• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Hydraulic fluid for older machines

maddog

Hey folks I'm wondering what weight/type hydraulic fluid should be used in older machines? I stated in another post that I'm getting an older hein werner{C14A}. I'm just not sure what hydraulic fluid to use, I'd imagine that an insley bantam etc... would probably use the same type???? Thanks again for all the help with my machines, this site is awsome.

daman

Occupation
Agriculture,Truck Driver,Mechanic
An older unit like that has probably worn seals/packings, valves stuff like that so a thicker oil like any AW 68 or 100 hydraulic oil would probably work.

maddog

Thanks I've beed going nutz trying to find any info. So you feel the thicker oil would be a better bet? That is what I was thinking but was not sure.

daman

Occupation
Agriculture,Truck Driver,Mechanic
I've never owned a hein werner but have had lots of hyd equipment etc,and they all seem to like thicker oil's IMO as they age,they just seem to perform little better as that oil gets hot/up to temp.

maddog

thanks again, I have some newer machinery and when it's cold, it runs much better with AW32. I doubt I'll be using the hein werner during cold weather, and what your writting make sense :)

stock

Occupation
We have moved on and now were lost....
My bet would be for a ISO 32 or 46 hydraulic oil but this depends on the local climate,if it is hot then use a heavier oil and the opposite if it cold.Back in the 70's -80's we used a 15w40 C3 engine oil, the C3 was a Cat spec it made things simple as all you needed was one oil for engine and hydraulics.

Chris5500

Occupation
Plant Mechanic
You can't beat thick old on ye olde machines, try this here shell mine gear 1500!