• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

I bought this railway crane for scrap metal

Wes J

They still use cranes like this on the dams on the Mississippi to clear log jams and other maintenance. They almost all have rail on top of them.

kenh

I dunno, just remember reading that many years ago.
I far as I know it could have any number of lobs between 2 and 17!

td25c

I don't think the inline 71 series engines ever had a 2 lobe blower, 53's yes, but I have never seen a 71 with a 2 lobe and never seen it mentioned in some of my really old service manuals ('72 vintage) and those cover old low block engines with a one piece head gasket.

3 lobe helical rotors all the way Bro ! :D

100_4241.JPG

crane operator

I doubt that any of it is a concrete counterweight. I can't think of any cranes that use a concrete counterweight. Everything I've ever been around has been a casting, or a steel box filled with steel. Concrete would eat up a steel box over time.

I take that all back, I have seen concrete counterweights as a stackable group on a portable tower crane, and some tail swing towers use cast concrete sections as their tail weights. But I doubt that your railroad crane has any concrete in it.

Concrete only weighs 150lbs per cubic ft. Steel is 490lbs per cubic ft. More weight in less room.

td25c

Anyone know, do you think that it is full of concrete overall or just in the top cab counterweight?

Can tell pretty quick on a counterweight buy tapping on it with a hammer .

Should be a distinct even sound all over a cast iron weight .

No change in tone so to speak . If the music tone changes it's filled with something other than steel .

Welded construction counterweight's are more than likely filled .

mowingman

Occupation
Retired
Why don't you just call AOL Crane on Monday. Give them the S/N and they can tell you for sure.

Welder Dave

I worked at a shop that made a couple counterweights for a big crane. I had the delightful job of cutting 6" drill stem with about a 2" wall thickness into length's to fit inside the steel box. I think they put sand in to fill all the space around the drill stem. I had to do it outside and it was about 95F. I was wearing a leather jacket and heavy overalls. I probably lost 10lbs cutting that drill stem. I think the counterweights were about 15 tons each.

Bumpsteer

Occupation
Mechanical designer
Went past a big scrapyard in Bay City about 12 years ago, could see 4-5 old crane booms above the fence.

On the return trip, one was moving, rather quickly across the yard.

Stopped at an open gate to look, every one was a railroad crane. Still earning their keep
Ed

td25c

Went past a big scrapyard in Bay City about 12 years ago, could see 4-5 old crane booms above the fence.

On the return trip, one was moving, rather quickly across the yard.

Stopped at an open gate to look, every one was a railroad crane. Still earning their keep
Ed

We got one rig like that . :)

He still thinks it's 1956 . LOL :D

Spud_Monkey

Occupation
Decommissioned
Wellman 40, wow didn't know they had machinery with my last name, how cool it that. Guess I was meant for this sht.

Tones

Occupation
Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired
Wellman 40, wow didn't know they had machinery with my last name, how cool it that. Guess I was meant for this sht.
So Spud your last name is 40?????????????????????????????? :)