• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Hydraulic Shop wrecked dump cylinder and charges me to fix it? Is that common?

Welder Dave

I'm curious how a cylinder can be considered "junk" because it needs new seals? When they ran into problems, they should have called, not after they damaged it beyond repair. If he would have told them to try and get it loose after they told him there was a problem, then they are off the hook, not before. Perhaps if he had been told there was a problem, he could have posted on here and got some better idea's to get it apart like pounding on it with a hammer to loosen the threads.

Reminds me of mechanic, who ran the service department for a motorcycle dealer, that took his motorhome into a rad shop to get a new rad and they said they could repair it and charged him $600 to fix it and take it out and put back in. He didn't make it 100 miles before it started leaking again. He nursed it along for his trip and came back for a new rad. They charged him another $1100 and didn't give him any credit at all for the rad they said they could repair. The rad shop used to have an excellent reputation and he had used them several times over the years. Now the son's of the original owner were running it and the quality and service went downhill so much, the shop ended up going bankrupt. He wasn't expecting a full credit but figured they could give him a break on the labour and knock a couple hundred bucks off since he originally wanted a new rad but they said they could fix his old one.

Last edited: