• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Hydraulic oil vs Tractor transmission oil

hosspuller

I just got a woodchipper. It has a hydraulic feed consisting of a gear pump and hydraulic motor. Plus speed and direction control. A simple manual system, no servos or pilot valves.

Manufacturer recommends ISO 32 hydraulic oil. Is there any downside to using a tractor transmission fluid that's designed for the common sump? (that feeds the transmission & tractor hydraulic system)

The key difference is the hydraulic motor of the chipper. And the transmission & brakes of the tractor. Many tractors have a gear pump to pressurize the system. Yet, some farm implements (planter, baler, etc. ) use hydraulic motors that run from the tractor hydraulics.

I wonder if the friction modifiers for the tractor clutches & brakes causes an issue with the hydraulic motor swash plate.

Your thoughts and experience is appreciated.

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
You should be just fine. I know of several outfits that run tractor fluid in excavators and they are still going. (not something I would do) and some hydrostat systems recommend tractor fluid (Depending on manufacturer)

hosspuller

RZ … The issue is availability. Seems all the local stores have tractor fluid of various obsolete specs (like Deere J20C ) but not a true ISO 32. Happy homeowner with an old Ford Jubilee is pouring what ever oil he gets into it... while most leaks out

As you said, likely fine but for a little more effort & $ I wonder if getting hydraulic oil without the tractor specific additives is worth it.