• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

hydraulic bleeding down unless full pedal engagement

Josh Frye

Hi. Im new on here and i have a Bobcat 722 Skid steer that runs great and i have changed wheel seals and bearings and the valve body and done a full service. Im not really seeing any leaks anywhere, but when I lift the bucket and do not do full engagement of the pedal it goes straight down... not sure what is going on seeing how i replaced the valves with new OEM ones and its still doing the same thing. please any help would be great!

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
You likely have a bad piston seal in one or both cylinders. I would start by removing and repacking the one that gets warm first while working.

Josh Frye

Really? I guess I thought that would be more of the bleeding down when holding a position, but seemed odd it would go down when doing small adjustment up and when doing more heavy adjustments with the lift it works ok. thanks for the quick reply! appreciate it!

Josh Frye

Well there bleed down when lifted and its pretty fast pressure sure I need to rebuild both cylinders, but my big issue when i apply the pedal to make smaller movements it acts like its in float and drops the bucket to the ground fast even when going up. If I apply full pedal then it will go up but then will drop down slightly when reached desired height then over time bleed all the way down. Sorry having trouble describing the issue I'm having in a message haha. Thanks for the patience! I do believe the lift cylinders do need rebuilt. Im just wondering if there is a valve that may not be working properly and needs replaced or some check valve of some sort. Outside of the Valve body unit and cylinders is there anything else that would cause an issue like this?

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
Do you have an option spool associated with the levers or pedals that may be sticking? Do you have a return to dig function? Not likely with a skidder but who knows. It sounds like a load check or load holding valve fault but you state you've replaced the main control.

Josh Frye

I replaced the whole valve assembly and there was no change. this is exactly what i got. It was actually hard to find haha
p.jpg

Josh Frye

the hydraulics are pedal not levers and there isn't a return to dig function. It does bleed down when the lift cylinders are in the air but its slow unlike when you do a partial pedal to lift, up too half engagement, but after half engagement of the pedal it will rise. When you raise it to desired level and let go of pedal it will then drop the bucket a couple inches and hold/slowly bleed down over time.