• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Hyundai Excavators

BKrois

Charter Member
Occupation
Multi purpose
Just wondering if anyone has a Hyundai excavator? My friend just bought one at Conex through a dealer, he bought a brand new 290 which is around the same size as a Komatsu 300. The price was over $100k less for the same size machine, and Hyundai's warranty was 3 years vs Komatsu's 1 year warranty.

For what he paid for almost a 35 ton machine, is the same price as some guys are paying for new Cat 312CL's. Its just interesting how brand name can be worth $100k more. The Hyundai has Kawasaki hydraulics, Cummins motors and cat undercarriages i believe.

I don't know if its just me, but when is it worth it to switch brands, even if you're a loyal customer?

Tigerotor77W

Occupation
Engineer
I know a sewer contractor here runs a few Robex models and a wheel loader and has had good results with them. I'm sure you won't go wrong with any specific brand of excavator (in general), but what the price usually comes down to is how the dealer continues its support. Generally, Komatsu, Cat, and Deere dealers will service the machine no questions asked. Although a Hyundai dealer will likely do the same, what happens after the model is discontinued maybe a bit of a problem. Who knows. As far as I am concerned, I think Hyundai is just as much a competitor in the business is Kubota is a threat to Deere's compact tractor line.

coopers

I agree with you bobcat. I also think that there is not one company out there that doesn't make large tracked excavators that isn't a threat to the more common ones (Deere, Cat). It seems right now everyone is making good machines, volvo, link belt, case, hyundai etc. etc. Just a matter of who is closest to you for convenience and who has good customer service, good mechanic assistance etc.

Blake
WA

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
My concern would be the support should something go wrong. We bought a Hyundai car and I won't buy another. Every warranty issue requires 2 appointments to have the item fixed, one appointment for diagnosis and approval by a Hyundai representative, then a second appointment to have the repairs made. It doesn't matter how simple the job is.

I called about a stress crack in the instrument cluster bezel and was forced to bring the car in for confirmation before they would order the parts. Then it was a weeks wait for the part and appointment for repair. This has happened several times now with other repairs too.

If they have the same policy on the heavy equipment, down time will be extended. Is that something you can afford on an income generating machine?

kamerad47

that same stuff happened to me with a GM van too !!! dealers are bad all around. Hyundai excavators are not the same Co. Cat & Kom hold you for big $$ for there parts & service!!

woberlin

Occupation
excavating contractor/bodyshop owner
I don't think that for 100,000 price difference that I would be able to say no to the Hyundai if I was in the market for that size machine, especially with a 3 year warranty. I have not really heard anything bad about Hyundai machines, and there are quite a few around here.

CascadeScaper

Occupation
2nd year Operating Engineer Apprentice
I think that would be a fine deal to make, but you get what you pay for. A 3 year warranty is only worth the quality of the dealership you bought the machine from. Around here, there aren't any Hyundai dealers, I've never seen one anywhere. I tell ya though, I ran a brand new 312CL this weekend and boy are they smooth machines, lots of improvements over the B series, that's for sure. I'd be inclined to buy one tomorrow if I had the business to support such an investment.

triaxle

Occupation
CEO Mid-sized Grading Company
Can ya dig it?

Since 95 we have had a 311, a 315 and a 320. In that time none of these machines had any significant down time except the 320 which got a Cat warranty rebuild because it was consuming more oil than appropriate.

The import prices I see are attention getters and its hard to let product loyalty distract you from noticing that a Cat 320 ( a 20 metric ton machine)costs about the same as a Komatsu 300( a 30 metric ton hoe), both units with 3500 hours. ( and the 300 can load about 40-50 more dumptrucks in a day.)

I transport Hyundai trac-hoes out of the Port of Savannah to a heavy equipment dealer in Atlanta to keep our heavy hauler truck busy when our grading equipment is occupied for long periods. ( BobsGrading.com/heavyhaul)
As someone said in their response, there is significant difference from dealership to dealership in every product.
This is not intended as scientific, but The dealership I haul for is having very few service issues with the units it is moving and Hyundai has risen to their # 1 excavator product over the last five years.

I still remember when I wouldn't consider Komatsu because of many of the same reasons now raised about Hyundai. I believe commerce with Asia is becoming a part of our economic lives.
Fuel cost are getting worse, the money saved on the better priced gear could be the difference between peanuts for lunch.... or Hooters.

drewA82

I love the fact that everyone shares their ideas around here. I'm being schooled and it's fun. I'm looking forward to more adventures out here.

MIKE POIRIER

I find most equipment from abroad is built to last and always has been .

I see plenty of videos bashing and raising doubts about the same issues but i just find that ''made in america '' needs to get back to its roots of building quality products over keeping shareholders pockets filled.

cheers

Legdoc

Two stories I would like to share.

A few years ago I had a patient that worked as a fork lift operator at a large "American" heavy equipment manufacturer. He told me horror stories about the poor quality of globally sourced parts. As a well known highly respected HEF member has stated numerous times "it is a global economy". Regardless of what brand it is, they manufacture as cheap as they can and hope for the best within reason. Many have shareholders to keep happy with executives that want a big bonus. It is a competitive world out there.

Second story. My brother-in-law was a machine shop superintendent at a company that had a sister company that had a oil well service company. They had many workover rigs and business was good. They needed two new rigs at 1 million each. The Chinese reverse engineered a domestic rig. The price was $200,000 less than an American made unit. The China rig was all metric and did not have domestic controls, axles, engine or draw works. In their machine facility with extensive manual and CNC equipment could produce any replacement part needed. They didn't trust the build quality, metallurgy and passed on the fine China.

Welder Dave

I know a sewer contractor here runs a few Robex models and a wheel loader and has had good results with them. I'm sure you won't go wrong with any specific brand of excavator (in general), but what the price usually comes down to is how the dealer continues its support. Generally, Komatsu, Cat, and Deere dealers will service the machine no questions asked. Although a Hyundai dealer will likely do the same, what happens after the model is discontinued maybe a bit of a problem. Who knows. As far as I am concerned, I think Hyundai is just as much a competitor in the business is Kubota is a threat to Deere's compact tractor line.
Kubota was (maybe still is) the most popular compact tractor in N. America so your comparison is flawed. Most if not all American excavators are based on Japanese designs. Korean are getting a lot better as is China but I don't think all Asian excavators can be put in the same pile. Japan still has the highest quality and most advanced designs over other imports. Italy and Germany have some very advanced machines as well. Dealer support and speedy factory support for parts is a big deal. That's where it's worth the extra money to a lot of contractors.