• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Hyd chainsaw

farmerlund

Occupation
Farmer/ excavator
Good afternoon folks. I was thinking abut building some sort of fire wood cutter attachment for my loader. I have been looking around for a hydraulic chainsaw. I want one with a pivot that I could run with a little hyd cylinder. something around a 30" bar would be nice.
Anybody have a source for this setup? Used would be fine to. not much logging stuff in North Dakota to pick over. LOL.

Thanks

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
One off of a slasher would do the trick. I know of one for sale....just haven’t gotten up there to get it!

Plebeian

Halverson grapple saw for wheel loader. harvester saw bar 29.5 inch

https://halversonwoodproducts.com/content/UPDATED SPECS 120-140B-GRAPPLE-Inverted Splitter.pdf

Plenty of firewood type processors that have had the designs etc signed off by engineers etc.
Halverson and a few others are fairly basic. Can be put on an excavator etc
skid-steer
tractor
mini-excavator

or build a super woodsplitter - no harvester bar saw and chain necessary. Hydraulic ram power and sharp steel

Last edited:

Ronsii

Occupation
s/e Heavy equipment operator
I've seen some stanley's and other more name brands on ebay go for 4-6 hundred... but then you'd still have to make a mount and swivel plus add hydraulics.... on the other hand I know a guy that removed one from a pull through delimber cause it made the unit to high for the way he was transporting it and he never used the headsaw feature anyways.... I would suspect there are quite a few units like that around that guys have removed the headsaw unit.... it had at least a 26 inch bar running 404 I think.... had less than a 3 second cycle time cutting max diameter with the 4 cylinder deere powerplant under the hood :)

farmerlund

Occupation
Farmer/ excavator
Would love a used dangle head. Have you been to ND? No used logging equipment with in 500 miles. LOL.
Plus most trees here are not laser straight. Can you cut a oak or ash tree with one?

Hallback

Occupation
Gyppo tower logger
Yes, you can use one with hardwoods. 500 miles is peanuts compared to the headaches of building, tearing apart, building & rebuilding. You would have 500 cord bucked by then.