• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Hydraulic cylinder spanner

Irish in oz

Occupation
fitter
Has anybody on here ever made large ring spanners to open the gland nut on a cylinder. Just wondering what methods you use to draw the shape of the nut on the steel you will use . If i know that it needs to end up being 140mm spanner is that enough or do i need to know how long 1 of the flats on the nut are. Basically how do you mark the hexagon on the steel :)

Old Doug

If I can i cut a hole in the steel i am going to use so it will fit over what ever is in the way then grind it so it is clean and bright then take a magic marker and make it black were i need to mark then hold it up aginst the nut and scrib the line with a pick in the black. Center punch the corners in side the line and drill the 6 points. Then cut between the holes. I save truck springs, mower blades and wear edges to make stuff like this because it can be hardend.

caterpillar028

Occupation
HGV mechanic and fleet repairs
i had to do grand seals recentaly and found to make the spanner was to do as mentioned and use a cardboard template and make it out on the steel when i make the last one i did i found drilling the holes at the 6 corners to be a great help the just cut stright lines in between with the burners

paul

twr

[
ATTACH]124940[/ATTACH]
What we do is measure the nut from point to point and draw a circle that size with compass and with the same setting on compass make 6 marks around the circle that will give you your flats for the wrench.The other one we burned out for a 5"nut and slotted the sides for 3/4 bolts it will go down to about 11/2

Attachments

• IMG_1131.JPG
    IMG_1131.JPG
    59.6 KB · Views: 517

clintm

Occupation
trucking,concrete recycling,grading, demolition
any body got any pict's or drawings of a custom made hyd table I've always wanted to build one I have a big 150 ton press with movable bed thought about incorporating it into the design some how

Firemanmike69

any body got any pict's or drawings of a custom made hyd table I've always wanted to build one I have a big 150 ton press with movable bed thought about incorporating it into the design some how

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412426165.351078.jpg
That's the one we made at our shop I'll get more pics if I remember on Monday