• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Hydraulic flushing.

Mobilewrench

I was looking for a thread that I ran across by nige a few months ago about mixing hydraulic oils. Specifically, low ash or zinc less oils and I can't seem to find it. Found a few posts about hydraulic flushing and rather than post on old threads I thought I would start a new one.
As far as I can tell, none of my local heavy machinery dealers is set up to do this. I have asked, I even actually got talked into working for my local cat dealer a few years ago (long story, service manager was a friend. Plus it was a rainy season and I found myself wistfully looking at their covered service bays) so I know that they cant.
This is off topic, but..
Other than software, I am better equipped than any of my local dealers service wise. That actually blows my mind. The absolute best diagnostic tech I know on this island is actually paid less than a cdl dump truck driver at union contractor. How is that possible when the tech has to have somewhere between 30 and 100k worth of tools? That isn't even adding in a decent service truck. The truck driver provides.... What? A lunch box?
I am not disrespecting truck drivers. A good truck driver is worth his weight in gold. ( just to be snarky, most of my local drivers are pretty hefty).

I have a few problem machines on my mind and think that maybe it is time that I buy a hydraulic filtration cart. The primary purpose would be to deal with water contamination. I run into that a lot. People leave buckets of oil out in the elements for long periods of time and then just pour them into tanks without looking.
Specifically, I have a couple of excavators that I think are suffering from cross oil contamination. A pc 78 that has valve spools that seemed to have been glued in place and a Hitachi zx 135 that I think has a gummed up suction screen.

So, I am looking for opinions on which filtration cart to buy. I am also asking for info on best practices to use them In regards to filtration media and flushing solutions.

(Hey, treemulcher? I have a couple questions about using diesel fuel)

I truly love this forum. Even at the end of the worst day, when I cannot even deal with another service call, I cruise the recent posts to see if I may be able to help someone impossibly far away with a problem I might be able to help.