

Tim Modine and steve waldner like this.
  7. steve waldner

Ok , this Idigbest system , I must say is very cool. Very accurate . But best of all Phil , he picks up the phone every time and is very help full , every error so far has been me. The system is not complicated to install . Unless u install like I did, witch is next level , I made my own laser cover , led strip, integrated my wires ,etc . Cool part is u set up a laser , find it with boom , then touch of on your spot , and your dead on , all u need to do is raise boom ,it finds the beam ,and it’s zeroed again. The auto steer dig is fast and easy (to me) the program is very easy to understand and navigate , the diagnostics are nice and easy . After I upgrade to his gps later this year , then it will be amazing . I recommend this , I’ve dug with all , even the newest Topcon , this is way faster , sensors are instant . And the wireless systems , please , they don’t even make this discussion , verrrrry slow and always dead . Check out Idigbest . Even if I don’t use auto mode it’s awesome , if on a tight budget ,install the indicate sys , (2-4hrs) then later add the hydraulic valves for auto mode (2-4hrs) then gps (Havnt installed yet) .

8. steve waldner

829BB65F-3EBF-4B68-A376-155E51AF6C0D.jpeg 601658C2-3F8E-4E9F-AED2-2F4300815554.jpeg 1273A45E-4B9C-4D2E-B561-E4FAC3620A82.jpeg EF950BB3-DB85-45D9-B191-44C1C01179D1.jpeg Just how I did it my way , the mounts that come with are nice , I just wanted it better

9. steve waldner

10. DGODGR

DGODGR Senior Member

This statement was made last year. Based on your posts I would think that you have already installed it. Are you going to post pictures? It would add value to the thread/conversation. I (and I'm sure others) would like to hear about your experience with the Trimble system...How it is working for you (review of performance), have you had any issues with install (or other), has it required any service calls yet, etc. I know you posted a brief initial experience but the devil is in the details (especially with electronics). Please tell us your experience thus far (maybe with more detail) and report back as your experience grows.

I guess it's good to set ones boundaries but I see no need to shut him down like this. This is a public forum...a discussion (if you will) that brings value to many. Not just the OP. Regardless of whether, or not, you purchased IDIGBEST adds value to the discussion by posting about how his system compares to Trimble (or any other for that matter). These systems seem like they can be fantastic tools if they work as promised. I, for one, have been in this business long enough to have heard plenty of promises for products that leave a lot to be desired once actually put to work. These things are not cheap so hearing about them from actual users, and also hearing from MFRs brings value to me. It is especially valuable if we get to hear from end users and MFRs talk about the products in the same conversation (like that which happened later in the thread between IDIGBEST and fourwheel1).

Glad to hear that you got his system up and running. Tim Modine hit the nail on the head when he talked about wanting support. Especially for an electronic grade control (or indicate) system in a construction application. Even more so if you change your business model to eliminate grade checkers and then the system stops working on you. Can you please tell us why it took (3) months to get fourwheel1's systems working?
    I don't think I understand your comment about the "anger". Can you please elaborate on that?

Can you provide us anything further?
    Why did it take (3) months to get he system working?
    I know that it's only been a couple weeks but (based on your experiences) would you recommend this product to friends/others?
    Would you buy again?
    Will you please report back to this thread and provide updates?

Why did you install your own laser cover, LED strip, etc.?
    What "diagnostics" are you referring to? The units ability to trouble shoot itself?
    If so, are you having trouble with the product that is requiring diagnostics?
    What type/s of work are you performing?
    Your photos show some valving installed (it looks like in the pilot control system of your excavator). Is this all that is required for the auto mode?
    You have used the terms "auto mode" and "auto steer" in your posts. Is this a feature in which the machine takes over to not allow the operator to go below the intended depth?

Tags likes this.
  11. IDIGBEST

IDIGBEST Active Member

excavator
    ok let me try to answer all questions to get this all straight;
    normally 28% or idigbest buyers install and i never meet them. last year with covid 95% became self instals. This became a different challenge and it tuff when all your clients have deferent abilities. Bud started in feb. he had a harder timer then most. and maybe a little bet more of a short fuse. that fine i have a lot of patience with people. and he is a good guy!! i talk with guys 7 days a week 20+ hr a day I'm sure i had 6+ installs goin in feb and programing new gps system and hyd controls everyday. i have a problem client about every 20 customers. that means they take a lot of extra time and that is just fine with me. Bud got his system going in feb and he had trouble with laser catching. As i alway say the error is alway inputs not the system and its alway true 99% of the time. Bud cut a bucket wire and was pretty upset. i told him that he needed to order another one and it mite fix his laser catching problem. after that in march he started having a weird I/O error. I try not to travel out to my clients to save time money but bud was one that needed help so we talked about mid march he was going to call me that next week to set a day that week. we he did not call and my dad died! and i really need a few week to help mom and put dad to rest. then next ting i hear in the middle of all this way bud wrote something very bad on this forum page. i told home my dad died and came to hime the following week. sorry guys i can't be superman every day. so i traveled to Ohio and saw three new installes and when i got to bud i messed with his system and something was very weird! I grabbed an extra monitor and when bud handed me his we heard a sound like something was loses inside. we put in a new monitor and everything was perfect! i trained him and he was good to go. All my equipment is built to military spec. and i guess one bad monitor out of a 1000 is ok. I was shocked it was broken and i told bud it doesn't mater it under warranty so no worries!
    my systems have incredibly self diagnose abilities like what wire you cut! with a picture showing the user. when there is a problem i can remotely talk to you and have the customer go to a diagnostics page and we can see if they have a hyd. problem or a calibration problem or setting problem. I can usually find the problem in minutes. 99% present of all problems are the user accidentally changed a setting and we find it in minutes.

steve waldner likes this.
  12. IDIGBEST

IDIGBEST Active Member

excavator
    Bub would you please share more of how well your system is working.

13. IDIGBEST

IDIGBEST Active Member

excavator
    I have to say steve is one of the best self install guys. he love to install the system his way. very neat and clean. the laser guard look awesome. this is good for other guys to see. the laser catcher has boults to remove it. this make it easer and more protected. the red and blue pilot valves look great nice and clean (red is bucket controler and blue is boom and stick controllers) the silver valve is a Hi-presser 7000 psi proportional main boom slip grade controler. Cheers steve and thanks for your nice self install work!

steve waldner likes this.
  14. Tim Modine

Ive had zero issues running the system, easy to learn, installation is holding up just fine with no components coming loose. No service calls yet and hoping there won't be any unless i damage something. Like most of these systems its extremely accurate, technology is advancing rapidly. System will keep up as fast as i run it, i can't notice any lag time. Support from Trimble has been awesome thus far. I will get to the pictures but they aren't on my priority list, tis the season. days are long and nights are short lol. I mainly excavate for basements and drainage. Having to set material 17' deep with measuring accurately by yourself was a nuisance and now i don't think about it. For drainage with being that deep is simply done by touching bucket tooth on a reference point very near to excavation, entering my cut and I'm off and digging listening to and watching the monitor to be on grade the first time with no over excavating. It not only a time saver but an added safety measure as I no longer have to reach out / stand in bucket to check my depth. Not doing those things saves so much time on a day to day basis I can't put a price it. If anyone has any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.
    Glad to hear. Have fun with it

15. DGODGR

DGODGR Senior Member

IDIGBEST (is it Phil?), thanks for your reply. My Mom recently passed away and I'm sorry to hear about the passing of your Dad. I know that life has a way of happening to us at the most inopportune times. That being said it would seem that IDIGBEST is a relatively small company. This can have both advantages and disadvantages. Phil seems to be wearing most all of the hats which can easily lead to overwhelm. A larger company (like Trimble) most likely would not be as easily impacted by personal tragedy but also may struggle to provide personal attention such as having the owner show up at your place to trouble shoot a machine. I would think that most of us are reasonable (and don't expect you to be "Superman all of the time") but I would certainly want better support than it taking (3) months to get up and running. Based on your explanation some of the delay falls on the end user, and other issues were outside your control as well.
    Can the IDIGBEST system recognize multiple attachments on an excavator? In particular, I have a large breaker and would like to know if I am breaking to the intended grade without having to switch back to the bucket to muck out...only to find out that I have to hammer out an additional 6" or a foot.
    If it does recognize multiple attachments does it store them in memory requiring only the selection of the attachment on a monitor, or does one have to set up each attachment each time it is changed out?
    It would be good to hear back from fourwheel1 and Steve. I can see that Steve has liked your posts but has not yet replied to the questions I directed at him.
    Here they are again Steve. If you have a minute maybe you could respond to them.
    Why did you install your own laser cover, LED strip, etc.?
    What "diagnostics" are you referring to? The units ability to trouble shoot itself?
    If so, are you having trouble with the product that is requiring diagnostics?
    What type/s of work are you performing?
    Your photos show some valving installed (it looks like in the pilot control system of your excavator). Is this all that is required for the auto mode?
    You have used the terms "auto mode" and "auto steer" in your posts. Is this a feature in which the machine takes over to not allow the operator to go below the intended depth?
    As it relates to Steve's pictures that show his pilot valving modifications, it would appear to me that the installation was not yet completed when the pics were taken. Those shiny silver posts (with the nuts on top) look to be engineered to receive some solenoids in order to activate the valves.

Tim, Thank you for offering a reply as well. I'm glad to hear that you have not had any issues thus far. If you do it would be nice to hear how your local Trimble dealer responds. Is the dealer your local Cat dealer or is it specifically a Trimble dealer?
    Based on your description of what you are doing I can see how beneficial a grade control (or in your case indicate) system would be. I'm glad that it's been a worthwhile investment for you.

16. skyking1

skyking1 Senior Member

Steve thanks for the great pictures. That was some nice install work.

17. Tim Modine

My local Trimble dealer is Scitech Metro Northeast out of Pennsylvania.

18. Tim Modine

A few pics

Attached Files:

skyking1 likes this.
  19. Tim Modine

A couple more

Attached Files:

skyking1 likes this.
  20. Tim Modine

Pic 1 bucket sensor, #2 laser catcher and stick sensor, #3Boom sensor, #4 body gyro / sensor, #5 display mount, #6/7 display

skyking1 likes this.