• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Hydraulic cooler on telehandlers?

Speedpup

Occupation
President and all else that needs done!
I see the newer Lull 944E has them any other machines have it? I heard some people have put them on 144C-54 because of over heating the hydraulic oil and premature hose failures. I also read it hurts the life of the seals if to hot.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Yes, speedpup, hot oil is a machine killer. Over time, hot oil will turn o-ring seals and hoses hard as a rock. With that said, many of the older telehandlers didn't really need a cooler on the hyd system because many had very large reservoir tanks to dissapate the heat before it returned to the working system. Newer machine designs have compacted machines and components somewhat. Likewise, hyd tanks have gotten slightly smaller. Now hyd coolers have become necessary on the hyd systems of these machines. As for your machines, regardless of model, if they are running fairly cool on hyd oil, not really necessary to add cooler, cold hyd oil is no better for components operations than hot oil being hard on seals. Generally speaking, operate one of your machines for a couple hours and carefully place your hand on the hyd tank. If the tank is just warm, your good. But, if you can only leave your hand there a couple of seconds until it becomes uncomfortable, you should consider installing an oil cooler. Hope this helps ya. ;)

Speedpup

Occupation
Yea I was wondering if the tanks were smaller. In this economy I have no need to worry hot oil ;) The way this year looks wonder if I'll get to turn the keys on them!:beatsme

thanks for the info Paul!

Framer

What about installing a hydraulic heater for winter?

What would someone think about installing a hydraulic fluid heater in the tank of a telehandler? Are most ISO-22 fluids similair in quality? The dealer used shell 22 standard when I bought my machine. When I changed the fluid I used esso aka exon. Would using a synthetic be crazyAre any better than others? I use ISO 22x in my machine. Is this to light for summer. Temps here in alberta are average -17c overnite in winter and 0c 32f during the day. That said seen -12c in early oct this year as daytime high. What do you think about even runinng a machine @ -20c

Speedpup

Occupation
Takes me 20 minutes in the morning id it is 20* F to get to steer mine easy.