1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

I dig best vs trimble earthworks 2d

Discussion in 'Lasers' started by Tim Modine, Nov 14, 2020.

1. skyking1

skyking1 Senior Member

@Tags I think you have made it clear for me. I made a pendulum level indicator years ago for an operation, and I will make another and mount it and the target like yours on the stick. I can get the stick straight and roll the bucket till it sits flat, and get a good ditch grade. I dig 1% and 2% all day long.
    I'll still have a rod and shovel man, but he will be grading the bedding behind me. I dig 2" low for bedding.

2. Tim Modine

Tim Modine Active Member

Going with the Trimble earthworks 2D for an excavator. Once installed will post pics from that and give an installation description.

skyking1 likes this.
  3. skyking1

skyking1 Senior Member

I ordered the cr600 and magnet mount yesterday, and will get to fabbing my plumb indicator. I think I will put it on a mag base.

Tags likes this.
  4. Simon C

Simon C Well-Known Member

Heavy Equipment Mechanic
    Where do you buy this Zip Level. What brand and model. Your help would be appreciated. Thanks Simon

5. steve waldner

steve waldner Well-Known Member

How much is that cost ?

6. PeterG

PeterG Well-Known Member

Landscape Construction, General Contractor
    Simon,

The product is called Zip Level. Their web site is www.ziplevel.com

You can buy it from Northern Tool and on Amazon. It's a fantastic tool to check different heights. As there is no laser, you cannot use it to get a laser line. About $899.00 US Dollar.

It's a lightweight plastic box with a long cord. You put the box down on the ground and pull enough cord out. At the end of the cord is a digital readout. You can take a reading at one location "benchmark" and then walk over to your other location to check the difference. The digital readout is in a protective covering. Works on batteries that seem to last a long time. I did have to send it back after about five years of use for recalibration, which did not cost much, and was pretty fast. Here in Seattle, WA it does fine, although I would not leave it out in the rain

I think it's a fantastic tool. We do a lot of retainer walls, and custom hardscape, and drainage sloping, the tool works great. Perfect for small excavation projects, setting forms, layout, etc.

On a different subject, I recently pulled out an old tool that was something I was thinking about posting on the Forum. I was having trouble having enough leverage on some small hand wrenches. I remembered that I had saved a tool from a long time ago that seemed to save the day.

This is a bicycle tool originally designed to straighten steel frames. The manufacturer is Park Tools. The tool model number is FFS-2,
    frame and fork straightener about $90.00 US. It's a big heavy long steel tool to get a lot of leverage. Adjust really well to grip the tool handle in the right location. Easily grips an open end wrench etc.
    Works better than a pipe sometimes. www.parktool.com. Available on Amazon.

7. skyking1

skyking1 Senior Member

It works like the old school water level, from the sounds of it.

8. PeterG

PeterG Well-Known Member

No, it's an altimeter.

9. PeterG

PeterG Well-Known Member

ZIPLEVEL® is a high precision pressurized hydrostatic altimeter. It works much like an aircraft altimeter that measures the weight of the air above it except that ZIPLEVEL does not use the atmosphere to measure elevation. Instead, ZIPLEVEL is a pressurized system that measures the weight of a proprietary liquid sealed within its Cord relative to a Reference Cell in the hub of its reel. This makes ZIPLEVEL 10,000 times as precise as an aircraft altimeter and immune from both barometric pressure and altitude changes. Its internal pressure prevents bubbles from desorbing from its liquid when under vacuum when the Measurement Module is above the Reference Cell during storage, stepping on or kinking the Cord. ZIPLEVEL® is the World's only bubble free hydrostatic altimeter. An additional benefit of ZIPLEVEL's sealed, pressurized system is immunity from wind or HVAC induced errors caused by pressure differences between the Reference Cell and Measurement Module.

ZIPLEVEL® will measure over a 200' (60m) circle and 40' (12m) vertically on one setup with 0.050 internal precision. Its revolutionary High Precision functions will measure over 4' (121.9cm) vertically with paper thin 0.005 (0.1mm) internal precision. ZIPLEVEL has 16 powerful built-in functions and a PC Serial port. The job site rugged ZIPLEVEL will operate from -22F (-30C) to 158F ( 70C) for up to a year of daily use on a single 9V battery.

ZIPLEVEL® is the World's only bubble free altimeter pressurized to prevent continual error inducing bubble formation during storage, stepping on or kinking the Cord. View this Bubble Video to see the dramatic consequence of using a historic, unpressurized, clear tube altimeter.

REGISTERRECOVER PASSWORDLOGIN

10. PeterG

PeterG Well-Known Member

11. skyking1

skyking1 Senior Member

that is exactly like a water level. We used them to set manufactured housing for years. It is functionally the same, but a whole lot more handy in the application. with the water level you would have 200' of 1/4" clear tubing to wrestle around, and a 5 gallon bucket of antifreeze solution. You burp all the bubbles out of the tube if there are any, with an air nozzle fitting on the working end. Set the bucket up on blocks and wedges till the fluid is where you want to reference, then crawl through under the trailer with your hand off the air nozzle trigger. Get to the pier you want to set wedges on, hold it up and pull the trigger. The fluid will equalize to the tank level and there you go. Works around corners through doors up down over.
    This thing is a sophisticated replica in every sense.

12. PeterG

PeterG Well-Known Member

Well it does sound sort of like a water level when i read the description below, but here is what their web site says. In any event the tool works well for me. I like seeing the height difference in exact inches out to the decimal.

Q: Does ZIPLEVEL work like a water level?

A: No. Actually a rotary laser works more like a water level...they both only establish a level reference plane requiring additional measurements and math to read elevations. ZIPLEVEL is a precision pressurized hydrostatic altimeter that levels and reads elevations by measuring the pressure developed by gravity acting on the net height of liquid between the MM and the BU. A water level is a hydrostatic level that establishes a level reference plane only much like a rotary laser. Water level liquid must be at the same elevation as the liquid used for leveling requiring a calibrated rod and math to determine elevation differences. Water levels are not sealed or pressurized and are subject to bubble formation, liquid evaporation, spillage and freezing. The liquid in a water level moves within a tube yet the special ZIPLEVEL liquid is sealed within and does not move in its Cord and is pressurized with a special gas to prevent bubble formation.

13. skyking1

skyking1 Senior Member

I'm not knocking the product. It is probably now the standard under manufactured homes now. Where the above description utterly fails is comparing it to a laser. Lasers don't work around corners or through walls, and both of these things do.

14. IDIGBEST

IDIGBEST Member

excavator
    I'm just gonna say. Any system besides the method of a Trimble or Idigbest system is very barbaric. Idigbest will give you grade within 1 hundredth of a foot in 100th of a second. There's no walls in the way no atmospheric pressure problems. Can you never have to get out of the cab for your machine to be accurate with him an instant. Time is money in the cost of labor is money. There's nothing that compares to the excavator systems when it comes to measuring elevation and distance slope and fall. Getting the system comes with free updates free help seven days a week. It was upgraded constantly. Idigbest new GPS just coming out soon it will be approximately a $10,000 extra. It uses 32 satellites. In an iPhone to talk to the base. Set up time is 30 seconds accuracy is plus or minus a cm. And again will make your life so easy and fun when it comes to jobsites laying out no labor and horrible shitty weather. Idigbest system is so accurate when the machine is rocking you still get perfect grade in perfect machine control hydraulic assist. Your laser can be behind a pile of dirt. you can reach out with your laser receiver on the boom and catch it and you're back on grade again.

steve waldner likes this.
  15. Tim Modine

Tim Modine Active Member

For the 2D earthworks for my machine was $16k.installed. Since my excavator is on the older side (2005) i needed a different mounting kit which was an extra. I don't have the automatics but all the parts i need for that was included in my kit, and I'm fully upgradeable for 3D also as well as being able to add the scale to weigh materials.

16. IDIGBEST

IDIGBEST Member

excavator
    Idigbest system with nine axis Gyro control which is much more than what you have with the Trimble system we actually are 3-D because we can measure sideways with the rotation of the cab. The cost is $15,500. Help support seven days a week 20 hours per day. Help apps and anything you need will be provided instantly by Idigbest.com Per person talking to you on the phone. We handle tip bucket's tilt rotators cab rotation boom stop and we have x-ray vision. No comparison and the two systems. If you'd like more information call PHIL at 317-210-0220. 7 day a week
    Cheers guys

17. Tim Modine

Tim Modine Active Member

Since you know I bought. I’m not interested in your product. Thank you for the information in advance. Good luck with you’re product

18. jesica1122

jesica1122 New Member

Hello Tim jesica here