• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

I am meeting with OSHA. It is a free service. What questions should I ask?

esarratt

Occupation
Septic Installer
I am meeting with OSHA to help me develop the safety plan for my company. It is a free service.

I am a septic installer and a utility contractor. I also plan is to add in timber framing in the future.

What questions should I ask OSHA? The OSHA official has already provided me with sample policy and procedures to use.

I figure this is a really good professional relationship to develop.

Background:

Employees like a safe environment in which to work and I don't want anybody who works for me to get hurt. I don't mind spending the time and money to make that happen.

My insurance company likes written, formal health and safety plans. There are some insurance reductions for having this.

Legally, when my business moves grows, I have to have a written health and safety plan anyway.

Thank you for your input!

ChuckRock

This is a great opportunity and very commendable that you are taking this initiative.

Even though I expect you have a good idea of the answers - off the top of my head I would ask;

What are the most time loss injuries in the last 18 months?

What are the most common infractions cited by an audit / suggestions to stay in compliance?

What is the most over looked safety consideration on the day to day task?

Do you anticipate any OSHA related changes to the way the business would operate in the next 60 months?

These questions are easy low hanging fruit but definitely start some conversations.

Hope it goes well!

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
What kind of safety policy and safety culture do you have in your company now? Do you already have a written safety policy, SDS manual/haz comm, employee training, etc?

esarratt

Occupation
Septic Installer
Thank you ChuckRock.

Honestly I have no idea of the answers to those questions. I am new to construction.

I got my septic installers credential to do my own home and then started a septic installation business because I saw the financial opportunity. I then picked up my GC utility license last year because it was similar to septic work (water and sewer).

I don't have the experience of years in the industry and I know I don't recognize safety hazards like experienced contractors would.

I am trying to get all the information I can.

esarratt

Occupation
Septic Installer
What kind of safety policy and safety culture do you have in your company now? Do you already have a written safety policy, SDS manual/haz comm, employee training, etc?

I have nothing. My septic (6 yr) and utility contracting (1 yr) business are small and currently just me. I work them part-time on the weekends. I still work M-F 40 hours per week for the State of North Carolina.

By trade I am a substance abuse counselor and worked for ten years as a community college teacher. As I mentioned in an earlier post. I got my septic credential to do my own home because I couldn't get a quote on a septic installation. I fell in love with construction work and have been taking trainings and getting licenses ever since.

I have taken industry trainings and am certified for septic (grade IV), septic inspector, subsurface waste water operator and backflow prevention. I am also a licensed general contractor, public utilities. I am certified in ICF (insulated concrete forms); I plan to build the basement of my house with ICF.

The only safety training I have done is OSHA 10. I take OSHA 30 in February. I suspect I also need training in 1) confined space and 2) trenching and excavation safety; they are offered at North Carolina State University.

My plan is to become a Federal contractor.

When I got business insurance recently they asked about written safety plans. I didn't know what they were talking about so I went to OSHA's website. They mentioned free consultation for businesses so I signed up.

Last edited:

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
OSHA 30, confined space, competent person training, trenching and excavating, etc are also available online which in my opinion is obviously more convenient and just as valuable when you have job site experience.

Since you have reached out to OSHA I would let them teach you what you need for your scopes of work and size of company. To start you need a written safety program, SDS manual formerly referred to as MSDS, employee training with documentation, competent person training, weekly safety meeting protocols and JSA's - job site safety analysis to be completed daily.

All that takes a little time and organization that you can easily handle. I would wager that OSHA is going to put the majority of the emphasis of the meeting on paperwork and you will not get much real job site advise as it's just not how they operate. OSHA puts the burden of the means and methods to comply with their rules on the company.

hosspuller

Are you dealing with Federal OSHA or NC's version ? I've worked with both Fed And NC state "Star" programs. A very worthwhile step in getting their help instead of their prod. You might be too small to be "Star" but you might ask.

esarratt

Occupation
Septic Installer
Are you dealing with Federal OSHA or NC's version ? I've worked with both Fed And NC state "Star" programs. A very worthwhile step in getting their help instead of their prod. You might be too small to be "Star" but you might ask.

NC OSHA.

I'll ask about Star.

Thank you.