• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Hydraulic hose repair or replace

Main hydraulic hose... Band-aid it or replace it?

• Total voters

Jeepasaurus

Good evening,

The main 1.5" hydraulic hose that goes from the implement pump to the distribution block on my CAT 248B has a wear spot and it has exposed the metal braid. The braid hasn't been damaged... yet. I'm curious your thoughts on wrapping it with an an old hydraulic hose and zip ties or a piece of tire or... suggestions?. Or do I just bring it into a hydraulic shop and have them make a new one? (CAT wants $345 for a new one).
20230206_193343.jpg

The reason this happened is that there is a metal clamp that holds that hose down at the bottom of the belly... and that clamp failed. I've got a replacement clamp from CAT on order so it doesn't happen again.

Thanks,
Kyle

Delmer

Looks like you haul it around and use it regularly so probably best to replace it. Nice to change it on your schedule and before you lose $100 of oil, instead of after.

Usually a hose that shows the wire is cracked and letting water in, then the wire rusts and it's just a matter of time. There's worse hoses than that out there, if I was going to run that, I'd cover it with permatex silicone, then a tire sidewall and the original clamp.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Or do I just bring it into a hydraulic shop and have them make a new one? (CAT wants $345 for a new one).
I would suggest you check with the hydraulic shop for a price before condemning the OEM hose as super-expensive. Maybe you should also consider the importance of the hose function in your decision whether to go to the hose shop or OEM.? If were to let go bad things could happen very quickly to some extremely expensive components and would cost a lot more than $100-worth of oil.

Jonas302

Well its shot how long it will last is anyones guess 2 days or 5 years really we have all seen them go either way because it feeds all the functions before the valves meaning it will dump everything and you wont be able to drive it to a convenient location for repairs I would be very inclined to put it on the repair list

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
What everyone is saying is to do your home work. Can you measure the length and identify the fittings before you pull the hose out? Can you tell what kind of hose it is? There should be some kind of ID on the hose itself, printed, molded or embossed.

When you take the hose out, will it drain you system on the ground? Can you obtain some kind of plug to hold the oil in while you replace it?

Nige

There should be some kind of ID on the hose itself, printed, molded or embossed.
The hose Part Number should be on a 1/4"-wide aluminium tag wrapped around the hose right next to one of the end fittings. With that P/N I could identify the specifications of the bulk hose and the fittings that are used to make it.

Volvomad

What condition is the rest of the hose in? Is it gone hard/stiff or perished? Do u use the machine much? Apart from the oil cost would a major leek cause big problems?
I like Delmers fix and it could go along way .
if u are clocking up hours the oem hose is not very expensive and agree with Nige that a premium brand from a hose shop may not be much cheaper.

Jeepasaurus

What everyone is saying is to do your home work. Can you measure the length and identify the fittings before you pull the hose out? Can you tell what kind of hose it is? There should be some kind of ID on the hose itself, printed, molded or embossed.

When you take the hose out, will it drain you system on the ground? Can you obtain some kind of plug to hold the oil in while you replace it?
Homework was done. The implement pump is currently out of the machine as it is being repaired at a local hydraulic shop. So, right now the system is already drained. Initially I found a smaller wear mark, and decided to take the hose out. Once the hose was out of the machine I found the larger wear mark that I attached in my first post. I cleaned up the hose and attached some more photos. Just looking for opinions on what others would do if they were in my position and recommendations from people that do this type of work for a living.

Here's the markings that are repeated on the hose (the hose is about 70" in length):
20230212_204333.jpg
Here are the hose ends. The end on the right is what attaches to the implement pump and it has a CAT part number stamped on it... which would lead me to believe it is proprietary, but that is just a guess on my part. The part number for the fitting on the right is 153-0834. And when entering that into CAT parts website it says it was replaced by part number 496-2307.
20230212_204458.jpg

The hose Part Number should be on a 1/4"-wide aluminium tag wrapped around the hose right next to one of the end fittings. With that P/N I could identify the specifications of the bulk hose and the fittings that are used to make it.
I have a parts manual for the machine and looked up the part number to initially get a price from CAT. And the hose does indeed have an aluminum tag with the correct part number. The part number is 218-6817.

What condition is the rest of the hose in? Is it gone hard/stiff or perished? Do u use the machine much? Apart from the oil cost would a major leek cause big problems?
I like Delmers fix and it could go along way .
if u are clocking up hours the oem hose is not very expensive and agree with Nige that a premium brand from a hose shop may not be much cheaper.
The rest of the hose seems fine. It isn't hard or brittle. The machine is for home/farm use.
Here's a photo of the whole hose:
20230212_204638.jpg

With everyone's input, the fact that the system is already drained, and my very smart wife said, "Order the hose from CAT and stop thinking about it." this morning... I think I'll get the order placed.

John Griffin

Homework was done. The implement pump is currently out of the machine as it is being repaired at a local hydraulic shop. So, right now the system is already drained. Initially I found a smaller wear mark, and decided to take the hose out. Once the hose was out of the machine I found the larger wear mark that I attached in my first post. I cleaned up the hose and attached some more photos. Just looking for opinions on what others would do if they were in my position and recommendations from people that do this type of work for a living.

Here's the markings that are repeated on the hose (the hose is about 70" in length):
View attachment 280092
Here are the hose ends. The end on the right is what attaches to the implement pump and it has a CAT part number stamped on it... which would lead me to believe it is proprietary, but that is just a guess on my part. The part number for the fitting on the right is 153-0834. And when entering that into CAT parts website it says it was replaced by part number 496-2307.
View attachment 280093

I have a parts manual for the machine and looked up the part number to initially get a price from CAT. And the hose does indeed have an aluminum tag with the correct part number. The part number is 218-6817.

The rest of the hose seems fine. It isn't hard or brittle. The machine is for home/farm use.
Here's a photo of the whole hose:
View attachment 280098

With everyone's input, the fact that the system is already drained, and my very smart wife said, "Order the hose from CAT and stop thinking about it." this morning... I think I'll get the order placed.

I think this is a cry once situation. Buy it and be done. Its already out and drained. There will be no better time.

Nige

XT-6 hose. That stuff (or the SAE100R15 equivalent to it) even in 1"-bore hose, is not cheap..........
CAT. And the hose does indeed have an aluminum tag with the correct part number. The part number is 218-6817.
If the replacement hose does not come with a tag put the one from the old hose on it. You never know quite when those tags can come in useful.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
You can find equivalent at any hose and fitting place. Both ends crimped on. The flange side is code 62. The swivel nut side appears to be o ring face seal. Measure the flange diameter on both sides and then call a supplier or two. They will ask you about anything you might have missed.

It is worth at least making a call.

Nige

I personally don't think that hose is in bad enough condition to shut a job down to replace it. I'd armor it and make a point of changing it at next service or something like that.
I think that while the machine is down anyway for a pump overhaul it makes sense to replace that hose before reinstalling the pump.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
I think that while the machine is down anyway for a pump overhaul it makes sense to replace that hose before reinstalling the pump.
Agree! If the hose is off might as well replace it.

I just picture water having worked it's way down those wires and starting them to rust. Once that goes far enough the hose will rupture. If you are not fast enough to kill the engine you might risk the pump you just put on to run dry and fail.

Plus if your luck is like mine it will fail while in the middle of a low wet spot and now you will be changing it while swimming in oily mud!