1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Hyster H50XM transmission slippage

Discussion in 'Forklifts/Telehandlers' started by Deon, Apr 8, 2018.

1. Deon

Deon Senior Member

It's a 1994 model. Forklift just came back from the forklift mechanic but he is a Nissan guy, not use to working on Hysters. After new transmission oil and filter it now slips when trying to drive up a ramp when machine is cold but no longer slips when warmed up. Did not do that before fluid change. Could he have used the wrong oil to cause this. Some Hyster models use J20C spec Deere oil. Does anyone know if my H50XM uses the same oil?

2. tomo

tomo Member

J20c is the correct oil. Clutch packs might be worn out if you notice it in one direction. The old oil would of had more grip to it from the broken down clutch materials in it. I would test the pressures. Hope this helps.

Attached Files:

3. bunkclimber

bunkclimber Well-Known Member

I have two 1990 Hyster h40XLM diesels and all I run in the transmission is J20C spec oil..hope the mechanic did a flush out of the trans..but it sounds like you might be headed for a trans rebuild..not too hard to do once its on the bench..the labor hours are in the extracting from and reinstallation into the lift itself..both my XL machines drop into gear and pull cold or hot..slippage leads to more slippage..fix it now and save money,let it go and pay dearly as more parts will get damaged as you go..if it goes in one direction,the pump is OK, but its sounds like a clutch pack job or trans spool valve issue.might want to check the top of the trans where the valves are and see if the shift linkage is pulling or pushing the control spool valve fully into place..maybe needs some adjustment.FWIW

4. gtermini

gtermini Well-Known Member

Development Engineer (Building research equipment)
    Pulling the trans is the hardest part, but nothing too miserable once the mast is off. Ditto on the JD20C oil.

[​IMG]

5. bunkclimber

thats gettin 'er done..easy access to everything..I have a valve body job to do on one of mine..

6. bunkclimber

my Hyster XL valve body job turned into a complete trans overhaul.Pulled it just the same way as above,easy to do once the mast is off,drop it right down and out. About 4hrs start to finish,remove mast,drop out of chassis onto shop floor.