• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Hydraulic thumb lock

AdamsExcavating

looking to purchase and or fabricate a lock for my hydraulic thumb to eliminate drift down. Looking for ideas, I like the patented lock rockland uses on their stick mounted thumbs and wondered if it would be possible to purchase that mechanism and fabricate onto my stick and thumb because I like the idea of not having to enter/exit the cab every time I want to utilize the thumb as we use it quite often. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• DCBA3E02-1498-43A8-9443-E9EA1A764958.png
    DCBA3E02-1498-43A8-9443-E9EA1A764958.png
    923.5 KB · Views: 54
  • 4B8AF8AD-ADC0-4790-8937-32F9D83B5FFA.jpeg
    4B8AF8AD-ADC0-4790-8937-32F9D83B5FFA.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 53
  • C4F3B4A2-B726-4EC1-8C97-D493BABAB1B7.jpeg
    C4F3B4A2-B726-4EC1-8C97-D493BABAB1B7.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 53

GregsHD

Occupation
Self Employed HD Mechanic
Have you spent any time troubleshooting the cylinder drifting problem?

I wound be more keen on stopping the internal leakage rather than having an extra device to lock the thumb up.

Wes J

Sounds like you just need a huge detent spring. When you open the thumb fully, it snaps into the spring detent. The spring is strong enough to hold it from drifting, but not so strong the hydraulics cannot push it out.

Bls repair

Occupation
Equipment operator,mechanic
Try turning the hydraulic on ,off valves to the cylinder off . If the cylinder leaks down,it is bypassing . If it doesn’t you can use them to hold the thumb . I have used the valves to adjust the speed of travel of the thumb by partially opening the valves.

uffex

Occupation
Admin
Good day
I would be inclined to go towards Gregs suggestion installing a simple lock valve in the rod side of the circuit would resolve the issue.
Kind regards
Uffex

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Thumb cylinders and thumbs are all made by after market manufacturers and are price sensitive. One of the places where money is saved is on the cost of the cylinders. Most that I've seen leak down when new and the failure rate is several times higher than an OE built cylinder.

What I have seen is a tab welded on the cylinder base mount that a locking pin can be inserted in to hold the thumb in the open position. That might be a little tight since yours is not a progressive linkage type thumb.