• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Hydrostatic Transmission Check on a 963 or 973.

Zembo

Hydrostatic Transmission Check. I’m looking to buy an eighties 963 or 973 with a Hydrostatic Transmission. I have never driven a Hydrostatic Transmission. What are some ways to check it out? How would one tell if it’s going bad or is good?

Best Regards,
Steve Z.

Cmark

This is a post from this thread which you may find useful.

You can't tell if one of these is OK just by looking and shunting it around a dealer's yard. You have to get it onto a decent piece of ground and if there's something to dig into, all the better.

I won't go into the engine, that's just the usual basic diesel engine stuff. This is only to check out the tranny.

Get it running and warm and do the following;

Engine on high idle and move the FNR very slowly to both forward and reverse and see if one track starts moving before the other. If so, that's a problem. Moving at medium slow speed, push one of the steering pedals slightly. Machine should start to turn with both tracks still driving. Push the pedal further and the inner track should stop. Push it to the floor and it should start to counterrotate. Try this in F&R, L&R. If it doesn't do any of the above, that's a problem. Move to about half throttle and repeat the tests. If it behaves differently, that's a problem.

Do the following all with the governor control at high idle.

Move the FNR to full speed. How fast does it go? If you've never driven one before, it's only going to be a subjective test, but as a guideline if you think "ho hum, here we go" then there's a problem. If you think "Jaysus, that's fast for a tracked machine!" it's probably OK. Repeat the above steering tests.

Does the engine seem to bog down excessively at full speed? Problem.

Lift the bucket a little and sight the crowd cylinder in line with an object in the distance, 50 yards or more away. The further the better. Start traveling to the object. It should travel in a straight line. Go into reverse. It should follow the track marks you've just made fairly well. Repeat the test at full speed. Does the machine veer off to one side more than a couple of feet.If so, that's a problem.

Travelling at full speed, slam the FNR into neutral. Does the machine pull up straight or lurch to one side? If it does, problem. If you haven't already, put the seat belt on and repeat using the centre brake pedal.

Travelling at full speed, drive into a (soft) pile of dirt. As the tracks begin to come under load, the engine should lug a little then stabilize at a fairly high RPM. Once the machine can't move forward any more, the tracks should continue to spin slowly with the engine revving happily away. If the engine bogs down or you have to move the FNR away from full to prevent the engine from stalling, That's a problem. Work the bucket to load up the front of the tractor. The tracks will slow down some as the engine starts to supply power to the hydraulics, but you should have to dig in pretty hard to make the tracks stall, especially if you're on worn-out three bar pads.

Try and find a hill. Park on it then set off. The machine shouldn't roll back any.

Good luck.

Zembo

I appreciate your response. Thank you for sharing. If I find anything not right as you described, thus the transmission is bad, am I right to think it will just stop working completely one day soon ? Once it is going bad, could it still work for a couple of years, months, or days?

Also,

I found a 977K close to me. The owner says it will not drive, but it cranks, runs, and all the hydraulics work. He said everything worked when it was parked. I’m already asking how long ago did he park it?

Any ideas on what to repair, the effort and cost?

Best Regards,

Steve Z.

ankara

You should put the transmission in test position and see the test values.
Also, the diesel engine should be good, at least the injectors should be good.
Because if the injector is bad in these machines, the engine generally does not lose speed, the transmission loses power.