• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Hydraulic sealant

Volvomad

I need to reseal a grub screw on a valve block (3000 psi) . Would good stud lock do the trick ?

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
If you mean bearing and sleeve mount, it depends on how clean and dry you get the mating parts. If you follow the instructions and use the spray primer, it will take an act of God to undo or get to leak.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Not familiar with what you are working on but one word of caution about using thread lock or stud lock.

If using the primer have all tools at hand before starting assembly because it will set up very fast the second you stop turning the screw!

Actually heating will break the bond but needs to get to around 350ºF which may be a problem for some applications.

So be sure you are ready and have everything in place before applying the Locker!

TVA

I might be mistaken, but I don’t remember seeing grub/set screws in the high pressure parts of the system that are by themselves!
The set screws that on high pressure side either pushing the piston with O-ring(s), or have crush washers or bonded washe, or both.

I think if your grub screw is leaking it means something else is leaking inside.

Volvomad

The screw is closing off a cross drilling through the unit . I must find out about a primer .

TVA

Then it is not a grub screw but a plug. Plug can be taper threaded or o-ring. Are you trying to use set screw in tapered thread?

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
How about a photo so everyone can see what you're looking at..?
A bit of context about the machine would go a long way to help as well.
Yes this sounds strange! If not tapered and no flange or head does it bottom out in the hole? Otherwise what would stop it from baking out or working it's way in?

Volvomad

It is in a valve block in the base of a quick hitch cylinder and originaly had some kind of sealant . The pin at the base or the cylinder broke and as it runs close to this plug it distorted the the hole slightly and broke the original sealer . I will try and get a photo up in a few days if i can find my camera