1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

I dig best vs trimble earthworks 2d

Discussion in 'Lasers' started by Tim Modine, Nov 14, 2020.

1. Tim Modine

Tim Modine Active Member

Is there anyone on here that can compare these two systems, I Dig Best & Trimble Earthworks 2D. Thinking of purchasing one for my excavator. I don't do big site stuff so i wouldn't need GPs as i mainly do spot lot new residential excavation for foundations and drainage. My main curiosity is sitting in one place excavating down to depths 16' to as much as 25' with benching machine down when necessary to reach beyond machine capabilities from grade. Im a small company with only me excavating and grad checking and looking to stay in machine more than up and down all day checking grade.
    Thanks for any responses and everyone stay safe
    Tim Modine
    Modine Excavating

2. Tim Modine

Tim Modine Active Member

probably wrong forum lol

3. Tim Modine

Tim Modine Active Member

can anyone compare the newest i dig best system with the trimble earthworks 2d. i do mainly foundation and drainage excavation. not necessary to have gps but would like option to upgrade top.small operation, its just me and the excavator. looking to make it easier to dig to grade without leaving cab.
    thanks
    Tim Modine
    Modine Excavating

Last edited: Nov 14, 2020
  4. digger242j

digger242j Administrator

Self employed excavator

Better?

ETA: I moved the original thread here, then I was just going to delete the above post, but then you edited it to add your question, so I've just merged the two threads.

5. Tim Modine

Tim Modine Active Member

Thank You!

6. Tags

Tags Senior Member

Tim I can't answer you question about those systems, but I primarily work by myself and have had great luck with a magnetic laser receiver on the stick of the machine. It's not perfect but it gets you really, really close, the more you use it the better you get at it. Plus the cost is minimal compared to the systems you're looking at... just wanted to add my .02$

7. Tim Modine

Tim Modine Active Member

Thank you. Im leaning toward Trimble due to re sale and customer support reasons. There a large company and for $15k inst. isn't bad. Its a laborer that doesn't talk back and shows up everyday on time to work lol

8. farmerlund

farmerlund Senior Member

Farmer/ excavator
    Hey Tim, I hope you get some guys with experience with the systems. I use a laser with magnetic receiver at the time. but would also like to hear some real world comments.

9. IDIGBEST

IDIGBEST Member

excavator
    Hello Tim Phil here,
    Let me try to give you some help in what you looking for. If I may

I understand cost is a factor. Your cost you need to justify is labor, your loss of time and access. In the 1990's I had your problem with 10 digging crews. To make money I had to have the best crumbles (stick man with shovel) I worked on the Sustem you are using now with a laser. Junk. Frustrated the operators and profet went down and time to finish job took way to long. These are Basment and footer crews. The cost of being off a 1/4" was astronomical!!!

System in the early 2000 started coming out for Excavatior. With the ability to stay within an inch. . So labor got worse and the best we could do was to have a shoot stick guy. No shoveler anymore.

10. IDIGBEST

IDIGBEST Member

excavator
    Tim so after 2008 set in and work slowed way down and I was at about 20,000 dig jobs completed. I knew there wasn't going to be any labor when the economy came back. So problems I had to solve.
    Labor-less crews
    So the fetcher IDigBest Sys has,
    1. Instant speed for elevation
    2. Operator never has to leave cab.
    3. Laser not having line of site to machine
    4. Spin machine 360° On a hill and know grade anywhere within a 100th of a foot
    5. Hydrolic assist at full digging speed crumbing all lose dirt ready to pour concrete.
    6. If laser stops working to be able to finish job!
    7. Take stress of of experience operator
    8. New operator not digging wrong grades and better then the best operate
    9. Display sea-level (plan Elevation in real time)
    10. Ability to dig around utilize with out hiring them!
    11. Less digging cycles to finish grade at full machine speed
    12. Profiling jobs like tanks, ditches, truck docks, ponds. With system you touch with bucket and it will draw on screen and replicate over and over again
    13. Measuring more accurate than the tape measure especially on a hill
    14 memory's for job Elevations example enter all your trench elevations for a finger system the beginning of job.
    14. no grade stick needed machine becomes live stick with out laser being able to be seen
    15. Any slope
    I could go on forever. The point with all these tools IdigBest give you you can make higher profet and no stress!!!!!!

11. IDIGBEST

IDIGBEST Member

excavator
    I look forward to any questions. I'll just share what I no. With my experience. This system creates job for operator and solve labor and safety issues. Is amazing a $12 hr stick man make the operator that you are. With Idigbest you are your own operator and you are twice as accurate.

mks likes this.
  12. Shimmy1

Shimmy1 Senior Member

Where are you from?

13. weedel

weedel New Member

Tim have and Ocala Excavision system at work. It is a few years old and has some issues from time to time with the laser strikes, but is a great tool none the less. I have been a 2 day walk out basement dig. Second one this week. I can sit up top and bench to the laser or I can go down to the bottom and bench to the same laser. It does not matter where the machine is sitting as long as I can strike the laser with the receiver. I have not used the 2 systems you have asked about but have looked at them as a replacement to the system we have. The Idigbest looks to be pretty on top of things and would be the one I would go with. I can tell you it is unbelievable how much time and energy is saved with a grade system. We do 2 elevations for a basement main elevation bottom of footing second elevation subgrade for gravel under slab. I have the footing depth set for my main cut measurement and then a 7" layer up from that. I can then see depth to top of layer and then depth to footing grade with audible alarms. I also can just use the sensor alone with touch and go. I usually do that at the end when I cut out the drains. For instance I place the bucket on the footing grade and zero out the system, then set a 4" cut depth with in the case this evening a 1.3% slope as that is all I had for fall. The biggest advice I can give you is 2 things. You can not get enough information in the cab of your machine especially while working alone. The second is get a good fiberglass tripod that can be raised, the extra height can be a pain, but when you start piling up dirt you will like it. I hope this helps and let me know what you go with and how you like it.

14. PeterG

PeterG Well-Known Member

Landscape Construction, General Contractor
    Tim, I'm a small excavating contractor that does residential work. We gave up on the tripod and laser level as I don't always have another person with me, and found that the in cab versions are still too expensive for me. Might be worth it though if we did foundations everyday, but we don't. We now just use a Zip Level. We dig fast down to where we think is close. Then take a reading. The Zip level reads out in digital inches and seems very accurate. Then excavate slowly down (last few inches) to the proper depth from the benchmark. Once that depth is good we follow that grade. The Zipp level cost less than $1000 and is a quick one man tool.